19 replies to this topic

#1 carlb

carlb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

Just failed the PMP exam.

I have 10 years project management experience, but this dosent really count for anything as you should answer each question on the exam as though it was only asking for the PMI best practises answer.

Prepared by reading the PMBOK guide three times and the Rita book twice, about 3 months hard and intense study in all.
Memorised all 44 processes and knowledge areas, all formulas.

Some of the questions were total waffle and you have to try to understand what they are even asking???

Got moderately proficient in 3 areas and belw proficient in 3 areas. Before I submitted the exam for scoring I really though I'd passed, but no. The answers are so close to each other and you may even have 4 correct answers to choose from and need to pick the best one out of them.

In conclusion, this is a tough exam and I'm back to the drawing board with at leat another 2-3months of hard study.

Good luck.

#2 SirBillyBob

SirBillyBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

That is a shame. It is a very hard test because of those questions. I found the CISSP to be just like it. You must find the BEST answer not always the one you really use. I suspect anyone doing PM work that isn't exactly as PMI dictates would have a rough time on this exam. I used to be this way with Microsoft years ago. Once I learned that there is the real world answer and then there is the Microsoft answer, I was able to pass their tests.

For the PMP, they really get into the exact steps to each phase and the order that each phase "must" be in (though in real world they blend). I do a lot of small projects (less than 120 hours) so I don't use PMI's structure that often, therefore learning it was like doing something completely different from what I normally do. That may have been what helped me pass.

Keep trying. Remember to try as many practice tests as you can get your hands on. They really helped me get used to the wording on this test.

#3 screeeeeem

screeeeeem

Proud To Be Gay!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10448 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

im sorry to hear that
wish u luck next time

#4 samsung

samsung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

Can anyone tell me where we give PMP exam in India (Mumbai).

#5 Jeffreyrob

Jeffreyrob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:46 AM

I have 10 years project management experience, but this dosent really count for anything as you should answer each question on the exam as though it was only asking for the PMI best practises answer.

Prepared by reading the PMBOK guide three times and the Rita book twice, about 3 months hard and intense study in all.

Some of the questions were total waffle and you have to try to understand what they are even asking???

Got moderately proficient in 3 areas and belw proficient in 3 areas. Before I submitted the exam for scoring I really though I'd passed, but no. The answers are so close to each other and you may even have 4 correct answers to choose from and need to pick the best one out of them.

In conclusion, this is a tough exam and I'm back to the drawing board with at leat another 2-3months of hard study.

Good luck.

My friend just went through the same thing you did. He studied the questions again and answered the PMI way and passed.

#6 123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

Sorry to hear that,how much did the exam cost you?

#7 Jackson Chong

Jackson Chong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hmm..., well
this sort of exam is totally the most difficult to play
so...,
normally, just like the other and in other forum said that we need some "CHEAT" to pass it...

#8 yusi_2

yusi_2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

Good luck.

hi,
i had passed cisa few months back. it found to be same as your comments on pmp.these certifications are hard to earn and thats why it is the most credible around the world. best of luck for the next time.

#9 nitpas

nitpas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:27 PM

im sorry to hear that
wish u luck next time

u did not use any dumps for this exam,was it your mony thst u invested ?

#10 Kamal-P

Kamal-P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

I also want to give PMP exam, I have studied PMP 4th edition Book. Could any one please provide me the Rita 6th Edition, so that I can download it and study.

#11 ShockFactor

ShockFactor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:24 AM

I passed the PMP exam on my first attempt a couple of weeks ago. I have my thoughts on how I passed the exam with less study time than most recommended. I am not saying a person should follow my method. Because in my view it is a very challenging exam and it lives up to it reputation. That is why getting a PMP is such a big accomplishment.

Here is what I did.

1) I have 14 year experience on projects.. large projects and small ones. I have about 8 years leading and have a degree. The big project view is how you have to approach the exam in my view. Think of large projects.
2) I used Rita's study materials
3) I took all the practice exams I could find and ensured I scored around 80% on them.
4) I studied 4 hours in the evenings after work and 6-8 hours on the weekends through a study plan I came up with. I did this for 3 1/2 weeks
5) Work paid for an exam prep course. By the time I took this course I felt I knew the material. Remember understand the material, don't try to memorize the whole pmbok. You have to be able to apply it. To me you couldn't just read the PMBOK and pass the exam. In my view.
6) Remember study hard, understand the content and practice test exams. Don't get fooled into thinking because you have 20 years in project management the exam will be a breeze. You probably will learn a lot well studying.. and that is half the value to me.

Even when I was preparing for the exam, I was happy to know its not a easy exam because I knew once I passed it, it would be a more valued designation

#12 Kevinfer

Kevinfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

Hi,
If you restart the preparation for PMP exam so. You should take the internationally famous PMP exam. However, this exam is very difficult and truly distinguishes any one who pass it and many companies specifically require it from project management.
I present here an iphone game that can help you prepare for the exam in a fun and easy way. It will introduce you to the 42 process from the PMBOK. The game is sold on the app store for 0.99 which is much less than the exam fee, so I think it’s worth it.
Buy the game from: http://itunes.apple....d405813718?mt=8
Check the game on youtube at:
Also there is a flash version on the developers site at www.kuwaitat.com
You might also want to download the free game that will introduce you to the 42 process from the same developer called PMP Drag and Drop from: http://itunes.apple....d397206368?mt=8

Posted Image

#13 setnaffa

setnaffa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:helping people, keeping my family happy, doing a variety of computer stuff

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:19 AM

u did not use any dumps for this exam,was it your mony thst u invested ?

Studying dumps on this exam is a waste as it's easier to just memorize the entire PMBOKv4 and a couple formulae... There are over 10,000 questions in their answer pool...

#14 Be Quick Or Be Dead!

Be Quick Or Be Dead!

Retired and Rusted

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

Common close the post already... This post is 3 years old..... Let them RIP.

#15 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

I 2nd BQBD's opinion. Its proving to be a little misleading for people passing by. Close it!

#16 PM32804

PM32804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

I'm in the exact same boat. Been a PM since 1997, tons of projects under my belt. The exam was nothing like what I studied with IIL material. PMI test questions were written poorly - certainly no one with a command of the English language - doesn't bode well for the PMI organization.

In still in anger mode, but resolved to move forward and study in some other way.

Good luck to you!

#17 shanekirsten

shanekirsten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Hey ..I am sorry to hear that you couldnt clear it..But I would suggest you attending some good PMP training camp and that would help you a lot. Where are you located? May be I could suggest a few..

Cheers!!

#18 Karlene

Karlene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about that. The PMP exam is one of the hardest exam. I will suggest that you should follow the guidance of the prep provider. I will suggest select either PM ti, Cheetah, PMstudy for your PMP exam prep journey. they are the best.
I have taken PMstudy classroom course and passed the PMP exam on my 1st try.

#19 Project Management

Project Management

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi CarlB, Sorry to hear you failed must be a real disappointment after study so hard and having 10 years experience but these things happen sad.png I have a little bit of advice for you, would you not do a short course where you are thought the information and a clear foundation of PMP which you can build on through research ing the book and other materials. I know the course is difficult but you said you you "Prepared by reading the PMBOK guide three times and the Rita book twice, about 3 months hard and intense study in all." that is a whole lot of study time and effort which makes me think you are not getting the foundation or studying the right way. I would suggest a short course 3-5 days, I am sure you would pass then. Have a look at http://www.professio...agement-courses I have done the project management course with them and some colleagues did a customer service and new manager course and they found it very beneficial. Espically when you are getting a qualification. Let me know what you think.

#20 waynesshah

waynesshah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Most of the questions reference the PMI A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (the PMBOK Guide).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users