• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 krnl

krnl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

i have wired network with around 200 s/w. and there is a small wireless n/w with 6 access points. both are working properly when they are individual
but when i connect wireless AP to the wired n/w at that time ping packets are dropped.
any1 hv sol. of this prob. pls tell me the sol.

#2 MarkinManchester

MarkinManchester

Village Elder

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3976 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:51 AM

Do a survey using something like netstumbler, check for channel overlap, authentication, and maybe reduce encryption to 40bit if set at 128

#3 sirkozz

sirkozz

Wireless Expert

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:30 AM

Mark its either 40/104bit or 64/128 bit, 40bit key +24 bit IV=64bit/104bit key +24bit IV=128bit key; the IV is the initialization vector, the part of WEP that is crackable; you have to use at least TKIP with a nice long non-dictionary phase pass-key to be secure.

As to wireless problems, what type of AP’s, what frequency bands, what are the STA’s that are having problems connecting to the WLAN, how much distance from STA to AP?

To try and pinpoint the problem start from the STA to the AP, continuous 1Mb ping to AP from station RTT should be under 5ms; but under 25ms should be okay for data only WLAN, if these numbers look good then the WLAN is working, better look somewhere else on the LAN.
If that’s ok then ping the local switch that the AP is connected to; you should still see the same RTT values.
Then start with the router; you should still see the same RTT values.

#4 krnl

krnl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

Mark its either 40/104bit or 64/128 bit, 40bit key +24 bit IV=64bit/104bit key +24bit IV=128bit key; the IV is the initialization vector, the part of WEP that is crackable; you have to use at least TKIP with a nice long non-dictionary phase pass-key to be secure.

As to wireless problems, what type of AP’s, what frequency bands, what are the STA’s that are having problems connecting to the WLAN, how much distance from STA to AP?

To try and pinpoint the problem start from the STA to the AP, continuous 1Mb ping to AP from station RTT should be under 5ms; but under 25ms should be okay for data only WLAN, if these numbers look good then the WLAN is working, better look somewhere else on the LAN.
If that’s ok then ping the local switch that the AP is connected to; you should still see the same RTT values.
Then start with the router; you should still see the same RTT values.

I AM NEW TO WIRELES TECHNOLOGY. AP WORKS AT 2.4 GHZ.DISTANCE BETWEEN STA AND AP IS AROUND 5 MTRs.IF THERE IS POSIBILITIES OF PROBLEM IN SWITCH??????

#5 krnl

krnl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

THERE IS ANOTHER WIRELESS AP IS AVAILABLE NEAR THIS AP.WHICH IS WORKING AT 5 GHZ. SO I WANT TO KNOW THAT IT MAY CAUSE ANY BAD IMPACT ON AP (2.4 GHZ)????????????????

#6 MarkinManchester

MarkinManchester

Village Elder

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3976 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

Switch it off and find out

Mark

#7 sirkozz

sirkozz

Wireless Expert

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

2.4GHz and 5GHz cannot interfere with each other; however 2 AP’s on the same channel in close proximity to each other can if they utilize the same frequency band. So your STA is 5M from the AP, how close is the next closest AP, what type of AP’s, what about channel selection on your adjacent AP’s, how many STA’s???

#8 krnl

krnl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

is there any posibilities of problem bcoz of switch???????

#9 MarkinManchester

MarkinManchester

Village Elder

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3976 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

There are a lot of fundamental things that you should have checked by now port speed/dup/errors/latency do a mini survey using netstumbler or similar.

No one can tell you how to fix it and you need to diagnose the problem yourself, if you have a particular fault condition or an error being reported give us that detail.

#10 Be Quick Or Be Dead!

Be Quick Or Be Dead!

Retired and Rusted

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1530 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

Hi

1. Typing in all capital letters is considered as screaming. Adding to that typing in short hand/ sms lingo posts are mostly ignored. Atleast I do.

2. Packet drop does not happen necessarily due to a faulty wireless router or the wireless card. Or a wireless configuration. Do a build up from basic like Mark said.

Cheers!

#11 kamtec1

kamtec1

Microsoft Servers Expert

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:MCSE/MCSA/A+/MCTS
    Microsoft Servers
    Microsoft Products
    IPTell
    CEH
    CISCO
    Microsoft® Certified IT Professional ﴾MCITP﴿

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hi krnl,

I always blame the wireless cards or wireless routers that are very bad quality .

I mean a very good card will make problems and routers too like cisco and linksys .

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Just dont update unknown firmware to thous card and routers and if you do ... you need reconfigure many things so wifi card can talk to router the same way that wifi and router can understand each other :)

Like MarkinManchester said you need to test it out yourself see :) we are not in your office/home :)

We will help you as much as we can :))

Good luck ,.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users