Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
mr_frz

Eigrp Doubt

to disable autosummarization you have to write :

R5(config-router)#no auto-summary

I couldn't have said it better myself. The command you mentioned enable eigrp on interfaces that belong to the network you specified.

the network commands with IGPs (eigrp ospf and rip) seems quite confusing in the beginning, the network command for such routing protocol does following things

1. it sends hello packets and establishes connection with direct peer

2. it advertises the network to its directly connected peer

3. it also tells router on which interface the protocol should be run

as i told u in my 3rd statement"

1 earlier IOS versions doesnt allow us to run EIGRP on specific interfaces,

2. reason: becoz EIGRP by default is classful routing protocol, so using network command enables a eigrp using default prefix notation

3.but with the help of wildcard masks, now you can tell eigrp that on which specific interfaces to run,

4. suppose you have router interface that has ip address 172.16.1.1, u want eigrp specificaly to run on this interface,

5. by using 0.0.0.0 as a wildcard, u can run eigrp on that particular interface.

however this doesnt stop eigrp from acting as a classful protocol, to disable eigrp default classful behaviour, use no auto summary command.

network command on BGP works differently, network command tells which network to be installed in routing protocol, however to establish a bgp peer to a directly connected router, u have to do it with a "neighbor ip address remote-as" ,command

Edited by talent pk

Hi

These are basically 2 diffrent concept

1Network command just enable eigrp on the given specified interface ( best example is nework 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 in case of ospf , here the wild card mask and the interface mask has no links)

2. To disable or not to disable auto summary is done by "no auto-summary" ( default is enable in case of eigrp)

regards

Hi,

I wanted to know if the EIGRP command:

network 172.16.1.0 0.0.0.255

automatically disables autosummarization?

the network commands with IGPs (eigrp ospf and rip) seems quite confusing in the beginning, the network command for such routing protocol does following things

1. it sends hello packets and establishes connection with direct peer

2. it advertises the network to its directly connected peer

3. it also tells router on which interface the protocol should be run

as i told u in my 3rd statement"

1 earlier IOS versions doesnt allow us to run EIGRP on specific interfaces,

2. reason: becoz EIGRP by default is classful routing protocol, so using network command enables a eigrp using default prefix notation

3.but with the help of wildcard masks, now you can tell eigrp that on which specific interfaces to run,

4. suppose you have router interface that has ip address 172.16.1.1, u want eigrp specificaly to run on this interface,

5. by using 0.0.0.0 as a wildcard, u can run eigrp on that particular interface.

however this doesnt stop eigrp from acting as a classful protocol, to disable eigrp default classful behaviour, use no auto summary command.

network command on BGP works differently, network command tells which network to be installed in routing protocol, however to establish a bgp peer to a directly connected router, u have to do it with a "neighbor ip address remote-as" ,command

in addition for bgp configuration,

you have to make sure that you can ping the ip address that you specify on your neighbor statement. in case of ebgp, you can use the "neighbor ip address remote-as" if you use the ip address of directly connected router. if you use the loopback add of the next hop router, you have to make that the loopback address is reachable via static route and issue ebgp multihop "hop count" after "neighbor ip address remote-as" command.

for ibgp, make sure that the ip address in your neighbor statement is reachable via igp or static route as router in ibgp does not accept route on the same AS to avoid loop.

just my 2 cents....