• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 BlackMeanie

BlackMeanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:27 AM

Yeah we had a guy in our class that got his MCSE within the year of our course and the guy was a numbskull. We had a break in our network for a project and this guy fresh off of 291 tries to fix this by checking DNS settings. Well buddy didn't try pinging via IP first and as soon as he saw that name resolution wasn't working jumped on the DNS band wagon. I walked over and fastened the cord to our hub and bingo, connectivity restored. It's peope like that who need a good kick in the head. Faulty's right. TK's answers are the devil and google is your friend. :D

#32 imran.nazir

imran.nazir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:17 AM

Very interesting thread, i m writing points down like,

certification tells much more than the fact that you are an IT proffesional, it tells that you are more interested in your career, that you want to develop youself and to evolve"

by tavid and many others

to use in my interview if i ever get one, :P

blackmeanie and faulty, i use the same method, infact i've had many discussions with jimmterry on google talk about tk answers and we have learned a lot from these discussion.

As for spacyfreak, i totally agree with you as well, you have to know your stuff but not every bit of it, like i've said before, when you drive a car you have an understanding on wats goes on under the hood of the car but it is impossible to know every singl detail, so study hard to get throw and when you get come across somthing that you now not fully remember, go hit google or M$ knowledge base and learn again, i m sure there is always a question that every expert gets stuck on because he know's wat it is but cannot remember any more.

good discussion guys, let us keep it going for others to learn from. Discussions like these can change a paper MCSE and put them on the right track.

#33 TAVId

TAVId

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

Well - i think in a real testlab exam it would be easier for me than selecting some abstract answers in multiple choice exams.
As i said, i AM in the job, and i fix daily problems - with or without certs. B)

So - i congretulate you! You must have brains like melones when you have every bit in your head you will ever need... fool yourself! Muhaha.

With all due respect, you fix them maybe because you have experience not because you passed the exams and have certifications.

I really respect your opinion but I don't know what or how much you understood from my post.
I don't say I know every bit I will ever need, I say that when I learn, I learn like I would really need it in the future. Of course, if you don't use the information repeatedly, you will soon lose (forget) some of it, it's only human. If you forget it then you can use the study guides for reference or google.
But craming an exam, TK a couple of times and passing it in 4 days and then when you have to do sometihng, use google.... well, this seams stupid. then, why are you certified for?! why do you call yourself a professional?!

With all these certified nutheads, I'm beggining to think (not completly sure) that TK is the worse thing that could happen to "certifications world" because certifications are loosing their credibility and more and more "certified nut-crackers" appear.
Sorry, maybe I'm a little bit out of line but this is my point of view.
I'm looking forward for other opinions.

TAVI.

Edited by TAVId, 05 January 2006 - 10:31 AM.

#34 trueblue

trueblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:48 PM

With all these certified nutheads, I'm beggining to think (not completly sure) that TK is the worse thing that could happen to "certifications world" because certifications are loosing their credibility and more and more "certified nut-crackers" appear.
Sorry, maybe I'm a little bit out of line but this is my point of view.
I'm looking forward for other opinions.

Well said, TAVI. Microsoft and other IT certifications have certainly lost much credibility because of the brain dumps.

It's also ironic that some of our most experienced technicians are failing the new harder M$ exams, while novices with a TK in hand are passing in a week. Something needs to be done soon before our certs are worthless.

#35 TAVId

TAVId

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:44 AM

It's also ironic that some of our most experienced technicians are failing the new harder M$ exams, while novices with a TK in hand are passing in a week. Something needs to be done soon before our certs are worthless.

Very true... I have a work coleague who failed a MS exam although he's very good.

I hold more respect for guyz who hold CISSP, CCIE and Citrix certs , coz I believe they guyz know their stuff.

I do too. But these are high end certifications wich have very big requirements.
You have to have 5 years experience in one of the 10 IT domains to be able to be a CISSP. You can take and pass the exam but until you can prove your 5 years of experience you'll be an associate and not recognised as a CISSP.
Of course everybody knows about the CCIE. It's an exam wich necesitates tremendous technical hands-on experience (the lab). If there wasn't for the experience then everybody would have it, regarding the marketability and the recognition of this exam.
I also hold true respect for this certs. Only true IT professionals hold this certificates.
I also believe CISA and ITIL are one of the most respectable certifications.

TAVI.

Edited by TAVId, 06 January 2006 - 05:41 AM.

#36 TSW1983

TSW1983

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

and then when you have to do sometihng, use google.... well, this seams stupid

well, then by the same token, calling tech support is stupid as well because you should already know the solution to your problem.

You made some good points in your posts.....but I don't agree with you on this. No matter how much you study and how much experience you have, sooner or later you are bound to run into a problem that you'll have no answer for and you won't be able to solve it on your own. No one knows the solutions to every problem, and answers to every question. There is a chance however, that somebody has previously ran into the issue you are having and is willing to share his knowledge with you. IMO, being able to research a problem is half of the solution.

BTW, thanks for a new sig :)

Edited by TSW1983, 06 January 2006 - 06:25 PM.

#37 TAVId

TAVId

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:05 AM

Well :) .... you took it a little to literaly. I didn't say that you're not a professional or that you don't know your stuff if you use google from time to time. But using it too often... then there is a problem, because it seams that you lack something. I guess everybody use it. And this is what is his purpose anyhow.

No one knows the solutions to every problem

- of course it's true

There is a chance however, that somebody has previously ran into the issue you are having and is willing to share his knowledge with you. IMO, being able to research a problem is half of the solution.

Again, true! That's why more and more companies (including the one I work for) adopt this... how should I call it... IT Ticket System. Every help-desk/support problem is logged. When a certain problem occurs again then you can check to see if anybody encontered it in the past and solved it, before you proceed to finding a solution yourself. It saves time and money.

BTW, thanks for a new sig

- honoured :)

But I should correct myself... it's yourself insteed of youself. I miss letters when I'm in a hurry. (or hungry) :) :P

Tavi

Edited by TAVId, 07 January 2006 - 03:05 AM.

#38 neo2003sp1

neo2003sp1

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts
  • Interests:My Six Steps Way to Success...
    1) Decide Which Certification Is Right for You
    - MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003, MCAD/MCSD, MCDBA
    2) Gain Hands-on Experience with MS Products
    - 180 day evaluation version
    3) Expand Your Experience with Training
    - by Instructor-led MOC Course @ MS Certified Partners
    4) Know What to Expect on Exams
    - study MS Press Self-Paced Training Kit
    5) Take a Trial Run with a Practice Test
    - Testking.com / ActualTest.com
    6) Take Your Required Exams
    - Buy Voucher, Pay Less, Arrive On Time

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

It seems that The Journey of Experience near to The End, I should UNPIN it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users