Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cisco_Designer

Looking for PSTN and PBX simulator.

6 posts in this topic

Dears,

I am preparing myself for Cvoice labs and I do need any virtual PSTN and PBX to simulate the real scenarios and to get all benefits from Cvoice labs.

Thank you,

Dears,

I am preparing myself for Cvoice labs and I do need any virtual PSTN and PBX to simulate the real scenarios and to get all benefits from Cvoice labs.

Thank you,

Hi,

I don't think there is any software application to simulate PSTN and PBX. PSTN & PBXs are TDM base. There is no way to simulate actual FXS and FXO ports. But there is a solution you can use cisco routers to simulate PSTN and PBXs. You can simulate CCS, CAS, E&M, FXS, FXO and many more scenarios in a lab enviornment. You can learn a lot more from PSTN and PBX perspective. For that you need a couple of extra routers and VWICs and VICs. Yea it is expensive but its gives real hands-on experience. You can make your own customize dial plans. You can understand how to bridge gap between IP and traditional old telephony networks.

Regards,

Dears,

Thank you,

Hi,

I don't think there is any software application to simulate PSTN and PBX. PSTN & PBXs are TDM base. There is no way to simulate actual FXS and FXO ports. But there is a solution you can use cisco routers to simulate PSTN and PBXs. You can simulate CCS, CAS, E&M, FXS, FXO and many more scenarios in a lab enviornment. You can learn a lot more from PSTN and PBX perspective. For that you need a couple of extra routers and VWICs and VICs. Yea it is expensive but its gives real hands-on experience. You can make your own customize dial plans. You can understand how to bridge gap between IP and traditional old telephony networks.

Regards,

Dear nagen, good day

Thank you for your feedback and fast response.

In fact I have two Cisco routers have the following:

1-Cisco Router 2610XM.

2-Cisco Router 2800 series contains these cards:

a.2x FXOs

b.2xFXSs

c.1xE1

d.2xFE built-in

So, if you have any design to build a dial peer to do this part I really do appreciate.

Thank you,

You can connect both E1's with a x-cable, register first gateway with CCM and setup 2nd gateway as PSTN (H323 gateway). I have similar setup at home but i am not finding time to complete this lab.

PSTN Simulation

you have enough gear, 2800 series are good ISR routers for voice. First start just connecting two routers back-to-back style with cross over cable (you can make one in home lab). Define switch type lets say qsig, then framing, line code, clock source, pri groups, user side, network side. (mean while forget about IP networks). Here is one basic sample config, see how direct-indward-dial works, try some show and debug commands show isdn status, debug q931and q921 to see call set up signaling stuff.

(ISDN PRI Back To Back Configuration_Pots Dial-Peers)

USER SIDE CONFIGURATION

------------------------------

R1_3640#sh run

!

isdn switch-type primary-qsig

!

controller T1 1/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-4,24

!

interface Serial1/0:23

no ip address

encapsulation hdlc

isdn incoming-voice voice

no cdp enable

!

voice-port 1/0:23

!

voice-port 3/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 1111 pots

destination-pattern 1111

port 3/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 2222 pots

destination-pattern 2222

direct-inward-dial

port 1/0:23

forward-digits all

----------------------------

NETWORK SIDE CONFIGURATION

-------------------------------

R2_3725#sh run

!

!

controller T1 1/0

framing esf

clock source internal

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-4,24

!

interface Serial1/0:23

no ip address

isdn protocol-emulate network

isdn incoming-voice voice

no cdp enable

!

voice-port 1/0:23

!

voice-port 2/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 2222 pots

destination-pattern 2222

port 2/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 1111 pots

destination-pattern 1111

direct-inward-dial

port 1/0:23

forward-digits all

-----------------------

You pretty much just need two routers to make a back to back connection. I like to have a third router with two T1 or E1 connections, I set this up as the PSTN switch and configure it as a tandem switch. I also use my home telephone line, but I do have a TELTONE analog line simulator and Vconsole ISDN simulator. You might be able to find them cheap on Ebay. I bought mine back in the day when CCIE R&S still had ISDN PRI/BRI dial technologies and FXS port setup in it.