Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
talent pk

The WindowsXP point in Time Recovery

12 posts in this topic

ever did XP point in Time recovery. now i dont mean running a Restore point and restoring to earlier state. this step even kids can do. i m asking about a complete Windows crash, u cannot logon either in safe mode. how will u bring back your old windows.

did you try to boot from the Win XP CD setup?

what if there was no ASR set created. how will we do a point in time recovery. dont be angry guys. i ve done this its quite easy though but many people dont know about this method. will give configurations after some time. till then have patience.

Cheers

Edited by talent pk

what if there was no ASR set created. how will we do a point in time recovery. dont be angry guys. i ve done this its quite easy though but many people dont know about this method. will give configurations after some time. till then have patience.

Cheers

ASR are mostly used for servers, caz if this machine gets down, you don't have an option to re-install and re-configure. As an example in my network we take ASR and System state backups after every 2 or 3 days.

If you got some other solution, feel free to share. Definately you will set me free from this big headach of taking backups.

13th

what will you do then?

let the Win XP copy the boot files like NTDTCT,Boot.ini,NTLDR..

If be RIS server, It's possible to restore the previous OS's image file from RIS thru network.

is it this one Talent_PK?

when you face a problem like this so you have to know the followings:

1.Dissconnect any USB,FireWire,Adapters and Externals devices or wires which connected to your PC.

2.Yuo have to check that the driver of your Hard Disk is setup

3.In the Bios you have to use the option ((Set The Default Settings)).

4.There are many apps cause this problem like updating wrong VGA driver,installing apps which used for the Burning via your CD drive.

5.Try to use only 1 RAM no more.

so if you are checked that these things are ok so I guess you will not face it and dont forget to test your Hard Disk ((By UnlimettedCD)) according to its type and manufacturer.

so after applying theses try to start using Safe Mode and if you logged in Safe Mode so I think half of your problem solved.

WINDOWS XP POINT IN TIME RECOVERY IS THE FINAL RECOVERY STEP

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THAT ALLOWS YOU TO RECOVER WINDOWS EVEN WHEN

1.U DIDNT HAD AUTOMATED SYSTEM RECOVERY SET. OR

2.YOU CANT LOGON EVEN THROUGH SAFE MODE OR COMMAND PROMPT

3.YOU CANT USE THE REPAIR facility that you sometimes find at the time of setup

i know lot of people already know this way of fixing but they never try it.

HERE ARE STEPS OF REPAIR AND RECOVERY

1. there are key registry files in root:\windows\system32\config

they are named as

1.default

2.sam

3.security

4.system

5.software

and then therez a folder in the root named : system volume information. inside this folder you will find lots of folders named RP0,RP1 RP2 n so on.

that r responsible for running windows along with device drivers and installed programs and NTFS users and permissions and alot more.

2. we need to make sure not only we need to fix them but also not to loose the originality of these files, so we create a backup of these.

3. after trying all the possible ways, we do one more try. put bootable XP cd and bootup with Windows XP setup. after XP finishes loading basic drivers and files into memory, here you receive a small message. "PRESS R for Repair" this is advanced Recovery and repair and alot of people skip this becoz after they press R they are led to a black screen with prompt only. not all people realise what they can do from this screen so they restart again and do other Repair that comes afterwards.

4. By pressing R you are now in Repair screen where you are given options to select Windows partition that you want to repair by hitting 1 or 2 or so on.

5. first you need to make backup files that i already mentiond above in c:\windows\system32\config\

those of you who had worked in DOS will be familiar with these Renaming and copying commands. we need to reuse those traditional commands here

using :

Note: we may or may not need these files depending on wether our system has Restore Point enabled or disabled. it is always good to keep these files as a backup

c:\windows\ren c:\windows\system32\config\default default.bak

c:\windows\ren c:\windows\system32\config\sam sam.bak

c:\windows\ren c:\windows\system32\config\security security.bak

c:\windows\ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.bak

c:\windows\ren c:\windows\system32\config\software software.bak

what we have done here is renamed the original files with .bak extention becoz the original files have no extension.

now immedietly we have to put these files back into c:\windows\system32\config because the original files though are there but being renamed will not be functional till either the files will be replaced with same names or removing the .bak from their names. but if we remove the .bak from them we will be back to square 1 with no windows recovery becoz remember that this was corrupted by virus or some bad software registry modifications.

now we need to take fresh copies of these files, When we install windowsxp, at the time of installation XP creates a folder named Repair under WIndows folder.c:\windows\repair, lots of people donot know about this one so now what we will do next is stay at the same command prompt, and copy the five hive files back into \system32\config

c:\windows\copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\ press enter

c:\windows\copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\ press enter

c:\windows\copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\ press enter

c:\windows\copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\ press enter

c:\windows\copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\ press enter

6. we have again copied the same sam,security,default,software and system hives back into c:\windows\system32\config location, at this point we are ready to boot windows. can u imagine in 5 minutes a completely broken windows back into action

restart your pc and you will see Windows XP back. After logging into your Windows, u will find that all your files and applications as it is, at the time you last successfully used your Windows.

7. however non of your application programs will work becoz your registries have been changed back to fresh slate. and non of these applications are registered in windows registry so you cannot run your programs.

8. so now we have successfully started our windows, but that is not a Data Recovery or complete WIndows recovery. we might have Oracle Running and a Database cant be accessed while Windows is back to its old state.

9. TO get windows back to its normal running state and to Get Windows back to its Old Registry we can proceed with further Recovery. as show in diagram open the folder named System Volume Information.

48598789lv3.jpg

10. if you cant open you need to edit NTFS permissions to open.

77566181tm1.jpg

after opening the folder you will find lots of Subfolders named RP0 and RP1 and so on. these are the Registry and hives backups that windows automatically creates everytime you are installing or removing programs or system drivers. inside these RP folders lies different backups of registries and Hive files that windows creates through RESTORE POINT. these are such a valuable piece of recovery that we will use to get our old windows back

11. Now we have to make a guess when choosing the RP folder. Take one of the recent RP folder either by checking its date or suppose we have RP68 , RP60 and PR70. we will suppose that RP 68 is the best RP becoz at this point our windows was working fine. This RP will give us a working windows since the last windows crash we will not take the most recent one. and certainly we maynot take one of the earlier RP, because then some of our later applications will not work. so choose RP wisely

12. Open the RP68 and open the snapshot folder. this snapshot was taken at the time when windows was working fine. we will take the following files and put under c:\windows\system32\config

77896752lj8.jpg

1_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

2._REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY

3._REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE

4._REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

5._REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT

13. Restart your computer and boot it again with WINDOWS XP setup. hit R again and enter into the Repair Console screen

14.Hit number to enter your Windows partition provide your Administrator credentials again

15.go under the c:\windows\system32\config and rename the new files with the old ones

c:\windows\system32\config\ren _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM sam

c:\windows\system32\config\ren _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY SECURITY

c:\windows\system32\config\ren _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM SYSTEM

c:\windows\system32\config\ren _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE SOFTWARE

c:\windows\system32\config\ren _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT DEFAULT

overwrite the new files with the old ones, you can hit TAB key to automate the file names and prevent typing mistakes just as we do in Cisco

we have renamed the files that we took from RP folder into the names as SAM, SECURITY,SYSTEM,DEFAULT,SOFTWARE

Now finally Restart your computer. Hopefully 90% are the chances that you will be back into your Windows with all of your programs and applications running. you can now update antivirus and registry repairing tools to clean the viruses and bugs.

NOTE: THIE BOLD FACE ARE THE COMMANDS\

i have done this many times. try reading these useful techniques

Edited by talent pk

ThanX 4 info... but as a start try to do what I wrote then we will start fixing our OS by normal Repair,ASR,copying boot files or connect the hard to another PC either master or slave...there are many things you have to do..

Regrds,,

what will you do then?

let the Win XP copy the boot files like NTDTCT,Boot.ini,NTLDR..

and as far as i remember ,if you select a different partion then before the step of copying files a screen comes where windows search for previous operating system installed so if you want to install a fresh copy then you must press Esc(dont repair) but if you want to repair that existing windows then it is very handy way to do that via this option.

Hey talent this is not the easy fixing :) ??? btw i saved your above config and will try it when i will face that issue.....

Thanks.