Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
Andy_Capp

Problem with Linksys WAP54g

Hi all

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but I need help from someone who knows

I have a Linksys WAP54g with no Version number on the label so I am assuming that it's version 1 (Linksys seem to have support on tehir site for version 2 and 3 only)

If I connect direct to a PC with a crossover cable and use the setup wizard I found on the net I cannot get "inside" to set up anything and this seems to be wrong to me.

If I connect it to a Cisco 878 Router with default ip 10.10.10.0 via any fastethernet port and with NO OTHER CONNECTIONS whatsoever, when I check the properties of my wifi card I find that it has picked up a 10.10.10.x ip by DHCP and that I can telnet into 10.10.10.1 and use CLI to make configuration adjustments.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-4D-02-E5-7F

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 02:23:21

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 04:23:21

So far I have tried to run the setup wizard on 3 of my PC's with no success. I don't have the Original CD since it is somewhere at my sisters house in another country .. I downloaded the setup wizard from Linksys.

When I connect the Linksys to a NIC onto another PC, one that has minimal program installations on it, The ipconfig /all results for both PC's are shown below

This is the config for the Linksys connected NIC when no other router connected.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : none-31febcc95d

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-1C-0D-23-5E

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.156.25

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

This is the wireless card on my other PC

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : andy-435e7e1556

Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-4D-02-E5-7F

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.115.134

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-C8-0E-59

What I can see from this is the fact that the access point appears to be working in some sort of transparent mode and I am not able to get inside to arrange what I want to do ..

Is this normal ?

Is there another setup wizard that I should be using ?

Can anyone help ?

Do we have any experts out there :lol:

all help gratefully recieved.

Connect the router directly to a pc, open a web browser and type 192.168.1.245. This is the default ip for your router. After that do whatever changes you want to do. :)

Connect the router directly to a pc, open a web browser and type 192.168.1.245. This is the default ip for your router. After that do whatever changes you want to do. :)

Thanks for answering ..

I had already tried that along with holding the reset button pushed in until I lost connection and everything reset itself. Sorry it was 3 in the morning and I forgot to mention that part.

I also tried a prog that tries to ping addresses to see if something responds .. but it looked like a long job with only 255 addresses each time

I have the same router too and when bought had a 100mb connection, now even with rom update still works in 10mb,

so set your pc with 10mb will be fine. :)

I have the same router too and when bought had a 100mb connection, now even with rom update still works in 10mb,

That is something I never thought of .. I'll give it a try tonight when I get back home and report back.

Thx

That is something I never thought of .. I'll give it a try tonight when I get back home and report back.

Thx

That didn't work either .. which didn't really surprise me since I am getting a connection and IP allocation when the access point is on it's own and another when it's on the cisco router

without the Cisco router I am getting an IP of 169.254.x.x and limited connection

with the Cisco router I am getting an IP of 10.10.10.2 on my wireless connection and 10.10.10.3 on my NIC

I have now added a 5 port EFAH05W 10/100 hub into the network too.

Do I need Internet Connectivity to do this ?? I haven't connected through to my ADSL router because I am working without firewalls on the PC I am now using to try and get inside the access point.

Is there something that I am missing ?

Is it possible that this access point doesn't work the way I am thinking .. that it doesn't have an internal webpage like more modern routers I am used to handling ?

I have the mac address .. how can I find the IP that matches it .. are there any tricks ..

I think I am starting to grab at straws now ..

Ok .. I'm in .. problem solved

Here's the bit that you need to spend hours, digging up, on the net ..

RESET the WAP54g to manufacturer's settings so you know where the IP is (192.168.1.245 255.255.255.0). This will of course delete all previous configurations

set your PC NIC to static IP of 192.168.1.x where x is not 0, 245 or 255

set gateway to 192.168.1.245

you connect your WAP54g to your PC using a crossover cable

open your browser and write 192.168.1.245

when the password window opens leave the name blank and give the password admin.

you'll be rewarded with the page where you can make the changes in configuration

as a point of note the setup wizard still doesn't connect .. but at least I can get in now with Internet Explorer

Edited by Andy_Capp
clarified instructions