I had just passed my PMP exam yesterday and I am now officially certified Project Management Professional (PMP). And I want to share my experience to help any one willing to take the PMP Certificate.
Before you start:
- PMP Certificate is only for those who really have project management experience, it is not required to be the project manager of your previous projects but even being a team member in these projects will be considered in your project management experience.
- Applicants must have 35 hours of specific project management education.
- With a Bachelor’s Degree (or the global equivalent): Applicants must have a minimum three years’ professional project management experience, during which 4,500 hours are spent leading and directing project tasks, up to eight years from the time of application.
- Without a Bachelor’s Degree (or the global equivalent): Applicants must have a minimum five years’ professional project management experience, during which at least 7,500 hours are spent leading and directing project tasks, up to eight years from the time of application.
- For more details and information review PMI.org web site.
- Before taking your training, download and review CBT Nuggets - Project Management Professional. I am confirming it is not sufficient but it will give you a general overview and a solid understating of the PMP training material and it will help you not to get lost between the processes and knowledge areas.
- I recommend subscribing in the PMI and becoming a member and there is nothing to lose because the subscription fee will be deducted from your exam fee later on.
- Try to subscribe for your training with the least expensive available training center. Just make sure it is accredit training center. You only need to get the 35 hours credit for your exam application. From time to time you will get announcement from PMI regarding trainings in discounted prices in your area and it is one of the benefits of becoming a member in PMI.
- Try after each training session to review what you took in this session. Don’t memorize, don’t even take notes. Just digest what you took. If you can review the session in advance before taking it this will be much better for you. Usually the training center will provide you with the book
- Read you PMP book two times at least. Again don’t memorize and don’t take notes. Just read it and try to understand.
- Start to prepare your self for the exam questions using PM FasTrack 5 for rita mulcahy exam simulator. Don’t search for more exam engines this one is enough.
- Take tests by process group; try to answer the questions yourself before you peek at the answer.
- You must read the explanation for each question and it is now the time to take notes and memorize why the answer was like that. Don’t memorize the questions themselves. Your PMP exam questions will be totally new.
- Review all the questions two times at least.
- Start to take test in Super PMP mode which simulates the real exam and trine yourself to answer the question in no more than one minute. It is very important in your real exam to control the time.
- You must fill out an online application over PMI web site; your application must be reviewed and approved by PMI to get the eligibility. You can not register for PMP exam without the eligibility code.
- Regarding the application, it is a long and hard process which will take some time from you so be patient and you can work on it part by part if you want and the information will be saved automatically for your next session. And in the project management experience area take a copy of the requested data to an excel sheet, prepare it then you can login again to PMI site to continue your application and use this sheet to fill project management experience area.
- I recommend registering for your exam two months in advance for two reasons; first it will motivate you to study seriously, second to book your seat in the testing center. The PMP exam seats are limited.
- The Exam is four-hour examination composed of 200 multiple-choice questions, be relaxed and be confidant. The exam is not so easy and most of the questions are new but you can answer most of them if you prepare your self for the exam.
- Keep control on time try to answer each question in no more than one minute. At the end of each hour make sure that you answered 50 questions and you save some time for review.
- Don’t spend too much time on hard or long questions just choose what you think it is the right answer and mark the question for review later and go ahead with the exam.
- After the first 100 questions you must take a rest for refreshment, it is allowed to leave the testing room for a rest especially for long test like this one, go out of the room stretch your self, wash your face and go back fresh to continue your exam. Don’t spend more than five to ten minutes your exam timer will not stop.
- If you follow your time plan in the exam you will end up with 20-30 minutes for reviewing. Review the marked questions if you can then end your exam.
- You will get the result of the exam immediately, and if you pass the exam the report will start with CONGRATULATION in capital letters which I wish every one of you to see it at the end of his exam.
- The PMP certificate is a very hard and time consuming certificate, it will take more than six months from you to get it. So don’t suspect in your mental abilities . I wish you the best of luck
Edited by Walid Elsahar, 28 October 2008 - 06:00 PM.