• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

I am unable to create a new Virtual Machine in VMware Desktop 7. After creating the Virtual Machine the initial boot show it attempting run a PXE Boot and eventually fails with "Operating System Not Found". This happen even though I have the Operating System selected through the Virtual DVD-ROM Drive with a valid ISO Image. I recently upgraded my desktop and I am using the same Physical DVD-ROM Drive that I used prior with no issues on my old system. I have interrupted the boot sequence of the Virtual Machine by pressing F2 and attempting to reorder the Boot Sequence but I am unable to select properties for the DVD-ROM which shows in the settings. I am guessing that their is a comparability issue with my new motherboard that is not allowing the Virtual Machine to properly use my DVD-ROM Drive. Would anyone agree? Is their another step that I am missing. My VMware Knowledge is limited but I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

#2 vijay_poonia

vijay_poonia

Cisco Routing & Switching

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

First make sure that this DVD is bootable.

if YES then it should work otherwise follow these steps

Make an ISO image of that DVD with help of Nero or Magic ISO.

Now in VMWARE, edit virtual machine setting ----> cd/dvd(ide)----->>Use iso image(and browse for that ISO image)

Done

Ready to boot . . . .

#3 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

I have actually already tried that method. The same thing happens... It attempts to PXE Boot and then "Operating System Not Found".

First make sure that this DVD is bootable.

if YES then it should work otherwise follow these steps

Make an ISO image of that DVD with help of Nero or Magic ISO.

Now in VMWARE, edit virtual machine setting ----> cd/dvd(ide)----->>Use iso image(and browse for that ISO image)

Done

Ready to boot . . . .

#4 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Attached Files

Edited by Jaynatal, 29 July 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#5 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

Here are some screen shots to clarify a bit.

#6 vijay_poonia

vijay_poonia

Cisco Routing & Switching

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

Remove that floppy drive.

(You also specified a floppy disk file :huh: )

If this fail then must be problem with that ISO image. btw you can check if this image is bootable or not in Magic ISO.

#7 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Remove that floppy drive.

(You also specified a floppy disk file :huh: )

If this fail then must be problem with that ISO image. btw you can check if this image is bootable or not in Magic ISO.

Okay, so I tried what you recommended and unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue. Same error "Operating System Not Found" after attempting a PXE Boot. Any other thoughts?

Attached Files

#8 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

So I am still having issues with adding a Virtual Machine. Any advice at this point would be welcomed.

Attached Files

#9 Lethe

Lethe

Insanity's Crescendo

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

Are you sure the option "connect at power on" is selected for the CDrom (sorry I use KVM here and can't really check the name)? Have you tried to edit VM's BIOS before the PXE? does the VMware easy installer recognizes the ISO file when you try to create the new virtual machine with the Wizard? Have you tried to delete and recreate the virtual machine and see if it solves the problem?

Let us know.

Cheers Lethe.

#10 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

Are you sure the option "connect at power on" is selected for the CDrom (sorry I use KVM here and can't really check the name)? Have you tried to edit VM's BIOS before the PXE? does the VMware easy installer recognizes the ISO file when you try to create the new virtual machine with the Wizard? Have you tried to delete and recreate the virtual machine and see if it solves the problem?

Let us know.

Cheers Lethe.

Yes, the "Connect at Power On" has been selected for the CD-ROM Drive for this Virtual Machine. I have tried editing the Virtual Machine's BIOS and the settings are correct to show the Virtual Machine CD-ROM Drive to be utilized first upon booting. The Virtual Machine Easy Installer shows that it cannot detect which operating system is on the ISO, however the next screen allow me to select Windows XP Professional accordingly. Could this seriously be my issue? My ISO is able to load through Magic ISO and I can run an the setup.exe with no issues. I am currently downloading an ISO of Linux Fedora to see if this also gives me an issue with creating a Virtual Machine. I will post on my outcome shortly.

Attached Files

#11 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

So I just finished a working creation of a Fedora 15 Desktop Edition Virtual Machine so it appears that my ISO for whatever reason is the issue. Does anyone have a working ISO of Microsoft Windows XP Professional that I can download? Obviously I have my own license. It would be of great help to me and my Cisco Certification Studies. Thank you.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users