I want to be a Computer Networking Professional.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DMV

DMV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

I want to be a Computer Networking Professional.
To do this, I have the following certifications: CompTIA A +, N +, Cisco CCNA. But with those certificates I can’t find a job as a Network technician, without production practice it is not possible. I was preparing to pass Cisco CCNP Routing exam, but I realized that I it will not help for me to find a job, without a real practice. So, I decided to start from the bottom of the IT industry and to get some Microsoft certification first, because it is easier way to find a good IT job. Now I am working as - Desktop support. My first exam for Microsoft certificate that I passed is - Windows 7, Configuring 70-680.
My questions are:
1. How with Microsoft Certification to become a computer network professional?
2. What's next exam and what is the goal – Which certificate to obtain?
3. How can I utilize my CompTIA A + and N + certificates?
4. Should I take MCSA certificate or pick some newest certificates?

I will appreciate for any advice.

#2 mip104

mip104

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

As you also said, it is not just a certification to bring you a job. You have to practice and have some hands in the certificates you have gained. Otherwise adding other certificates will not help.

#3 talent pk

talent pk

Cisco Newbie

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4028 posts
  • Interests:Oracle

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

Microsoft Certs are powerful and are Server Sides usually and deal less in Networks.
Stick to Microsoft Servers, if you manage your servers n they are up n running your managers will be pleased with you.

I do Server management from time to time and i find Server knowledge is core of running a Company business.

Keep your hands practicing on Exchange , ISA , Active Directory, VPN, and Database Servers.

learn how to create and manage backups of servers and databases

#4 taknet

taknet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hi DMV,

I feel you bro! hehehe
I took A+ and CCNA Certs to pursue Core IT jobs - specifically, Network Engineer/Administrator.
good for you that you have 4 certs already - i'm planning to take MCITP someday and i wanna start of with windows 7 or Active Directory...

going back, getting certs doesn't guarantee that job right away but it's a good start at least rather than having no certs at all.
As of now, i didn't get the job that i was looking for. I'm working as a Support Engineer for EnterpriseStorage devices like NAS and SAN.
I'm kinda rusty on "cisco cli configuration" already and sad to say i don't have real world experience on this.
I was planning to review CCNP but i'm kind of caught up and pre-occupied w/ my current job which i still lack expertise of.
so, i set aside, cisco first and kind of digesting the microsoft world. I'm currently reviewing on how to manage windows storage server 2008 r2
as we're an OEM on NAS devices.

(sigh) hope to get that network admin job someday...

anyway, how's the windows 7 exam? was it easy? which reiviwers did you use?

#5 DMV

DMV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Thanks to every one for good replays and advises.
I passed my 70-680 exam with score 859. It is not to bad for me. This exam it is easy when you know what they want from you. I have a lot of hands on Windows 7 practice. I used for for preparation Robert Half http://www.rhi.com/ online training program it is not exactly what was on the exam, but very helpful practice labs. To get access to this resource you should register with Robert Half as a job seeker and ask for access to the training resource and it is totally free of charge. They has a lot of other Vendors and cources.
Looks like I will take MCITP as my final destination with Microsoft. And I will gain experince on Exchange , ISA , Active Directory, VPN, and Database Servers. Just a question how to get all this practice? The place whare i am curently working is very limited. My company is big but they outsourced all IT services to the Mexico and India except Desktop Support technicians. We have server room and Network room but no one is there, rooms are empty, except equipment. They keep 1 local server guy and 1 network guy for emergency, they working at home.
Taknet - use a GNS3 (for CCNP routing) for the real practice with CLI and Cisco Packet Tracer these programms awesome.

#6 taknet

taknet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

DMV -

wow! Congrats on the 70-680 exam.
sad to say, i didn't start any of the MCITP course yet. :(
by the way, what's your lab setup dmv? are you using multiple PCs or virtual PCs?
I also heard that, GNS3 is quite heavy on your PC, what's you're PC specs?

#7 DMV

DMV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

DMV -

wow! Congrats on the 70-680 exam.
sad to say, i didn't start any of the MCITP course yet. :(
by the way, what's your lab setup dmv? are you using multiple PCs or virtual PCs?
I also heard that, GNS3 is quite heavy on your PC, what's you're PC specs?

Hey, you don't have to use any real equipment, GNS3 it is a virtual emulator with real Cisco IOS, I was able to run on my Old PC up to 14 routers 7200 series (without any crashes)with BGP routing protocol (E8400 CPU, 2 gig memory). Just find somewhere CBT Nuggets CCNP Routing Course and enjoy GNS3 labs. (This course based on GNS3 they will give you full instructions how to setup lab on GNS3). If you will setup GNS3 property it will fly on your PC even if it is old.

#8 completeitpro

completeitpro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

As you also said, it is not just a certification to bring you a job.

I agree with mip104, you should try to look for a job as the experience will help you. Start with junior positions as they usually don't require experience and your certifications should help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users