Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pawloski11

The Best Wireless Router

Hi!

Usualy we call wireless router either wireless-gateway or enterprise wireless-gateway. note that you will never use wireless technology as core layer.(don't confuse this with satelite comunication). and we just use wireless technology in Distribution layer if all the other way are too expensive or impossible(either logicly or by law).

Wireless is designed for just access layer.

if you have money i think cisco is the best. but linksys and level1 are good too. but if you can don't waste your money and not paying cisco. cisco is really great device.

;) Cisco wont pay me for this

I would suggest one of the several LinkSys models available. They were recently purchaesd by Cisco who set the standard in the router world. Plus you'll prolly have much better support coming from a Cisco owned company.

Your right! No one can Match cisco support!

FOr Home use I use all LINKSYS. ROUTER, Bridge and Access Point.

AT work we have CISCO and WILAN for wireless. They work great!

SInce cisco has taken over LINKSYS I noticed the router updates have been excellent! Great security and features! Awesome!

Guest jackattack

CISCO routers are well known and have a array of features that you can play with. I spent some time researching which router i should get for my home network and i decided on the Linksys wireless WRT54G router. It works great and i would recommend it.

Hi!

when comparing the cost sure linksys is better. but under heavy traffic just cisco works. but in home we don't have heavy traffic

Guest train32

I have also just installed a LinkSys 54G wireless router. The additional feature sets that comes with this router, and the price, compared with the Cisco ADSL routers is what influenced my decision for use in a home enviroment.

If you don't really need 802.11g, you can try Compex SKW811 kit (Compex NP16A 802.11b wireless router + Compex WLU11A 802.11b USB adapter) which cost about 100 bucks even cheaper. If you would rather go for 802.11g standard, a 3com router will be good. The suggestions are based on the assumption that your cable modem supports an ethernet connection.

3Com is for me. Linksys wireless is pathetic. I know it's under cisco now, hopefully it improved.

I use the Linksys 54G wireless router and I think it's great. Under 80$ and installs in less than 15 minutes. Good speed, good range, adequte security and ease of use :)

There is no question that for ease of setup and reliability Linksys is the way to go. They're the market leader for a reason, their stuff works. For commercial application the choices get alot more complicated. Certainly Cisco is an industry leader but they're wireless gear (Aironet) has come under alot of criticism. You have decide for yourself about scalability, security, authentication, etc., etc. Cisco makes their AP's with the brains at the AP level, other vendors go with a more centralized approach, putting the intellegence at a server level and leaving the AP's more like a thin client. Both arguments have merit and you have to weigh for yourself which one is right for your particular needs.

Yapipo

MCSE, CCNP, WLANFE

I remember coming across an article recently (past 2 weeks) that was describing how one of the top companies just came out with a version that uses mutliple channels for 802.11g, getting above 100Mbs (faster than most wired lans) can't remember for the life of me who's doing it though...

Probably Netgear. They have achieved 108MBps but the deal is you have to buy their router and their pc cards or you only get 54MBps. Would be great but my laptop has a built-in wireless NIC.

I guess I'd have to fall in line with the rest of the group, the Linksys is good for several reasons. I agree that being owned by Cisco is a good thing for them but they did make some changes to the web GUI on their new routers and I personally don't like it as much. The Linksys have the same delay when you enter data that the Aironets have had for some time. The old Linksys routers would update almost immediatly and new ones take several seconds (up to 30!!) to update. It's not a big deal given that most times you only set them up once and they work from there but if your someone like myself that sets up alot these, it can be a pain. The other advantage to the Linksys is that they allow things like vpn tunneling on by default where some other vendors have the capapbility but for some unknown reason turn it off by default. GO LINKSYS, cheap, stable and it plain works!!!

Yapipo

MCSE, CCNP, WLANFE

HeeHee.. it's interesting, Linksys has the popular vote on router here, but Orinoco Gold's hold the standard with regards to adapters...

Sheesh, suppose Cisco and Linksys can maybe meet for lunch and get long?!?! :P

:lol:

Guest qampot

Cisco for production environments.

For home, I prefer Netgear. I have had issues with Linksys's firmware revisions on several routers. I chased one problem for days until I moved my firmware revision back one and that cleared the problem. This killed me and really pissed me off that they would release a rev as final without thoroughly testing it. Noone could play online games who had Adsl with that rev. I switched to Netgear and have been pleased with usability, performance and configurability.

Guest jorolas
What do you think about wireless network and witch router is the best?

Hi guy.

I think that linksys is the best, as a lot of people as told you, but try it with different firmwares:

Read and download everything you need in:

http://www.olotwireless.net/

Really interesting page, and all you need about this amazing wireless router.

Enjoy it!!!

jorolas

definetly a linkSYS router is the best choice man. they offer great security features and are somewhat inexpensive these days. try one, i tihk you will be satisfied!!

Cisco definately for the office....Linksys for home. Netgear's 108 Mb is a nice idea, if you don't mind being tied to Netgear until your next hardware upgrade. Can't wait for 802.11n! What ever ya get, don't forget to secure it. You never know if that car in your parking lot or on your block is war driving....there are a lot of SSID's floating thru the air ;)

hi

i agree with cisco too\

but iheared about some other devices

such as:

cisco

link sys

senao

wave wireless

i read their catalog

senao have the best feature after cisco

after all

irecommended cisco

only

bye

:ph34r:

I find all this talk about throughput very funny. What good is faster wireless LAN speed if your WAN link is 764k DSL or even 2 mb cable. You'll take a 54mb or hybrid 108 mb bolt to the router and then take a slow walk across the internet. Your network is only as fast as you slowest link, unless you need the speed for LAN file sharing, anthing less than 802.11b will not even be noticed. You wasting your time and money with all these faster wireless products, the vendors do a nice job of marketing, trying to sell you on upgrading but the bottom line is until there is a gig speed internet, you'll never need these faster wireless protocols!!! Don't be duped.......

That's true, yapipo, but with .11g selling for about the same as .11b for the home market, why not give yourself the extra headroom? I do a lot of file transfers and streaming on my home network and my .11b AP is okay, but my next upgrade will include faster wireless. If I was only using it to get on the internet, then I would stick with what I have.