2 replies to this topic

#1 amolair

amolair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hi All,

My DC is burnt out in fire. I purchase new Server hardware. I have ADC with me which is running well.

I want to make my DC alive. Is there anyone who can tell the step by step process to make my DC up n running.

I have windows server 2003 Standard edition SP2 on ADC & same OS will be installed on New Server.

This is very critical server & needs to be get alive? Pls help

Summary :-

1) I have no backup of of DC & all is burnt.

2) I have only ADC to get all the information from him to add on New Server which would be my DC.

Dont's:-

1) I dont want to change name of my original DC which was previously assigned.

What I tried :-

1) Trying to attach to the ADC with same, but its not taking same name coz previous name is already present in
AD domain Sites & services.

Edited by amolair, 08 January 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#2 Lethe

Lethe

Insanity's Crescendo

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

Try to think with cold mind about this, if you don't have a backup of the Active Directory Database from where ADC or, for what it matters any other tool, is going to fetch the data?

If the disks on the burnt server are still intact, I doubt it but you never know, you can try to recover data from those disks for example mounting them on the new server assuming they are compatibles or you could ask that to a data recovery company.

Beg with my curiosity, if this system is so critical why not take a backup every now and then? And also keep in mind that AD DCs by DEFINITION are two, no matter how small the domain you are managing is.

Cheers Lethe.

P.S. By ADC I assume you are referring to the Active Directory Connector tool if that's not the case or I did not get something from your post feel free to elaborate or correct me.

#3 FS

FS

The Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

I am not a big expert in this, but don't you have a second DC that was replicating with the currently dead one? If not, then you will have to rebuild a new DC and manually rebuild every part of it. To keep the same name, the AD entries that point to the old server have to be removed from everywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users