So here is pretty much like is in my countrys:
1. There is no difference in salaries between Win and Lin admins
2. Lin admins are fewer (but it's required to them also to know Windows)
3. Win admins there is plenty (well at least they think they are admins)
4. From every admins (with good salary and good company) the requirements for job are: Linux administration, Windows administration, MySQL / Oracle / RDMBS, DNS administration, Apache administration, PHP, C/C++, BD/MD in computer science or something similar and several years experience and only god knows what else. Well OK but the picture is pretty much the same even for Junior System administrator. -
5. Every CCNA, MCSA, MCSE in my country think that are cool with everything related to computers
6. Certificates are really not much important - well this have 1 good side but really I think this is not right
Well now to the theme:
I cannot give any good example for this but I will try and I also expect paiste2002 to point other thigs:
1. IPTABLES - Well I really think this is the most flexable firewall for PC today
2. APACHE - The is the most used web server and nowdays it even beats IIS in SSL/TLS
3. POSTFIX/SENDMAIL - these are some pretty good mail servers
And All this is FREE! This means that if you just open an office or new company one good Linux admin will make your expences to minumum. Also I just read one article in which says that avarega 1 linux admin take care of 44 servers, while 1 Windows admin to only 10. I also see some network budgets and in the end of all calculations the results are that Linux enviroment will be a hell more cheaper than Windows enviroment.
Edited by Explisit, 07 May 2006 - 10:23 PM.