Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
manniez

ODBC connection & NT Authentication Issue

Hi guys, Im not a database manager, im on hardware side actually but i need to solve one problem related to SQL and ODBC.

We have a server called "financial" on our domain.

My clients uses an application that requires a connection to Microsoft SQL 2005 on the financial server.

Using "Data Source ODBC" I define a System Data Source in "System DNS". But during the wizard i cannot connect to SQL Server (i.e. Financial).

When i made the user domain admin, the connection was successful and the application started running.

But it was just a test and i cannot make my clients domain admin.

I need a solution for this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, Im not a database manager, im on hardware side actually but i need to solve one problem related to SQL and ODBC.

We have a server called "financial" on our domain.

My clients uses an application that requires a connection to Microsoft SQL 2005 on the financial server.

Using "Data Source ODBC" I define a System Data Source in "System DNS". But during the wizard i cannot connect to SQL Server (i.e. Financial).

When i made the user domain admin, the connection was successful and the application started running.

But it was just a test and i cannot make my clients domain admin.

I need a solution for this.

Thanks in advance.

1. I assume that your clients have any domain aacounts (not domain admin accounts)?

2. Add these accounts to group named SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$%server_name%$MSSQLSERVER on your database server

3. Grant them appropriate rights and add them to appropriate roles on MSSQL (%server_name%\security\logins in the left window in MSSQL Server Management Studio - Object Explorer)

For a little easier management,

1) Create a group in Active Directory (call it whatever you want).

2) Add the users that need access to this application to this group.

3) Under Security --> Logins in SQL Server Management Studio, add the new AD group as a user and assign it to the appropriate permissions that it will need to run the application.

Once this is complete, you will only need to add additional users to the group in AD and you will not have to putz around with SQL Server permissions everytime you need to add a new user.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi

As i told i've not worked on SQL ever before.

I did the following steps:

In Active Directory i created a group and added all the users to the group.

Then i went to SQL Server 2005 Management Studio

In left pane i added a new login under security and searched for the group that i made in active directory.

In user mapping i have choosen my database and checked db_datareader and db_datawriter under roles

In Status its already allow to connect to database and login is enabled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But still my new client cannot connect ODBC to SQL [:(]

Hi

As i told i've not worked on SQL ever before.

I did the following steps:

In Active Directory i created a group and added all the users to the group.

Then i went to SQL Server 2005 Management Studio

In left pane i added a new login under security and searched for the group that i made in active directory.

In user mapping i have choosen my database and checked db_datareader and db_datawriter under roles

In Status its already allow to connect to database and login is enabled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But still my new client cannot connect ODBC to SQL [:(]

Make sure the user logged off the PC and back on after being added to the group in AD. If that doesn't resolve the issue, try temporarily assigning the AD group in SQL Server db_owner rights. Other than that, it should be working just fine. Make sure the ODBC connection's default database is the database the AD group has permissions to.

Make sure the user logged off the PC and back on after being added to the group in AD. If that doesn't resolve the issue, try temporarily assigning the AD group in SQL Server db_owner rights. Other than that, it should be working just fine. Make sure the ODBC connection's default database is the database the AD group has permissions to.

Problem Solved :D

What i did is just on my database server, i made my clients member of a group called MSSQL2005Users

and now everything is working fine.

Thanks alot for all who helped

Love you sadikhov.

Bye