#1 cr4zy1w4n

cr4zy1w4n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:50 AM

Hi guys
I would like to clone one of my win 2008 server machines on to virtual one
As I never did that before I would like to know how does it look like in practice and which tool I should use? we do have some cloning software like ghost and acronis but which is best? Another thing I read somewhere that if you use one of those tools you might have issues with SID and someone recommended sysprep instead.
and the last question is will all roles programs and features stay the same? I mean will it clone all configurations like dhcp dns ad? It is a domain controller so it is quite important. I know that works on normal machines but I never cloned servers before.

thanks
pete

#2 Lethe

Lethe

Insanity's Crescendo

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Well if your need is only that virtualizing the machine then use the VMware standalone converter, you can download free of charge from VMware website and does exactly what you need.

And yes everything will be exactly as the physical machine. Being a Domain Controller be careful to shut down one of the two machines as of course you cannot have both on at the same time, as you cannot have both machines running at the same time o need to worry about SID or other stuff.

Sysprep is a tool used to reset attributes like the SID, network configuration, serial etc. when you need to deploy a huge number of servers/clients and it applies to a base image of the machine for sure not to domain controllers.

If you give me more details on what you are trying to accomplish I can give you more info.

Lethe.

#3 cr4zy1w4n

cr4zy1w4n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

Thanks Lethe i will try that VMware converter
and im doing it only for redundancy and a bit of experience in virtualization :)
basically this server is on its last legs but the worst thing is only im bothered... all my manager said is dont worry it will be fine without even looking at it :)
so once it dies i let them panic for a while and then i will save the day with virtual one :D
sometimes i dont get my management.. we do have server specially bought for virtualization and they are using it as a print server!!??

few final questions: will there be any downtime during the cloning? and is doing this with every single server a good idea? and how does it look performance wise i mean phisical one vs virtual?
many thanks
pete

#4 Lethe

Lethe

Insanity's Crescendo

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

Ok first easy questions, nope there will be no down time during the conversion process as the VMware converter will install a small agent on the physical machine and through that everything on that machine will be copied to virtual machine files (vmx for the configuration, vmdk for the disks).

Keep in mind this cannot be used for redundancy or backup, what I mean is the machine is a Domain controller and as such Active Directory is pretty "picky" about internal counters (I will not go much into details here) suffice to say that you cannot take offlne a DC for let's say 20 days, the suddenly turn it on and expect everything will work... specially if that's the only DC in your environment.

I will never get management my friend, not a single time I agreed with them :)

As per virtualizing everything well that's a totally different story and I think is not enough for tell it in full :) You would need servers with enough steam to keep all your machines up and running, storage etc. etc. etc. Basically you would need a budget and specific plan to go virtual :)

Cheers Lethe.

#5 cr4zy1w4n

cr4zy1w4n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

riiiight so in my case best thing to do is to set up another dc on our virtual server and add it to our domain?
and yeah you are absolutely right leaving dc offline for period of time makes no sens because there is about 100 changes made everyday to it :)
i dont know what iw as thinking asking this question :)
Anyway thanks for advice and im pretty sure i will find that converter useful in testing :D
regards
pete

#6 Lethe

Lethe

Insanity's Crescendo

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:31 AM

Nah no worries it happens from time to time to me as well, you're so focused on something that you forget about details :)

Yes your best bet is just to install another machine on the virtual server and promote it to a DC and let AD take care of the repliaction over the network, being on the same lan it will be fast and easy to implement :)

Yes the converter is a great tools, not without limitations (specially when dealing with old Linux boxes like I do from time to time), with which you can have fun... Just to test it out I used it to virtualize my Windows and Linux workstation: so yes you can test and have fun with it.

Cheers Lethe.

#7 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

so u wanna clone server 2008 system to virtual machine. that would be a little bit difficult cause virtual hard disk are different from physical disks.
maybe u can backup the system disk and get a way to convert it to virtual disk.
i googled an article about how to convert to virtual disk, hope it can help.

#8 simpleuser1

simpleuser1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

nice info,Posted Image

#9 miansaad

miansaad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

this subject can be very touchy for mostno. 1 matrimonial site in the world common ground that we all can find. Yellow PagesI . Thank you!1 {�8 :eدm �n /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1785731515; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-1843990526 67698705 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-text:"%1\)"; mso-level-tab-stop:none; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} -->
1) i just love cars....my passion is car driving.Yellow Pages try almost 15 different cars yet...i muslim marriage gives me great pleasure while driving...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users