9 replies to this topic

#1 Mahin Al Rasheed

Mahin Al Rasheed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

Dear Friends,
We installed server as virtual machine in the EXSI platform, But the CD drive in the server is not showing. I tried almost all the options.
Please help in this issue.

#2 FS

FS

The Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

The server will see the drive if you connect it as a "Client Device" and make sure you have "Connected at power on" ticked.

In most cases, you may prefer to use Datastore ISO File though.

#3 Mahin Al Rasheed

Mahin Al Rasheed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

The server will see the drive if you connect it as a "Client Device" and make sure you have "Connected at power on" ticked.

In most cases, you may prefer to use Datastore ISO File though.

Dear Admin,
Thanks your replay
I did all the settings as u said. But it is not working. We already install two server in that Exsi machine. Now when i created another VM, CD is not working. And i checked other server also in that also the CD is not working.

So any server in that platform the CD drive is not detecting. I think some options in the EXSI platform we have to change.

#4 FS

FS

The Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

You didn't mention if it is a scsi or ide drive. As I understand, your virtual machines do not detect the drive.

This shouldn't however create a problem for you, since your esxi is connected to the network, you do not really need a physical drive, you can use ISOs or use a CD/DVD drive of your client machine.

Can virtual machines detect the drive if it is connected to anything other than servers?

#5 FS

FS

The Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

just read an article yesterday, and they said that this problem occurs when your optical device is on the same channel with other devices, you may need to change the channel number. I don't remember all the details, so just google it.

#6 Mahin Al Rasheed

Mahin Al Rasheed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Dear Admin,
Thanks your replay
I did all the settings as u said. But it is not working. We already install two server in that Exsi machine. Now when i created another VM, CD is not working. And i checked other server also in that also the CD is not working.

So any server in that platform the CD drive is not detecting. I think some options in the EXSI platform we have to change.

Dear friend,
I make ISO image and it is working on it.
Iam using IDE and before we install using physical drive and now i couldnt.

#7 FS

FS

The Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

Does your motherboard support passthrough? You can check it in configuration tab in esx.

#8 bdrake

bdrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

ESXi doesn't recognize IDE devices, either hard drives or CD/DVD drives. However, it will recognize a USB external drive; that's what i use for installation on all my ESXi machines. Hard drives can be SCSI, SATA, or SAS.
--
Barry

#9 Mahin Al Rasheed

Mahin Al Rasheed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

Don't know how to check if my motherboard support pass-through or not, but i have this warning in the configuration tab

Attached Files

Edited by Mahin Al Rasheed, 11 July 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#10 miansaad

miansaad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

1) i just love cars....my passion is car driving.Yellow Pages try almost 15 different cars yet...i muslim marriage gives me great pleasure while driving...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users