3 replies to this topic

#1 simpleuser1

simpleuser1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi All,

I am new to VM so please have patience with me, my question is that we have 2 identical Dell PowerEdge R710 servers at work, first 1 is running VMware vsphere 5 that boots from in built flash SD card, we setup first new baremetal servers and then setup our Netapp data storage with it, and install our print, DHCP and different application servers on it.

Its all working fine,now we bought another same exact spec server and install VMware vsphere 5 on it, it does have around 5.41Tb of RAID 6 storage, and now we want to set it up so it will be the exact replica of the first VMware server, Idea is to get rid of our 3 or 4 current servers and put new VM's on our new Dell servers in which we can hold multiple VMs and place 1 at each site. Then setup the VMs to be replicated between each site for disaster recovery purposes.

Is it possible?

Will VMware site recovery manager 5, Veeman or Vreplicator will do the job?

Do i need to setup cloning or take snapshots and then move them to the 2nd server?

Apologize there is not much info here, but i can provide more details if you guys need.

Please check the attachment

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

#2 setnaffa

setnaffa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:helping people, keeping my family happy, doing a variety of computer stuff

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

No attachment present, so not enough data to give you more than questions and generic advice.

Completely possible; but do a pilot at each site to make sure all the important folks are on board and verify security. Best practices are to use only one or two CPUs for VMs unless they REALLY need more. Long story there.

Site Recovery Manager really requires storage replication between sites with good WAN links, so set that up first..

Edited by setnaffa, 18 August 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#3 simpleuser1

simpleuser1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

No attachment present, so not enough data to give you more than questions and generic advice.

Completely possible; but do a pilot at each site to make sure all the important folks are on board and verify security. Best practices are to use only one or two CPUs for VMs unless they REALLY need more. Long story there.

Site Recovery Manager really requires storage replication between sites with good WAN links, so set that up first..

Thanks i will look into it, and apologize for the Attachment;

#4 ahmedamine

ahmedamine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

hi there , i do not know if you still need help or not , anyway
Check the Vmware License you have, because if it s Enterprise or enterprise plus you have Vmware vStorage appliance, that can help you share your local storage if needed
Then when using SRM, both sites have to be the same, and you ll need a vcenter in both of them
Veeam is a good product that can also be used

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users