• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 James Lawrence

James Lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:16 AM

PC shut itself down 3 days ago. Upon restart "No Video Input" was displayed on monitor. Shut power off to the PC, waited 30 sec to power back up and all worked fine.

2 days ago, after running McAffee virus scan I went to start the PC...but it was still running with the "No Video Input". Could not get video input, tried mouse movement, power on/off to the monitor. Video cable is conndted tight. My initial thought was the video card died...until...

I shut the PC down manually, waited 30 sec and powered up. Fan now runs continuously at high speed (previously ran only at high for a few seconds before shifting to low speed. PC does not seem to move beyond initial power on command, and with no video to view I cannot put it in safe mode, etc.

PC is a Gateway 503GR, Pentium 4 running XP home. I do not believe it would be cost effective to take to a repair shop.

Also, had a virus in early August, was removed with McAffee tech support.

Any on a potential home repair?

#2 mip104

mip104

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

Can you check the setup system at the beginning by pressing "DEL" button and see the fan speed in RPM ?

#3 syedabbas

syedabbas

Hardware & Microsoft

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Interested in Microsoft Products and in the field of networking and security. Have completed my A+,MCP,MCTS and now hoping to get my RHCE soon.

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

Might be the RAM slots should be giving the problem ....
Try swapping the RAM to another slot and check.

Cheers,
Syed Abbas

#4 Andy_Capp

Andy_Capp

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1488 posts
  • Interests:Moderator, Tech Support forum

Photography

Travel

Music from Classical to Classics & Rock depending upon my mood

Computing, Several PC's & Laptops.
    OS's: Win7 64bit, XP SP3, Win2K SP4, Win Me, Media Centre,
    Linux: Slax, Ubuntu, DSL amongst others

Electronics Equipment Repair (Career & Hobby)

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:57 AM

I'd start by looking at the motherboard for domed capacitors, the electrolytic type .. after a few years use they tend to have an end of life crisis. If you see nothing untoward with the motherboard try borrowing a power supply and see if your problem is there. Just unplug all the leads from the old PSU and hang the other one on the surface outside, only require initially to plug in the P4 plug & the 20/24 pin power supply plug to the mainboard.
If that appears to allow it to work then add slowly all other power leads (power off first !!) and see if it continues working.

Power supply should be from a quality manufacturer and as good as if not better than the one installed now.

#5 syedabbas

syedabbas

Hardware & Microsoft

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Interested in Microsoft Products and in the field of networking and security. Have completed my A+,MCP,MCTS and now hoping to get my RHCE soon.

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

Yes I agree with you Andy_capp coz I had faced such a situation in my previous company where the Capacitors in the Motherboard gets Bulged.
Due to that it kept on shutting down or restarting.
Mr.James you can try what Andy_capp suggested. Hope that might help you to solve the problem.

Regards,
Syed Abbas

#6 whoiam55

whoiam55

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3422 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Gardening, delta9-THC and Computers of-course.

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

after a few years use they tend to have an end of life crisis.

Electrolytic capacitors bulged out due to excess heat buildup.

#7 syedabbas

syedabbas

Hardware & Microsoft

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

Hi,

Excess heat buildup in the sense???
Because my office is completely filled with AC and also we had one System that was used as a Server which was at the Data Center even that got failed due to the same problem.
Could you throw some light as when AC is completely filled up how can it get bulged due to Heat??

Regards,
Syed Abbas

#8 idan shir chen

idan shir chen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

hi,

try to reset your CMOS.
to do this you need to:
1. turn off your PC (disconnect from the AC power)
2. move the jumper on your motherboard to "reset CMOS" mode. (if you dont see the jumper, look at the manufacture user manual)
3. turn on your PC
4. Keep your computer turned on until you hear three beeps
5. turn off your PC and move the jumper back to normal mode

good luck

regard,
Idan Shir-chen

#9 Andy_Capp

Andy_Capp

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1488 posts
  • Interests:Moderator, Tech Support forum

Photography

Travel

Music from Classical to Classics & Rock depending upon my mood

Computing, Several PC's & Laptops.
    OS's: Win7 64bit, XP SP3, Win2K SP4, Win Me, Media Centre,
    Linux: Slax, Ubuntu, DSL amongst others

Electronics Equipment Repair (Career & Hobby)

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

Hi,

Excess heat buildup in the sense???
Because my office is completely filled with AC and also we had one System that was used as a Server which was at the Data Center even that got failed due to the same problem.
Could you throw some light as when AC is completely filled up how can it get bulged due to Heat??

Regards,
Syed Abbas

internal ie inside the can, heat build up due to the fact that the capacitor is working hard trying t maintain a stable voltage on your voltage rail. As the voltage from the supply rail drop the capacitor gives current to boost the voltage (until the capacitor has the same voltage as the supply rail) and when the rail goes up in voltage, the capacitor recharges .. so the capacitors is constantly working .. if you ever studied the subject you will remember that work = heat .. work too hard & you overheat!
In a capacitor there is an electrolyte which is liquid .. as it overheats it forces the liquid to gas. The gas expands and the pressure formed domes the capacitors.

Suggest you do a search on the Internet for "domed capacitors" it's a known problem for more than 10 years

It makes no difference if your offices are Air conditioned. The PC is in a box that acts like a thermal barrier ..

#10 syedabbas

syedabbas

Hardware & Microsoft

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

Thanks andy :)

Regards,
Syed Abbas

#11 srinivasan83

srinivasan83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Electrolytic capacitors bulged out due to excess heat buildup.

bellows in india | Expansion joints in chennai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users