• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#91 afrmonteiro

afrmonteiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

i need to know which is the best matrail for CCNP (SWITCH)

I'm using student guide for ROUTE, and all I can say is that its a very soft learning/reading. After that, I'll watch CBT Nuggets and that's it. For SWITCH, I'll do exactly the same. Although, for CCNA I read the official study guide from cisco press.

Hope it helps.

best regards

#92 telecomm

telecomm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

Yes, you can use them. Concept is the same, there are only minor changes in concept. For example there no QoS in switching anymore and no IS-IS in routing, etc... If you want more details, look here

http://www.trainsign...ams/2010-02-17/

hey thanks a lot bud..

one more question though, i mastered the ccna inside out, and i finished readin the bsci book i had, it seemed very easy to me. i also finished reading the bcmsn book twice and now going through it again.. it also seemed really easy, am i missing some serious content form these books or studying hard for ccna is helping me? any input on this would be highly appreciated. from what i've heard ccnp is supposed to be really hard. but i've found it really easy so far..

my aim is to acheive ccie and then get some security certs.. would it be better to finish off ccnp and go security path or finish of ccie?? what are the prospects of ccie within the next few years??

and also, is there a place where i can purchase the new ebooks for new ccnp for really cheap prices??

thanks.

#93 dshowell

dshowell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

They don't cover ISIS anymore, since it is not even supported on many Cisco devices now. They also don't cover much QoS. Wireless has been left to the CCNP wireless courses as well as the in depth QoS.

BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, Rip are all still covered on the ROUTE exam and in the SWITCH exam to some extent.
STP and its many variants are covered in the SWITCH exam as well as the sub-components. Ie root ruard, loop guard, port fast etc etc.
HSRP, VRRP and GLBP are still covered as well on the SWITCH exam.

There are even a few questions on the SWITCH test that are not covered in the book. Planning and such. You would have to look in the CCDP material. I don't know how they get away with asking questions on subject that are not in their "official certification guide". My test has 3 simulations, and a testlet as well as several drag and drops. I am not going to go into what was on them, due to the NDA. One of them was really easy. One was easy but time consuming. The last was more difficult. One thing I will say is that the time consuming sim was not working correctly. Three or four of us came out of the test with the same complaint. After we typed in simple commands, then did a "show run" the statements were missing in the running config. I had to start all over and even then the statements still did not show up like the would normally. I had to verifiy everything was working, without relying on "Show run". When it was all said and done I finished with 30 seconds left. I didn't pass. I scored a 770, with a 790 being a passing score. I know where I went wrong, with at least one of the sims and the testlet. It is not too bad, but definitely tests you knowledge and patience. I have never used TestKing, Pass4sure etc etc. So if I scored a 770 the first time, then most everyone should be able to pass it with a try or two... or three.

I am going to take it again in another week or two. I'll let you know how it goes. Traditionally when you retake a test within a month of failure, you will get 75% of the same questions and the exact same sims and simlets (with IP changes and such). Should be fun.

#94 Pr0jecT

Pr0jecT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Oriental Music Instruments (Org)

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

Dear All,

Actuall i've just finished studying for the CCNP Switch, i wen through the 2 official guides the certification & foundation twice each. Also, i've done CBT Nuggets Switch as a backup for that. Currently i am practicing some labs from the offical CCNP Lab Manual for SWITCH. Would this be enough? is there any other recommendations?

Appreciate your advise.

Thank You

#95 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:37 AM

Practicing as much as you can is definitely a good idea. I trust that you already heard that you'd better know what PPDIOO stands for as you can expect to see some design related questions as well. ;)

#96 Pr0jecT

Pr0jecT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:11 AM

Hi Sunfish,

Prepare, Plan, Design, Implement, Operate, Optimize. I HATED THIS CHAPTER A LOT FROM BOTH BOOKS. But am ready. Hope so at least :wacko:

#97 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:15 AM

Yes, those design chapters are just dead boring - at first glance. But once you start designing networks in the real world you'll quickly notice that it does make sense to follow such guidelines. :)

#98 Pr0jecT

Pr0jecT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

Dear Sunfish,

you are absolutely right. I was just designing a network yesterday with a friend of mine and it was making sense. I am begining to feel the enjoynment.

Regards

#99 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:12 AM

We do not tolerate any discussions about the actual exam content in this forum!

We expect you to respect the NDA that you have to accept before taking any Cisco exam!

Of course, we know that all those braindumps contain a lot of errors. So you'd better study, learn and practice the stuff for the exam instead of wasting your time with just crap.

Feel free to ask any technical questions using your own words if you have any doubt as this forum is all about technical discussions. You can also share your exam experience as long as you do not disclose any details about exam questions or simulations.

#100 jjx

jjx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:21 AM

Almost a year ago, I have passed old BCMSN (642-812).

Is there a time limit that this exam will be valid?
If I pass ROUTE + TSHOOT i will achieve CCNP, is that correct?

Thank you

#101 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:28 AM

Yes, there is a time limit. Passing scores are valid for 3 years from the day you passed the exam.

So if you passed BCMSN almost a year ago, then you have about 2 years left to pass ROUTE + TSHOOT to get your CCNP. ;)

#102 jjx

jjx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

Yes, there is a time limit. Passing scores are valid for 3 years from the day you passed the exam.

So if you passed BCMSN almost a year ago, then you have about 2 years left to pass ROUTE + TSHOOT to get your CCNP. ;)

ok, so only 3 years limit! I was afraid that I should pass all 3 exams 1 year after old BCMSN exam discontinued.

Thank you

#103 DariusR

DariusR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

Hello,

my CCNA will expire in four months. If I pass one of CCNP exams will I have 3 years to finish CCNP?

#104 Marc Jones

Marc Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:38 AM

Hello,

my CCNA will expire in four months. If I pass one of CCNP exams will I have 3 years to finish CCNP?

Cisco professional level certifications (CCNP, CCNP Wireless, CCDP, CCSP, CCNP Voice, and CCIP) are valid for three years.

Straight form the Cisco site.

#105 jjx

jjx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hello,

Yes, and any CCxp will extend your CCNA for 3 years...

#106 DariusR

DariusR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

Cisco professional level certifications (CCNP, CCNP Wireless, CCDP, CCSP, CCNP Voice, and CCIP) are valid for three years.

Straight form the Cisco site.

I mean at first one of ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT. There is no way that I will do all in 6 month. If I pass SWITCH before CCNA expires can I go for ROUTE after CCNA will be expired.

#107 DariusR

DariusR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

I can't find it on cisco site. So if take and pass one of the CCNP level exams prior to CCNA expiration date does it automatically re-certify my CCNA? Will then I have 3 years to study for remaining CCNP level exams? Or do I need to take all CCNP level exams prior to CCNA expiration.

#108 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

So if take and pass one of the CCNP level exams prior to CCNA expiration date does it automatically re-certify my CCNA?

Yes, passing any CCNP level exam automatically renews your CCNA and you have then 3 years to pass the remaining exams to achieve your CCNP.

#109 Behula

Behula

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

Hi, can somebody tell me where can i find official curriculum for ccnp (new version), to download, or to buy.....

#110 suman123

suman123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yes, passing any CCNP level exam automatically renews your CCNA and you have then 3 years to pass the remaining exams to achieve your CCNP.

Hi sunfish & all,

Great to view your replies for the posts. It has been long since i got my ccna certified. Just have couple of months left for its expiration. I need your suggestion to go for which one first (ie ccnp route or ccnp switch or ccnp tshoot) so that i can complete the easy one( that takes the least time to prepare) to keep up my ccna vaild.
And can you suggest the best way of preparation.........from cisco press ------to--------dumps which way!!

Thanks
sumzz

#111 suman123

suman123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Hi, can somebody tell me where can i find official curriculum for ccnp (new version), to download, or to buy.....

Go with this link man
http://www.trainsign...ch-tshoot-exams

#112 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

I need your suggestion to go for which one first (ie ccnp route or ccnp switch or ccnp tshoot)...

The TSHOOT exam is always the last and final one as you need to master the topics of R&S before moving into troubleshooting.

Whether you start with ROUTE or SWITCH is a matter of personal preference. Some people like routing, some prefer switching, so you can go for either one as you like.

Start with the Foundation Learning Guides from Cisco Press, then practice as much as you can. Spending a few bucks on either Jeremy's CBT Nuggets or Trainsignal's videos can't hurt either. Again a matter of personal preference.

...and I strongly encourage you to stay away from dumps as you do not learn anything from such crap!

#113 suman123

suman123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

The TSHOOT exam is always the last and final one as you need to master the topics of R&S before moving into troubleshooting.

Whether you start with ROUTE or SWITCH is a matter of personal preference. Some people like routing, some prefer switching, so you can go for either one as you like.

Start with the Foundation Learning Guides from Cisco Press, then practice as much as you can. Spending a few bucks on either Jeremy's CBT Nuggets or Trainsignal's videos can't hurt either. Again a matter of personal preference.

...and I strongly encourage you to stay away from dumps as you do not learn anything from such crap!

Thats great sunfish!!

Just confused with wich one to start router or switch!! As seeing the cisco press text book the router has more pages than switch.( means syllbus is more) As i have less time for ccna expiration i feel to go for it (ccnp switch)........
But a year back, i went through few topic of BSCI (related to ccnp router) and later stopped as i got bsy with work and got to know it was changing......

!!!!!!confused!!!!!
pls suggest !! so tht i feel confident

thanks

#114 Ash90

Ash90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Cisco Cert.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

Thats great sunfish!!

Just confused with wich one to start router or switch!! As seeing the cisco press text book the router has more pages than switch.( means syllbus is more) As i have less time for ccna expiration i feel to go for it (ccnp switch)........
But a year back, i went through few topic of BSCI (related to ccnp router) and later stopped as i got bsy with work and got to know it was changing......

!!!!!!confused!!!!!
pls suggest !! so tht i feel confident

thanks

For me it is alwasy better to start with a thing that is core to everything else. Since Routing is the core to CCNP and you never know if anything comes into the exam where the paper setter might overlooked that the Route has not been studied can bring poor student at odd.
Personal openion, may be. Hence I would suggest for ROUTE ----> SWITCH -----> TSHOOT

Rest is what one feels good with him/her self.

#115 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

It depends. When I started my CCNP studies quite a few years ago, I initially wanted to start with BSCI (the old routing exam) but found that OSPF over Frame-Relay was a complete show-stopper for me. No one uses Frame-Relay over here in Europe, none of my colleges had any experience with it at all. It took me several months of setting up labs, constant practicing this "strange" technology until I really understood how it works, when and how to set up the different ways to run OSPF over Frame-Relay.

Hence I personally started with BCMSN (the old switching exam) as those topics were much easier for me to understand. For people in the US and some other parts of the world things are probably different. So it's a matter of personal experience and preference...

BTW, the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to renew your CCNA is to go for the ICND2 exam. You definitely need at least a couple of months in order to prepare yourself for either ROUTE or SWITCH.

#116 suman123

suman123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

Reviews on the ccnp router (or switch) bootcamp video by INE.?
http://www.ine.com/s.../route-bootcamp
suggest if any videos available also!!!!

thanks
ssuzz

Edited by suman123, 02 November 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#117 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

I used INE materials a lot when unknown forces suddenly pushed me deep into the voice world many moons ago and I was satisfied with the quality of their video trainings and workbooks. Not cheap but worth every single buck I paid for those materials!

However, I have never used their CCNP materials so that I cannot comment on those but the quality should keep up with Jeremy and TS. Back in the days of my own CCNA/CCNP studies, Jeremy has always been my favourite teacher and I would love to see a CCIE Voice series from him... ;)

#118 asoft

asoft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

i need to know which is the best matrail for CCNP (SWITCH)

Have you tried the following:
1. CBP Nuggets http://cbtnuggets.com/
2. Certexams.com CCNP Switch Practice tests

#119 ashishd

ashishd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hello Everyone, hope you all are doing well.
I've completed my CCNP ROUTE & SWITCH Certifications & now I'm confused whether to go for CCNP TSHOOT or any else certs,as I'm having only 2 years of experience in networking & I'm not working for any ISP n Security projects. Will CCIP boost my resume ??? pls help..........

#120 pfisterfarm

pfisterfarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

Working on my CCNP now (I've passed SWITCH so far...). Just curious as to what I should go for next. I've got almost 20 years working with Cisco (ran a small ISP, current job involves maintaining the network of a large urban school district). I did my CCNA about 6 years ago, and CCNA wireless about 3. I'd like to tackle CCIE, but funds will be rather limited for some time to come (no help from my job either...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users