5 replies to this topic

#1 Cisco_Designer

Cisco_Designer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:52 AM

Dears,

I am preparing myself for Cvoice labs and I do need any virtual PSTN and PBX to simulate the real scenarios and to get all benefits from Cvoice labs.

Thank you,

#2 nagen

nagen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:27 AM

Dears,

I am preparing myself for Cvoice labs and I do need any virtual PSTN and PBX to simulate the real scenarios and to get all benefits from Cvoice labs.

Thank you,

Hi,
I don't think there is any software application to simulate PSTN and PBX. PSTN & PBXs are TDM base. There is no way to simulate actual FXS and FXO ports. But there is a solution you can use cisco routers to simulate PSTN and PBXs. You can simulate CCS, CAS, E&M, FXS, FXO and many more scenarios in a lab enviornment. You can learn a lot more from PSTN and PBX perspective. For that you need a couple of extra routers and VWICs and VICs. Yea it is expensive but its gives real hands-on experience. You can make your own customize dial plans. You can understand how to bridge gap between IP and traditional old telephony networks.
Regards,

#3 Cisco_Designer

Cisco_Designer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

Dears,

Thank you,

Hi,
I don't think there is any software application to simulate PSTN and PBX. PSTN & PBXs are TDM base. There is no way to simulate actual FXS and FXO ports. But there is a solution you can use cisco routers to simulate PSTN and PBXs. You can simulate CCS, CAS, E&M, FXS, FXO and many more scenarios in a lab enviornment. You can learn a lot more from PSTN and PBX perspective. For that you need a couple of extra routers and VWICs and VICs. Yea it is expensive but its gives real hands-on experience. You can make your own customize dial plans. You can understand how to bridge gap between IP and traditional old telephony networks.
Regards,

Dear nagen, good day
Thank you for your feedback and fast response.

In fact I have two Cisco routers have the following:
1-Cisco Router 2610XM.
2-Cisco Router 2800 series contains these cards:
a.2x FXOs
b.2xFXSs
c.1xE1
d.2xFE built-in

So, if you have any design to build a dial peer to do this part I really do appreciate.
Thank you,

#4 kironline

kironline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:53 AM

You can connect both E1's with a x-cable, register first gateway with CCM and setup 2nd gateway as PSTN (H323 gateway). I have similar setup at home but i am not finding time to complete this lab.

#5 nagen

nagen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:45 AM

PSTN Simulation
you have enough gear, 2800 series are good ISR routers for voice. First start just connecting two routers back-to-back style with cross over cable (you can make one in home lab). Define switch type lets say qsig, then framing, line code, clock source, pri groups, user side, network side. (mean while forget about IP networks). Here is one basic sample config, see how direct-indward-dial works, try some show and debug commands show isdn status, debug q931and q921 to see call set up signaling stuff.
(ISDN PRI Back To Back Configuration_Pots Dial-Peers)
USER SIDE CONFIGURATION
------------------------------
R1_3640#sh run
!
isdn switch-type primary-qsig
!
controller T1 1/0
framing esf
linecode b8zs
pri-group timeslots 1-4,24
!
interface Serial1/0:23
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
isdn incoming-voice voice
no cdp enable
!
voice-port 1/0:23
!
voice-port 3/0/0
!
dial-peer voice 1111 pots
destination-pattern 1111
port 3/0/0
!
dial-peer voice 2222 pots
destination-pattern 2222
direct-inward-dial
port 1/0:23
forward-digits all
----------------------------
NETWORK SIDE CONFIGURATION
-------------------------------
R2_3725#sh run
!
!
controller T1 1/0
framing esf
clock source internal
linecode b8zs
pri-group timeslots 1-4,24
!
interface Serial1/0:23
no ip address
isdn protocol-emulate network
isdn incoming-voice voice
no cdp enable
!
voice-port 1/0:23
!
voice-port 2/0/0
!
dial-peer voice 2222 pots
destination-pattern 2222
port 2/0/0
!
dial-peer voice 1111 pots
destination-pattern 1111
direct-inward-dial
port 1/0:23
forward-digits all
-----------------------

#6 tunerX

tunerX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:05 AM

You pretty much just need two routers to make a back to back connection. I like to have a third router with two T1 or E1 connections, I set this up as the PSTN switch and configure it as a tandem switch. I also use my home telephone line, but I do have a TELTONE analog line simulator and Vconsole ISDN simulator. You might be able to find them cheap on Ebay. I bought mine back in the day when CCIE R&S still had ISDN PRI/BRI dial technologies and FXS port setup in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users