Site Offline

The community is currently offline and only accessible to those with permission.

Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
Seb2

Rsop Vs Gpresult - Same Thing?

According to this site, it seems to be just about the same thing. Both are supposed to show the resulting policy settings, after going through all the steps like local - site - domain - ou.

http://www.2000trainers.com/windows-2003/group-policy-rsop/

"To help circumvent this issue, Microsoft provided a utility in the Windows 2000 resource kit know as gpresult.exe. Essentially, this command-line utility was used to discern the exact policy settings that would apply to a user or computer once group policy processing was complete. Unfortunately, the long text-based output of the tool made it difficult to grasp exact settings, and as another tool buried on the resource kit, many administrators weren’t even aware of its existence. Gpresult.exe is now included as a built-in utility with Windows Server 2003, but most administrators will probably still feel more comfortable with the Resultant Set of Policy tool."

There are one question on a P4S though, where a custom GPO for a custom application are set, but it doesn't seem to work so you have to run some command to see if it works or not.

Both gpresult.exe and RSoP.msc are options, but for some reason only gpresult.exe is right.

A bit strange, since searching on the web makes it look like they both do about the same thing.

My book dont cover any serious differences, it almost only mentions them briefly.

Anyone?

Edited by Seb2

RSOP.msc is graphical whereas grpresult is cmd line tool. Maybe there is a requirement to use scripting or something?

Syntax

Gpresult [/s Computer [/u Domain\User/p Password]][/user TargetUserName][/scope {user | computer}][{/v | /z}]

p4s for which exam has this question? How bout if you PrintScreen, upload the image to imageshack.us and link it here?

Its the only P4S I've seen for 70-270, v1.0

Question goes like this (give or take some spelling error, I typed it pretty fast). No figure for the question, just text.

You are the desktop administrator for your company's sales department. The IT manager for the sales department creates a custom policy that will apply to a custom application that is loaded on the department's Windows XP Professional computers. He deploys this policy by using Group Policy.

When you inspect the sales department's computers, you find out that the application has not been modified by the policy. You want to examine Windows XP Professional to find out wheather the custom policy is affecting the correct location in the Registry.

Which command should you run?

A - Msinfo32.exe

B - Gpresult.exe

C - Gpedit.msc

D - Rsop.msc

Right answer as I said earlier are B, but I dont get why D ain't right since they both do the same thing, just in different ways?

hmm, the key words here are:

You want to examine Windows XP Professional to find out wheather the custom policy is affecting the correct location in the Registry.

It does not ask you if you want to see if policy is applied or if the software is installed. It sound like you are sure that it is installed, but it's not installed properly. I don't think rsop or gpresult can do that. I'd use regedit, but this is not an option.

I am starting to lean toward msinfo32 ... There is an option, under Software Environement, Windows Error Reporting that displays all the errors in the application event log.

It might be that p4s do not have the correct available answers ...

Ouch :(

Thanks for help though, I dont have a clue on this one.

GPRESULT gives you the same basic type of information as the Resultant Set of Policy Snap-in does. The primary difference is the GPRESULT is a command line tool. This means that you can easily use GPRESULT to script and log the resultant set of policy for large numbers of users and/or computers. Another difference between GPRESULT and the Resultant Set a Policy Snap-in is the GPRESULT provides you with configuration information in addition to information derived from the various group policies.