7 replies to this topic

#1 visu12

visu12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

Hi all,

I'm having a problem here, I need to copy all the user IDs from one NT Server box to another one. They are standalone servers. I cannot reinstall the one server as it has all the IDs on it. There are hundreds of IDs on the box and of course the people maintaining it don't have a list of all the IDs and passwords.

I need a way to either do a straight copy or a backup and restore of all the user IDs from one box to the other.

They are both Windows NT Server 4 with SP6a and all fixes. They are standard users through the User Manager for Domains.

#2 mip104

mip104

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

If you want to backup the users, just install an NT server and change its role to BDC which will replicate all the user from the original NT server as PDC

#3 visu12

visu12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

If you want to backup the users, just install an NT server and change its role to BDC which will replicate all the user from the original NT server as PDC

I cannot reinstall /install any nt server .I just had to backup user's from my running nt server.

#4 Lethe

Lethe

Insanity's Crescendo

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

I cannot reinstall /install any nt server .I just had to backup user's from my running nt server.

What do you mean "backup from the running nt server"? Is the server still running and serving as a PDC or not? If it is running do as Mip suggested a small hint http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326209 if you only have a backup file/tape feel free to trash it as it will do little good to the upgrade process.

Cheers Lethe.

#5 visu12

visu12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

What do you mean "backup from the running nt server"? Is the server still running and serving as a PDC or not? If it is running do as Mip suggested a small hint http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326209 if you only have a backup file/tape feel free to trash it as it will do little good to the upgrade process.

Cheers Lethe.

My question was how to take backup of nt user manager without creating any bdc . My goal is to backup those user manager & restore it on same server whenever disastor happen.

#6 mip104

mip104

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

I have never used this but it may be useful for you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/199878

#7 visu12

visu12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

I have never used this but it may be useful for you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/199878

Sorry, the above link do not answer my queries.

#8 Lethe

Lethe

Insanity's Crescendo

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

My question was how to take backup of nt user manager without creating any bdc . My goal is to backup those user manager & restore it on same server whenever disastor happen.

And my is, do you have an idea of how to migrate an NT based domain to an Active Directory one? Have you made some research? Have you read about the requirements, limitations and caveat? What is your setup? Does your environment satisfy the above requirements?

Try answer yourself these questions and we could move from there, as far as "...backup nt user manager.." that is not possible as simple as that, the best you could you if to backup the System State of your NT environment and keep it in a safe environment and in case you need to roll back you can restore everything even if with the above approaches a backup out plan is "included".

Without knowing exactly where you are and where you are trying to go there is little more we can do to answer your queries. You should try to give us an exact picture of what your environment looks like, document yourself so to be familiar with the various migration scenarios.

Lethe *who hates windows for a good reason*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users