• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jaynatal

Jaynatal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:01 AM

So I was asked a question during an interview which apparently not many people now how to do considering the candidate turnover regarding this particular decision. The question is how do you update (drivers, patches, etc) for servers to multiple servers (800) to be exact via the command line? I know that you can use various WUinstall for updated on a single machine at once but I'm lost to the answer. Does anyone know?

#2 MarkinManchester

MarkinManchester

Village Elder

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3976 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

Used to be qchain.exe but I havent done anything in anger with MS stuff in years

#3 greg88

greg88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

http://www.wsus.info...?showtopic=7298

In the link above, you will find a VBScript that downloads and installs updates. Best solution I've found....

#4 setnaffa

setnaffa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:helping people, keeping my family happy, doing a variety of computer stuff

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Why are you thinking about CLI? With 800+ servers you should be using GPOs and SCCM...

Otherwise, you're ignoring the built-in capabilities of Windows Server, Active Directory, etc.; and you have no way to verify which servers were successfully updated...

(some of us would not want to work for a company with that many essentially unmanaged Windows servers)

Edited by setnaffa, 22 January 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#5 MarkinManchester

MarkinManchester

Village Elder

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3976 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Why are you thinking about CLI? With 800+ servers you should be using GPOs and SCCM...

Otherwise, you're ignoring the built-in capabilities of Windows Server, Active Directory, etc.; and you have no way to verify which servers were successfully updated...

(some of us would not want to work for a company with that many essentially unmanaged Windows servers)

The original question in post http://www.sadikhov....post__p__913767 was "The question is how do you update (drivers, patches, etc) for servers to multiple servers (800) to be exact via the command line? " and the question was asked at an interview so none of the options that you mention would have been relevant.

Mark

#6 setnaffa

setnaffa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:helping people, keeping my family happy, doing a variety of computer stuff

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

The original question in post http://www.sadikhov....post__p__913767 was "The question is how do you update (drivers, patches, etc) for servers to multiple servers (800) to be exact via the command line? " and the question was asked at an interview so none of the options that you mention would have been relevant.

Mark

Mark,

I understand what you said and why; but the fact is that sometimes they don't want the easy answer. They want folks who know the right way.

And as I stated above, some companies choose a path that makes no sense...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users