Citrix Training For Beginner
Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:50 PM
Since my new employer uses Citrix, I need some basic training.
Do you know any simulation software ?
Since I don't have any licence, I think I can't install Citrix Presentation Server.
Thanks in advance,
Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:28 PM
Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:31 AM
Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:39 AM
Codename ECTE - Enterprise Citrix Training Environment
-->For EDUCATIONAL use only!
This is a collection Windows 2K3sp1 server appliances with various Citrix installation environments built in vmware.
OS3 is PS4.5 Beta for any interested people.
All servers in ECTE start with the same base 2k3sp1 install. From there they are customised to suit the various TE's required. The bonus in doing this is that the 2Gig's required for a base install is only required once. When a new server is required, you just copy the template files (only 2.25Mb's) and rename them, then open the new *.vmx file and rename it in vmware (These are technically post Snapshot files). Then 1st thing that runs after the OS boots is newsid where you give the new server instance a new name and SID to make it unique. Then install whatever software you require.
OS1 is a domain controller with exchange 2k3sp2 and a SQL2k5 Express Citrix Database and ISA2k6 for practice with citrix firewall configurations. This has 2 virtual network cards, one for internal and one for external network segments. Active directory is configured with domain citrix.45 .Being a TE, only basic install configurations have been done with exchange and ISA, so it's up to you to set these up correctly.
OS2 is a standard install of the Citrix Access Essentials pack. It needs a farm to connect to before it is useful.
OS3 is the BETA of Presentation Server 4.5 release. It has been installed with an access database and can be standalone. It is not yet part of the domain. No applications have been installed; this part is all up to you.
OS4 is the current release of Presentation Server 4.0 with Password Manager 4.0. It has been installed with an access database and can be standalone. It not yet part of the domain. No applications have been installed and PM4 needs configuration, this part is all up to you.
OS5 (Advanced) is a SQL2k5 Enterprise Edition basic install. This is intended for use with enterprise farm database storage and configuration and low level understanding of the structure of the enterprise farm database. Again, SQL2k5 is installed but the citrix database is not - that's your homework.
OS6 is from which all other's cometh. As said above, if you need a new server, copy and past these files, rename them and then use newsid to make it unique on the network. When you start a new instance from the template vmware will ask you if you would like to create a new uuid, select .
- The virtual network adapter is set to communicate with , which means an adapter created by the vmware installer so virtual machines only talk to each other and Host PC and are not part of your LAN. If you distribute the virtual machines over a few pc's then you will need to change this to - See next note
- OS1 has a DHCP server; this may cause trouble with your local network if you don't know what you are doing.
- There is a very useful and potentially destructive little app on the desktop, use with caution.
- OS2,3,4,5,6 are all configured with 196Mb of ram but will be more responsive the more ram you allocate.
- OS1 is configured with 256Mb ram which simply isn't enough for a server running AD, exchange and ISA (It does work but very slowly). It would be much happier with more than 500Mb.
- Don't defrag the VM's hard drives as this will increase the amount of space taken up on your pc's hard drive without improving performance.
- If you have 2 processors or a dual core processor change your virtual processors to 2 on the vmware console to increase performance
- There are no citrix license files, but as an admin user you get full access to citrix anyway.
- After the creation of a new server the virtual hard drive files will increase to about 600Mb because the clear pagefileatshutdown option is set, so make sure you have space for this.
- www.brianmadden.com is a good place for info about citrix
- File system config example
c:\Virtual Machines\ECTE - base virtual hard drive files citrix.vmdk and Citrix-s00*.vmdk
c:\Virtual Machines\ECTE\a - Citrix-A.vmx, Citrix-000001.vmdk and Citrix-000001-s00*.vmdk
c:\Virtual Machines\ECTE\b - Citrix-B.vmx, Citrix-000001.vmdk and Citrix-000001-s00*.vmdk
I have made a separate "Citrix ISO's" torrent which has all the Citrix Install ISO's i used + some i didn't.
This is required to install -
- Citrix Licensing Server
- Citrix PS4.5 Streaming Server
- New installs from scratch (without cloning existing machines)
See torrent for more details
VMware-server-installer-1.0.1-29996.exe - Free from www.vmware.com
CPU - as fast as possible and as many as possible
Memory - Heaps (The more you have the more OS's can run simultaneously)
Hard drive space - 11 Gigs extracted (plus more as OS's grow)
2 Network cards - preferred but not required
A few computers to share the load - you will have to have a copy of the base files on each pc of course.
Preconfigured Operating Systems' configurations -
2k3 sp1 - Domain Controller
Domain - citrix.45
Hostname - Citrix-DC
Exchange 2k3 sp2
SQL2k5 Express Citrix Database
Workgroup - citrix
Hostname - Citrix-A
Citrix Access Essentials
Workgroup - citrix
Hostname - Citrix-B
Presentation Server 4.5 Beta
- Local access database
- Farm Citrix
Workgroup - citrix
Hostname - Citrix-C
Presentation Server 4
- Local access database
- Farm Citrix-C
Password Manager 4
SQL2k5 Enterprise Edition
Intended use for enterprise farm database storage and configuration
Not required for simple farm configurations - use access db or SQL2k5express
OS6 - Template
Glarty's Homework Challenges -
- Open all management consoles and find out what they are for.
- Install and publish applications
- Configure AD with a logical structure for user accounts and resource access.
- Install terminal server licensing server
- Install and configure Citrix licensing server - needs iso - get Citrix ISO's torrent for this
- Access citrix through all three interfaces - ICA, PN, PNA
- Join all servers to domain
- Migrate all Citrix servers to use SQL2k5 express on Citrix-DC
- Using group policy deploy msi applications and publish.
- Using Citrix package manager to deploy applications.
- Set up a Citrix policy to allow shadowing for admins.
- Configure printing policies and driver distribution to other citrix servers.
- Install the client components for the web interface
- Configure Password Manager with and without AD integration
- Configure ISA with firewall exceptions for citrix to simulate internet access.
- Clone OS4 and create a load balanced application server (newsid is in root of c:\)
- Create Citrix farm database on OS5 SQL server
- Optimise SQL server for this implementation
- Migrate all Citrix servers to use this SQL server
- Create a CSG (Citrix Secure Gateway) and configure ISA to suit (don't have the media, maybe some1 can upload it).
- Install and configure PS4.5 Streaming extensions - get Citrix ISO's torrent for this
(I have no idea how this works - someone else can make an appliance from the template files and upload the Snapshot files when they get it working)
Learn & Enjoy
PS - Maybe a few citrix gurus can put a walk thru (or link to) in the comments to help others learn something useful about Citrix
Edited by Devil Soul, 02 July 2008 - 12:42 AM.
Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:16 AM
Just started today for collecting info about citrix
Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:28 AM
when i try with below link i see page cannot be displayed.
what should i put [nofileshares]its little confusing.
please help me out on this
Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:49 PM
Please email me at email@example.com
Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:33 AM
Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:28 PM
I would like to recommend Koenig Solutions is a leading IT training company, renowned all over the world as the most preferred training organization amongst corporate, government and individual professionals all over the globe. Koenig offers courses and certifications on Microsoft, Cisco, VMWare, Oracle, SAS, SAP, Cloudera, RedHat, Salesforce, PMI, Citrix and many more. For more information visit website: http://www.koenig-so...on-courses.aspx
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users