Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
kaotic562

Server 2008 AD exam

I just finished my CCNA and now I want some Microsoft exams. Im going for AD 70 640 exam to start. Is it hard? Are they just questions with multiple choice or does microsoft have any testlet or sim questions on their exams if so what are they like?

Currently there exist 2 versions of this exam. 70-640 (which is the standard version containing multiple choice and single choice questions with no simulations) and 83-640 (which is the new generation of MS exams including virtual labs and standard questions).

As far as I know, currently exam 83-640 is replaced by 70-640 only in Canada. According to feedback of others who took this exam, you can select both versions when registrating on the Prometric site.

83-640 insight:

Approximately 4 hours to complete; 2 labs with 60 minutes each to complete using a live connection to a virtual server where you have to complete a set of several unrelated tasks. The rest of the exam are standard multiple choice and single choice questions similar to exam 70-640.

Practical experience and builing up a home lab using simulations to prepare for this exam is a necessity to pass exam 83-640.

You might also check the consolidated passed 70-640 topic for feedback on this exam.

good luck & regards,

Charger

Edited by Chargerhawk

I already have a home lab with 3 servers using vmware also. Yes the 83 exam is probably going to be harder. When will the 83 be the new exam we are going to have to take? I should be going for the regular AD 70 640 in a month or 2 max.

Currently there exist 2 versions of this exam. 70-640 (which is the standard version containing multiple choice and single choice questions with no simulations) and 83-640 (which is the new generation of MS exams including virtual labs and standard questions).

As far as I know, currently exam 83-640 is replaced by 70-640 only in Canada. According to feedback of others who took this exam, you can select both versions when registrating on the Prometric site.

83-640 insight:

Approximately 4 hours to complete; 2 labs with 60 minutes each to complete using a live connection to a virtual server where you have to complete a set of several unrelated tasks. The rest of the exam are standard multiple choice and single choice questions similar to exam 70-640.

Practical experience and builing up a home lab using simulations to prepare for this exam is a necessity to pass exam 83-640.

You might also check the consolidated passed 70-640 topic for feedback on this exam.

good luck & regards,

Charger

There is currently no information on the exact date of the planned implementation of the new MS exam technology. However, rumours exist since the end of 2008 that all Server 2008 related exams might all be changed soon.

Exam 70-113 was an experiment to test the new technology, while exam 83-640 is the version that has been implemented and basically replaced 70-640. The reason for this is obvious: to finally stop the dumping machinery.

regards,

Charger

I for sure hear ya. Cisco exams were difficult as is. So far im acing the cheat sheets i have. I would rather have some excitement in the exam room instead of some boring exam....

There is currently no information on the exact date of the planned implementation of the new MS exam technology. However, rumours exist since the end of 2008 that all Server 2008 related exams might all be changed soon.

Exam 70-113 was an experiment to test the new technology, while exam 83-640 is the version that has been implemented and basically replaced 70-640. The reason for this is obvious: to finally stop the dumping machinery.

regards,

Charger

This exam is easy, if you actually do the work. Rather simple and straight-forward.

The QnA were tricky.. if I wasn't taking exams since 2004. =)

Pretty standard Prometric/MS exam that are easy to derive the answers from the choices.

It just actually depends on your knowledge. Experience, well, if you job entails everything about AD then you'd ace this exam. But for most of the people I know, they rather need to get literature, read it, practice it. But they won't ever be using it in their jobs.