35 replies to this topic

#1 b_d

b_d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:34 PM

Help me friends!
I tried to replace a CD device with a new one.
After replacement my computer woun't boot !
I come back to initial cfg but the same thing !
The computer try to boot after pressing power push button but it's stop before appearing any message on sceen moitor.And no debug beep !
This time power led is liting intermitently ( like in stand-by mode)The fan , harddisk and CD are powerd !( I can efect manualy CD).
Also i can stop computer by pressing pwr push button.
I tested power source (ATX) on other computer that is booting OK !
So i conlude that power supply is OK !.
What anything else could be ?

#2 donganram

donganram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Reading Books............

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:51 PM

Dear Friend,

I suspect with your jumper settings...Mind you one thing. Both HDD and CD-ROM are primary disks by default as a new one....Later we could change as our wishes...

now your HDd may be primary. So change the jumper of CD-ROM to secondary or just remove it. Now try yourself...i hope it will work no properly....

#3 b_d

b_d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:23 PM

Hi donganram !
I already did this but same thing !
I tried to boot with original cfg that works before but didn't work now!

#4 Guest_frank_d_*

Guest_frank_d_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

hi

check wether u hav connected the bus wires correctly and it maches the red to red stlye ok then check for any loose conectivity or any loose wires here and there

read the beep check the ram remove the bus and boot see what happens

if u still have problems write to me i ll surely help friend bye

frank

#5 b_d

b_d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:23 AM

Wire is OK and i have no beep!

#6 MSDummy

MSDummy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:29 AM

Have you tried to power up by removing one device at a time?? Maybe you could find out which device is causing the problem by then.

#7 ecperez

ecperez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:31 AM

just remove all the device and leave the power supply video card and keyboard install the rest remove it. If got display then one by one install the other parts.

#8 gettinglucky

gettinglucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:46 AM

Always reduce the configuration to the simplest form, motherboard, keyboard, video card and keep adding until you find a component that does not work!

#9 Aspen

Aspen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:59 AM

If I recall my A+, no beep is usually a sign of motherboard failure.

#10 b_d

b_d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:02 PM

Could be also Processor ?
How can i identify ?

#11 Aspen

Aspen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:32 AM

I went back and checked my old A+ book....

for a PC with an IBM ROM BIOS chip, no beeps is the sign of a bad power supply or system board failure

For a PC with a Phoenix ROM Bios chip, no beep is the sign of a CPU register test failure.

The alternative would be to figure out the system manufacturer, and see if there is any technical info on their website that could help.

#12 Guest_htemiztr_*

Guest_htemiztr_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:23 AM

Hi,

I think some slutions.

1.Did u see HDD on the BIOS Table?
2.Did you try boot with Win98 startup discet?
3.Did u try HDD another machine? May be Its failed.

#13 b_d

b_d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:24 PM

As i already mentioned i see nothing on monitor.
There is no try to boot.

#14 Guest_htemiztr_*

Guest_htemiztr_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2004 - 06:52 PM

All HDD has MBR part. It information for booting. May be MBR made a mistake.If u see HDD in BIOS.Certainly MBR failed. If at boot time u did not see bios screen. Grapfic card or main board defective.

#15 vlados

vlados

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:03 PM

B_P (Big Pumper). At this moment i'm sitting at the computer which one every day to start it have to be started few times. This PC is connected through UPS, so I have to turn off UPS for a few times and try to turn on, until it start. Actually the same thing is happenig like to you, there is nothing on the moniter. That started to happening after admin put new CD-RW(Cyber) in the PC. We've tried to fix it, "doing this and that"(refreshing BIOS,changing power suply,changing grafivh card etc.) but nothing. Try the same to start it and if you find what was the problem let us know. This one PC I'm working now we you use only for Internet, I hope not same destiny is whit your comp. G.L.

#16 vlados

vlados

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

Same think is happening with one PC at my work. We have to start it for a few times until it start to work(turn off and on UPS). It's started to happening until admin put new CD-RW(Cyber). We've tried to fix it but after two months it works the same. I hope your PC didn't catch the same destiny. Let us know if you fix the problem and good luck! However try all suggestions from forum friends, we have tried all but nothing :blush:

#17 techspl

techspl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:43 AM

This type of problems are sometimes very frustrating, something you can do is

check if the motherboard is not grounding somewhere with the chasis.
also inportant thing to check is the onboard battery i have come across cases where the battery gets shorted and could result in such problems, so you can try replacing the cmos battery it could solve problem.
the best way to trouble shoot hardware problems is as follows

1. remove all device such as hdd, cdroms, dvds , check for display if there is beep and display good connect other device in priorty of hdd, fdd, cdrom, any other addition peripherals
if this dosent gives display, remove memory from slot , clean the contacts with isopropyl if nessesary and reseat properly
if it has a display adapter which is not onboard remove clean contacts and reseat.
if you suspect a power supply problem , check for voltages on the yellow black, red black pairs for 12 v and 5 v respectively.
next to check is the power-on button in case of atx power supply, disconnect the soft poweron button, there is a 2 pin jumper on the mainboard known as atx power on short it with a metal screwdrives , this is akin to pressing the soft poweron button, the will isolate the problem of powerswitch if any.
sometimes there is also a problem of bios seating if it is socket based, a slight push on the chip will reaseat it properly.

IMP: keep the power supply off when you add remove components, and touch your bare hand to some metal part on the chasis or metal surface before touching static sensitive parts as it helps in dissipating the static present on our hands which could damage sensitve electronic components.

HOPE THIS HELPS

#18 aznpunk97

aznpunk97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:16 AM

If you see nothing on monitor, and no beeps from computer, then it gotta be a motherboard failure! I had 3 of those motherboard failures with 3 brand new motherboardS!! cheap ass bastards ECS K7S5A from frys, never buy them again!!!!

#19 anil_p22

anil_p22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 12:51 AM

Hi ,

There are many possiblilites. Some of them are as follows

1) While you are connecting the other hardware divice you might have phyc\sically damaged the Hard drive pins or the harddrive cable first check for the hardrive cable.

2) the boot sector might have been corrupted. Just try to boot with a win98 bootable media type fdisk /mbr or if you are using win2000 then use the repair option in the cd

3) the bios might have been corrupted. Try this this works out some time but i stronlgly recommend to be very careful while doing this. Remove the bios and try to short the pins with a screwdriver and then put it back. Once i have succeded doing this.

Cheers

#20 b_d

b_d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

Thanks to all friends.
Unfortunately you right !
My PC motherboard is dead.
Hope you will never have same problem.

#21 ecperez

ecperez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:08 PM

then this is the right time to upgrade your system :D

#22 Guest_MKNAIR_*

Guest_MKNAIR_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:43 PM

How the MBD got damaged by simply adding a CD drive. ???
If there is no Physical damage to your mbd may be your Bios has corrupted , you can try reprogramming it in any TEST& Repair centre , where they have BIOS CHIP writers.

Asus MBD had few issues like you mentioned . Asus has agreed to replace these MBD from field ( I remember it was some MOSFET problem they replaced with new version of MOSFET which in turn control the POST )

#23 a_muskat

a_muskat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:40 PM

Check jumpers.
Disconnect all CD cabels.
Try to boot with only HDD.

#24 Guest_fasllt47_*

Guest_fasllt47_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:03 PM

I would try it on another board controller see if the CDROM is deteteced in CMOS, it may be that the controller could have been damaged in the change. Try resetting the facotry defaults in the CMOS (Most will provide a utility for this in the CMOS or a keystroke)

If that doesnt work reseat the processor and memory (Have seen issues like this before in work where this was the fix) and reseat all IDE/SATA Cables on the system and check jumper settings

If all else fails you could sub in some know good parts to eliminate parts down to a single point of failure.

Hopes this helps

#25 subus2000

subus2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:15 PM

hi

Remove the data cable from the mother board.and remove the powre cable fome both hdd and cdrom. and take the ram out and check there is beep or not
of there is a beep put the ram back. and if the display comes than check tha cable and install it once again

#26 Guest_fhwi666_*

Guest_fhwi666_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:04 PM

hi,

are you sure that the cable's conneting correct?

Could you rebuild the old hardware?

greetings,
fhwi

#27 b_d

b_d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:13 PM

Of course cables are in correct position.First thing I have tried after crash was rebuil old configuration with no results.

#28 Guest_whoiam_*

Guest_whoiam_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:41 AM

Remove all things from motherboard, leav just processer and ram, then press "f" key and press power button. you can also try to clear the CMOS. let me know if there is any beep sound. if not that try to reinstall C.P.U. and RAM. Check all connection properly.

#29 b_d

b_d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:32 AM

I tried to reinstall both CPu $ mem , no beep too.

#30 kupz

kupz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:20 AM

That is why we need to to make sure that we are properly grounded and wearing static wrist strap when we play with PC parts.

MBs are very sesitive to static electricity.....

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users