• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 royandroy

royandroy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

hey guys, i need help connecting vmware machines (6 of them) to a real cisco switch.. any idea, anyone?

thanks

#2 martinlo

martinlo

V.I.P. Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

thru your PC NIC; VMware must be bridge and getting IP form outside router.

and if those must be separated, then you need NIC that supports Vlan tagging 802.1q; then you can connect each machine to NIC_vlan x as you will have many NICs on PC.

see https://learningnetw...art=15&tstart=0

page 2 have NIC with Vlans.

#3 royandroy

royandroy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hey, thanks for replying..

so does that mean, i need more than one NIC on my Laptop.. Sorry i am still nerd in IT. I did go through the link you provided above but the talk in there, sounds like, too flashy for me. Would you be able to explain me please? Basically, I have few 2950s and one 3550.. I will be doing Switching practice only... (3550 can do Layer 3 right ?). Then I have a PC and I am running virtual machines. i will be giving
static IPs (lab practice), connect them to 4 different 2950s and have a connection with the C3550 for layer3 - VLANLab...

So, if i understood you correctly, i can connect those VM to the one NIC i have on my PC or do i need more than one physical NIC..

by reading all this, you must have understood, that i am totally confused -lol . any help will be great

ta

Edited by royandroy, 07 November 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#4 setnaffa

setnaffa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:helping people, keeping my family happy, doing a variety of computer stuff

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

OBVIOUSLY, the laptop has only one NIC or wireless connection. Just as clear, you need to reread the VMware documentation and review your requirements. It may be that what you want to do cannot be done with only one physical NIC, in which case you need to revisit your design again. Or it may be you just need to rethink how you connect the physical cables.

Here is a good free resource: http://pubs.vmware.c...rking-guide.pdf

#5 martinlo

martinlo

V.I.P. Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

do u have NIC with Vlans on laptop? mine does; Intel (see attached proprieties of NIC)

this is same concept to one called Breakout switch used in CCIE Labs with GNS3; see 4 options at http://www.gns3.net/switching/

what cert is this for?

Attached Files

Edited by martinlo, 08 November 2012 - 09:00 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vmware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users