• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bassanio

Bassanio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:18 AM

Please What is the difference between domain controller & Server I know the DC do the Authentication & Authorization Job then what the server doing only sharing files I feel my information it was very poor about that subject. thanx

#2 Bassanio

Bassanio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:27 AM

Please What is the difference between domain controller & Server I know the DC do the Authentication & Authorization Job then what the server doing only sharing files I feel my information it was very poor about that subject. thanx

Hi buddies i found that

Domain Controllers store directory data and manage communication between users and domains, including user logon processes,Authentication and directory searches.When you install Active Directory on computer running Windows Server 2003, the computer become a Domain Controller........ who has any extra information post it don't be stingy. Thanx

#3 talent pk

talent pk

Cisco Newbie

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4028 posts
  • Interests:Oracle

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

A very Newbie indeed. Server is a general term of any Computer powerful enough to carry services to its client computers. any PC could be a server if it is to offer some service.

Domain Controller is essentially a server offering an All in all Authentication and granting access to network resources such as files and servers and printers.

A Server storing and sharing files to its users is usually called a File Server. if you were to remotely accessing it via internet connection or VPN. You would also let SERVER run an FTP service. so that would now be considered as an FTP server.

I hope now you got the difference between a Server and Domain Controller. Server is a Computer wherease Domain Controller is a service offered by a Server

Edited by talent pk, 13 October 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#4 MrBishop

MrBishop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

I know many others have answered your question but you still might be a little confused. The difference between the two is that one(AD) actually controls how the domain(your internal network) is divided and accessed. Now a domain controller(AD) can provide many services but now really recommended, like DNS, FTP, Proxy, DHCP, etc. Now you don't really want to run these services on your primary domain controller, so you put them on member server and turn on these services, like a web server on one server, and ftp server on another, a dns server running on another server.

#5 toti

toti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

A Microsoft domain controller is simply a server that manages autenthication of users and machines(PC's, Printers,other servers...) in your domain using Active directory tree.

#6 dellmerca

dellmerca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

Check here........Difference between Authentication and Authorization

Dell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users