Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
vishwadev

Browser Hijack

recently my browser was hijacked with home page changing to a weird site every time. I ran spybot and adware and a complete virus scan, detected some trojans/spyware which were removed.

But my browser does not seem to be completely fit, sometime when i click on certain valid link, it just do not open, invalid urls cause my browser to point to www.yupsearch.com.

A small search windows is integrated in the left side of my browser window from time to time and i hate that.

I am using IE6.02, is it possible to remove IE completely from my system and re-install it?

How can i remedy the above problems please....

thanks

recently my browser was hijacked with home page changing to a weird site every time. I ran spybot and adware and a complete virus scan, detected some trojans/spyware which were removed.

I think Spybot would be finding the spyware but would be unable to remove some of them.

suggestion:

is ur spyware remver Updated?

can try MS spyware.

A small search windows is integrated in the left side of my browser window from time to time and i hate that.

U can remove it temporarily by right clicking at menu and de-selecting the search bar from there.

I am using IE6.02, is it possible to remove IE completely from my system and re-install it?

u cant remove IE. but may try using any higher version if available.

1 advise:

use mozilla firefox U wont face these problems.

hi there try this great tool :

HijackThis is a tool, that lists all installed browser add-on, buttons, startup items and allows you to inspect, and optionally remove selected items. The program can create a backup of your original settings and also ignore selected items. Additional features include a simple list of all startup items, default start page, online updates and more. Intended for advanced users.

download it from here

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

this tool will help u ...

Kind Regards

-Ashraf :rolleyes:

Depending on the bug, it may have added itself to your registry, and even hijack this can't get rid of it. the "look to me" virus and its variations work like this. They also intergrate themselves into your system so that the only way to get rid of them is to boot from a CD and make the necessary changes. Good luck!

i ran spybot and ad-aware pro with the latest definition during the night, ran eTrust AV with the latest def. It detects a trojan as sysrestore.exe in windows32 under win xp. I think a system file sysrestore is infected and cannot be cured. My mediaplayer has stop working coz it was infected and removed by AV.

I have a pop up blocker but there are a few pop-up related to the hijacker showing...

I installed NoAdware, it detects tons of such stuff and removed them but still all these shit...

let me try HojackThis now..

does MS provide any patch for browser hijacking?

thanks

HijackThis will surely help you to find out the root cause....check the hosts file in ur system also for any useful information...

Or else

Download this file from here:

Getservice.zip ->

Extract the file to the c:\ drive. Then navigate to the c:\getservices and double-click on the getservices.bat file. A notepad will open up. Check the contents of the notepad you can easily find out the culprit..

hi

why u don't try the Microsoft Antispyware

u can restor all browser values to the defult

it is useful the same happened to me and i restored every thing to the defult try

Anas

I have corrected this problem using Bazooka......Its manual spy/adware removal, where you will have to boot PC in to safe mode and removed some registry....try it out.... another way is to scan PC with latest Norton AV 2005, it has removal for some spy/adwares.

skukade

Microsoft Antispyware can remove alot of coolwebsearch (browser hijacker) variants of spyware pretty effectively. Another manual but good method is using HijackThis and remove the dubious processes from there. Spywares are getting more irritating than viruses nowadays. And they are so hard to get rid of. Spybot and Adaware are no longer as useful as before :(

after too much scanning and spyware removal, my pc looks liek a wreck. I have two browsers IE and Netscape, netscape was doing fine and there is no hijacking. After the tweaks, netscape also is erratic now. I can browse some of the sitesm but i am unable to broswe others like http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/ (although i can access http://www.sadikhov.com home page)

IE is a total loss now....

I made a win xp repair but did not solve anything

I am considering reformatting....

after too much scanning and spyware removal, my pc looks liek a wreck. I have two browsers IE and Netscape, netscape was doing fine and there is no hijacking.

Fire-Fox is a must try. Pls tell wether this helped or not.

IE is a total loss now....

I made a win xp repair but did not solve anything

I am considering reformatting....

XP repair didnt over-write ny thing, so fresh installation is only option.

without reformatting U should take a systematic approch. of first removing all the things that r not usefull to U.

i just want to ask, did the suggestions on this thread worked? the topic starter hasn't replied yet..... :huh:

According to what vishwadev said he was consedring reformatting, so he must hav done that.

If ur windows is screwed up according to me formating is the fastest way to repair ur system.

repairing did not work

i was deprived of internet use at home for a few days

It was a very bad experience to use an IE

I reformatted, installed MS AntiSpyware, Installed F-secure AV. MS antispyware came forward witha few changes and suddenly i could only access a few of my ISP sites or websites hosted on my ISP servers (i could not access sadikhov also). I was about to have a fight with my isp on this issue then suddenly i thought about system restore - checkpoint where i installed ms anti-spyware..... now the system is working fine and i don't like ms antispyware.

I have switched browser, Mozilla Firefox is a very very good one, slightly better than netscape and far better than IE.

thanks

vishwadev ,

its glad to hear that ur pc is working fine now.

seems like u hav a bad experince with ms antivirus. :P

and ur right firefox is much much better then ie.

but during the few times i used ms anti-spyware beta, i must say i like the way it prevent homepage hijacking and prevent spywares. But i don't really know wat happend that prevented me from browsing some sites (almost all sites). I had blindly removed/fixed all that ms anitspyware detected or maybe my sttings were not right....

i think with the full version, it iwill be a nice product.

One more thing, F-Secure 2005 comes with its own ad-ware/spyware solution but it it almost identical to lavasoft -ad-aware. same design, same look, same way of working... exact copy, is there any copyright :-)

sometime during critical moments, we use all sort of tools trying to fix things... al this make things worst.

like i was using all the anti-spyware softwares that i got and all made some critical changes and finally i ended with a wreck. I am glad that my data was not damaged.

Internet explorer is victim of its own popularity and people are attacking its weaknesses from all the sides. With ZoneAlarm Pro, an updated AV, Spybot and Ad-aware, i thought i was the safest person on the net.... but i had a default security/privacy setting for IE and then voila doom!

ak2k,

thanx for correcting me,

I was completely unaware of this.

but during the few times i used ms anti-spyware beta, i must say i like the way it prevent homepage hijacking and prevent spywares.

It was nice tool but i didnt like its approch and it made my system slow.

u may also want to check new trojan attack on ms anti-spyware:

http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18160

Wrong. IE (many other windows components for that matter) can be completely stripped off from win2000/XP by using XPlite.

ak2k,

thanks for the link, seems to be nice and very useful tool and i was too unaware of this!

harsh,

The attack on ms antispyware shows the product's immaturity and flaws. But as it is still beta, it's a bit early to judge it. But me and u both don't like it already..:-)