4 replies to this topic

#1 echlon

echlon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

hi all.. after a long time

i need to get some ideas from you guys about the exam 70-680. because some of the professionals in the IT field does not recommend microsoft exams. anyway i would like hear you guys suggestions.

thanks,
echlon

#2 Lethe

Lethe

Insanity's Crescendo

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

"...some of the professionals in the IT field does not reccommend microsoft exams..." now I'm a Linux Engineer yet I would be curios to talk to these people and hear what the motiviations for such a silly thought is.

Anyhow what exactly you need to know? If taking the exam or not? Well the short answer it depends, depends on what you are doing, what is your role etc. etc.

So elaborate a bit and we will try to help as much as possible.

Cheers Lethe.

#3 echlon

echlon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

hi lethe..

thanks for the prompt reply. i got Bsc & CCNA, working as a system admin. thought of following a different exam from a different vendor. so what do you think about this exam. is it worth to do when its come to job hunting. just want to know your open answer. because there should be a positive gain for the investment on this exam.

#4 mip104

mip104

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

One thing that you should consider about is the Micrsoft exams are different from the Cisco ones. You may achieve CCNA just by one exam, but in Microsoft you will need to take at least 4 exams to be an MCSA 2003 or 3 exams to be a MCITP :SA and 5 exams to be MCITP: EA and 7 exams to be an MCSE 2003. But in CISCO you will jsut see a CCNA, CCNP and CCIE. just by passing one exam and sometimes their labs..
So you can not judge them to find out which out will add you more !!!

#5 Chargerhawk

Chargerhawk

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:American muscle cars 68-71, car collector

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hi there!

You know, if you had asked me this question about a year ago, I would have told you that going for exam 70-680 is a great idea, since it is also the base for a lot of other certifications like MCITP:EA, MCITP:DA, MCITP:DST7. It can even be selected as either client exam or elective exam for an MCSA/MCSE credential. However, with Microsoft releasing new and completely different operating systems almost every 2 years, it is hard to tell if going for an "old" client exam is still a bright idea. "Windows 8" is coming soon... mainly focusing on tablet features with a totally new GUI...most users won't even be able to update their OS because of the UEFI requirements. And you know what that means... there will be a high demand on professionals who are already familiar with those new features as soon as this new client OS is released to the public. This also automatically results in the release of new exams, like it is common practice with Microsoft. This is what i call "stucking in a vicious circle". If you want to be an IT pro specialized in MS products, you have to stay always up-to-date with your certifications in order to stay competitive on the IT market.

regards, Charger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users