Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ahmed Abdulla

What is the Best wireless product ?

26 posts in this topic

Dear Friends

I wish u r all in very good health ..... I want to take your opinion about something .. My company will buy wireless APs with its Controller .... I want to know how to arrange the following products from the best to the worest and if i want to give them marks from 100 , can you help me ???

The products are:

1)Motorla:

========>Access Points (AP300 & AP5181 & 5700AP)

========>Controller (WS2000)

2)HP

========>Access Points (HP ProCurve MSM422 & ProCurve MSM 320-R)

========>Controller (HP procurve MSM750 & HP procurve MSM730)

3)Aruba

========>Access Points (AP-121 & AP-120 & AP 60)

========>Controller (3400 -32- AOS-STD)

3)D-Link

========>Access Points (Dlink Dwl-3200AP & Dlink Dwl-3140AP & Dlink DWL-7700AP)

========>Controller (DWS-3024L & DSA-3600)

Thanks in advance

The WS2000 is a soho/workgroup controller and doesn’t belong in this list. A WS5100/RFS6000/RFS7000 does however.

Aruba/Motorola/Hp (Colubris) are all good stuff, but if you’re willing to shell out this kind of money don’t forget Cisco, 4400 controller/ AP1242/1131/1500. Meru is also worth considering.

I have no professional experience with D-link wireless gear, so I can’t comment directly, but D-link is D-link and you get what you pay for.

90__Aruba top of the line stuff, pricey, great interface, full auto radio configuration really works!

89__Cisco top of the line stuff, pricey, GUI is a little limited, you’ll have to use the CLI, full auto radio configuration can be problematic, although the 5.0 code is much better; beware that you might just be purchasing an expensive management interface for the WLAN.

88__Motorola good stuff, cheaper then Cisco or Aruba, personal favorite. Better bang for your buck, 3.0 code excellent, Symbol finally reversed engineered Cisco IOS.

85__Hp/Colubris top of the line stuff, pricey, hate the interface.

??__D-link, just came out, don’t know anyone who’s touched it.

Just my 2¢, hope this helps.

what about ruckus? from the trials we have done it's beaten avaya and cisco. it is however a bit more expensive. so as always it depends on what you're looking for really

Meru and SCA was a way to give large capacity to a WLAN with the restrictions of a/g, with the current level of 3rd gen n AP’s, its kinda pointless now.

Ruckus is great, however put it up against either a Moto 7131/650, on coverage alone it can cover over 300,000²/ft, haven’t seen another AP that can do that.

The original post was a year and a half old, please let sleeping dogs lie!

Edited by sirkozz

have you considered using aerohive - controller-less wifi solution

Most highlighted features of it:

Controller-less - simplified deployment, reduced cost

edge-based QoS - Provides QoS on the Edge side

Low Latency - since it doesnt have controllers, it improves application performance, less hardware - less data to traverse to

No single point of failure - higher reliability, no additional cost for redundancy

Integrated mesh and dynamic failover - most wifi setup, for AP to function as mesh, youd have controller, but with aerohive it's function is built-in

Integrated Firewall, Radius - more simplified deployment

no feature licenses

This is proven, and we use this in our office.

Modern LWAP’s typically don’t send STA frames to the controller for forwarding to the LAN, the major exception is Moto, and never ever seen the controller as a bottleneck. Sorry heard good things about Aerohive, and remember well when Devin Akin left Planet 3 and went to work for them, but won’t drink the marketing kool-aid.

Your post looks cut and pasted from Devin’s post when he left Planet3; Devin is that you???

No im not devin. i barely know that guy..

Im sure its kinda overhyped about aerohive's features. but it isnt just marketing nor eyecandy. it does what it says.. literally ..

of course the list was a copy paste from some site ive been reading at the time of my post and decided to post here to emphasize the beauty of it.

i dont work for aerohive, we just use it in our office and based on what ive experienced with it, it does fairly well compared to centralized AP with controller.

anyway, whose devin and whats planet 3?

Edited by pedenski

Devin Akin was one of the founders of Planet3, went to work for Aerohive; Planet3 is now CWNP.

Devin is Aerohive’s biggest supporter.

As to controller-less architecture, never seen the controllers as a problem, most now have multiple Gb ports and can support 1000’s of STA’s, and using advanced authentication schemes support roaming without having to re-authenticate, and allows much easier configuration for crossing subnet boundaries, like in MESH WLAN’s.

Aruba also has controller-less approach known as instant APs.

My recommendation is Aruba, it may be pricey but the overall flexibility in features as well as easiness of configuration makes its top of the line

Never ever go with Cisco, although i am a Cisco guyz,they just simply suck in Wireless, over-priced, full of bugs and restraints, hardware is also limited, only radio is better.

Second choice is to go with Moto..as it precedes in functionally over ruckus/meru and any other vendors..

Aruba???

No other comments???

How many vendors are you comfortable working with???

See the thing is that right now the best radio out there is a Moto AP650/7131; but when was the last time that you or I built a WLAN for just coverage; I can’t remember; so radios are immaterial in this discussion. That leaves just 2 things to judge an AP on; cost & features.

Most of the features available with Aruba you have to pay for and while typically cheaper than Cisco can quickly add up, making a typical deployment potentially expensive.

Not knocking Aruba, good stuff, just find it really trivial to just post a vendor without any supporting arguments!

BTW those of us in wireless from the old 900MHz days still look at Aruba gear the way you look at kids with their toys; someday there gonna grow up and start playing with real wireless gear; meaning that Aruba is wireless for those that do not have to know anything about 802.11 to deploy a WLAN; that’s Aruba’s marketing genius, and its exactly why you posted; “Aruba Networks... all the way smile.png

Edited by sirkozz

Android if you're talking wireless in general. HP though for computers! I agree @appydaddy!

Hi all

What about Telectonics i tested in more than 10 branches in my company it is very good in perfomance easy in configuring and very cheap

Thanks

BTW, why u do not have consideration abt Cisco's AP?

I think it is good too~~~

Yes, can't agree with you more... Cisco is really the most professional brand on Acess Point...

Cisco flex 7510 wlc's are slick, just deployed two of them with 10gb connections to 6506 with WC6708 10gb line cards. Hmmm Lovely!!!

Aruba???

No other comments???

How many vendors are you comfortable working with???

See the thing is that right now the best radio out there is a Moto AP650/7131; but when was the last time that you or I built a WLAN for just coverage; I can’t remember; so radios are immaterial in this discussion. That leaves just 2 things to judge an AP on; cost & features.

Most of the features available with Aruba you have to pay for and while typically cheaper than Cisco can quickly add up, making a typical deployment potentially expensive.

Not knocking Aruba, good stuff, just find it really trivial to just post a vendor without any supporting arguments!

BTW those of us in wireless from the old 900MHz days still look at Aruba gear the way you look at kids with their toys; someday there gonna grow up and start playing with real wireless gear; meaning that Aruba is wireless for those that do not have to know anything about 802.11 to deploy a WLAN; that’s Aruba’s marketing genius, and its exactly why you posted; “Aruba Networks... all the way smile.png

So you want comments ill give you comments

Lets do some analysis vs some brands.

Rukus

1-Aruba offers an integrated role based access control for wireless and wired users, what does rukus does?

As far i know Ruckus maps user groups to a WLAN, which is then mapped to a VLAN

and Policies are defined and enforced by external 3rd party devices

2-Aruba has integrated WIDS WIPS into the infraestructure, while as far i know rukus does basic rogue detection. Rukus does not automatically black list client, while aruba does, rukus needs manual intervention i think, even RUKUS admit themselft they are not that great in security.

3-Rukus does not offer VPN funtionality as far i know

4-Aruba offer an stateful firewall for network security and QOS, as far i know rukus need third party device for access control

5-Aruba provide per application QOS while rukus offer per SSID Qos we dont need more SSIDs like a vlan for voice, like i mention having more SSID does impact in the throughput of your WLAN... because of the managment overhead.

6-Aruba do derived roles in one SSID like a mention i can make rules depending on which group of AD you are i can give different access to Sales OU, or IT OU and so on

now lets talk about the redundancy

Aruba does offer L3 and L2 redundancy, L2 using VRRP and L3 using LMS and backup LMS

Rukus does not offer L3 redundancy as far i know.... which is handy when you got 2 contollers separated by a layer 3 boundary(which you get several scenarios like that)

Rukus APS when they are failing over to the secondary controller as far i know the ap needs to reboot, on aruba aps does not need to reboot or anything they automatically fail over to the secondary one at least on the layer 2 redundancy.

Rukus does not have vlan poolin as far i know... i can have on one SSID with 5 vlans mapped to it.. which will readuce the number of user per vlans which doing so restricts the size of the broadcast domain, there by limiting unnecessary traffic

Not to mention Aruba is on the leader Quadarnt on Gardner on wireless only which was on 2011 and wired and wireless on 2012. while rukus is still on Visionary quadrant....

Now Cisco

1-Cisco does not have application awareness, they use another vlan for voice, Aruba does not need another vlan for voice to give it priorization to the voice traffic, more SSID more traffic management so less thoguput...

2-All Aruba Aps support ARM which is the cleanair of cisco but what Cisco 600, 1040, 1140, 1250, 1260 lack Cisco CleanAir capability, so not all the models support it..

3-Cisco does not offer integrated architecture, cisco you would need many applances but in aruba you just need the controller:) so of course is cheaper.

4-Cisco does not does derived role funtion as far i know.

5-Aruba offers integrates IDS/IPS which can detect and automatically lock out rogue APs, ad-hoc networks, bridges, DoS attacks, man in the middle attacks, impersonation attacks, etc. It also have a Certified ICSA integrated firewall

6-I think just cisco 3500 offer spectrum analysis(as far i know) while aruba AP 923 105, 135 and 175 does offer this.

Not to mention the remote networking of Aruba which is AWSOME with their remote APS... Zero touch configuration which reduces the IT operation cost... you can bring VLANS from yhour coroporate to the remote site... over an ipsec tunnel and GRE tunnel, you can bring all the SSID with all the Enterprise security to the remote site, or mobille office or home office... it just great...

I can give you more points agains cisco if you want... or agains aerohive or don tknow agains meraki... Cant do a analsys agains all brands because i don tkow them all but vs the ones i know i can... or at least the one i got knowldge of it..

Just to start i will give you that

Anyways knowing all this WHY i would not go Aruba all the way?? For me Aruba is the best Wireless vendor.

Cheers

That list is kinda old now, Cisco is Cisco and would rather use anything but, I hate WLC’s; sorry non-IOS just sucks, Moto Wing5 rocks nothing better, Aruba right where it always is, the old Azaela stuff for outdoors is really nice almost as good as stuff like Firetide, and then everybody else.

Colubris (now HP) makes some of the best managed wireless products out there. The main advantage of Colubris over the others, like Cisco, is that only management traffic is sent between the AP and the controller. A lot of the other vendors (Cisco, 3Com in particular) send all traffic back to the controller for policy decisions, and then the traffic is sent back to the AP and then on to its destination. Very inefficient.

The Colubris managed APs are hybrid APs, in that they can run in stand-alone mode (login via a web browser to manage the access point, just like regular home-use products) or in managed mode (login to the controller to manage all the APs at once). Because they have all the processing power to run in stand-alone mode, they do all the policy decisions and routing locally. The controller just pushes out the profiles and the APs do the rest.

They also use OpenVPN to encrypt all communications between the controller and the MAPs.

The dual-radio MAPs also support WDS for creating wireless backbones between MAPs (even the 1-radio MAPs can be configured for WDS, but it's not recommended), and can be configured to use 1 radio as a sensor to detect rogue wireless signals.smile.png

That list is kinda old now, Cisco is Cisco and would rather use anything but, I hate WLC’s; sorry non-IOS just sucks, Moto Wing5 rocks nothing better, Aruba right where it always is, the old Azaela stuff for outdoors is really nice almost as good as stuff like Firetide, and then everybody else.

Why you dont like Wireless LAN Controllers???

They are great...

One of the features i like the most of aruba is they way they do the rules... with roles... and how can i do derived roles and assign a role with firewall rules to a user depending in which AD group he is, i actually dont care which ip address he has... or in which computer he logs in...

So with this i can permit or not access to internal servers to the users i want... or even apply QoS...

Not to mention the Remote Networking of them is awsome...

Cisco is Cisco you would say... but we have kicked Cisco Wifi from somecompanies here and also won when we are competing with cisco for a proyect for what it can do... :)

Colubris (now HP) makes some of the best managed wireless products out there. The main advantage of Colubris over the others, like Cisco, is that only management traffic is sent between the AP and the controller. A lot of the other vendors (Cisco, 3Com in particular) send all traffic back to the controller for policy decisions, and then the traffic is sent back to the AP and then on to its destination. Very inefficient.

The Colubris managed APs are hybrid APs, in that they can run in stand-alone mode (login via a web browser to manage the access point, just like regular home-use products) or in managed mode (login to the controller to manage all the APs at once). Because they have all the processing power to run in stand-alone mode, they do all the policy decisions and routing locally. The controller just pushes out the profiles and the APs do the rest.

They also use OpenVPN to encrypt all communications between the controller and the MAPs.

The dual-radio MAPs also support WDS for creating wireless backbones between MAPs (even the 1-radio MAPs can be configured for WDS, but it's not recommended), and can be configured to use 1 radio as a sensor to detect rogue wireless signals.smile.png

About that Aruba can do that also...you just need to set the AP in another mode and thats it...the APS will get the config downloaded to take firewall decistions...

About the traffic going back to the controller welll it depend on your infraestructure...

About the stand alone well Aruba got the Aruba Instant which is a controllerless solution... between all of them they build up a virtual controller...

With aruba you can also set one radio for detecting rogues and the other one for serving clients...

But i still prefer having APS on air monitor mode so they can scan in both bands...

What HP got is that is cheap... but wilth less features tho....

You missed the point Cisco WLC’s don’t run IOS, so you have to know a separate CLI from standard IOS. I do like controllers generally just hate Cisco controllers it’s all gui, [censored] that. As to drinking the Aruba kool-aid, sorry no thanx, see I work in the fortune500 realm and look at the way Aruba tries to be all things to all environments and think about the fact that I need only 2 things from a WLAN for it to work and for it to integrate into my existing LAN with all the security measures in place, think smart cards and key fobs. I don’t need any of those features typically that you speak of, heck I work in environments where it can take 2 days to get guest WLAN access. So from that perspective you can see how Aruba is just ok, it’s just on a level with Cisco for me, with Moto still at the top, sorry price and having the best radio on the market just wins out for me, see in the days of 900MHz I never could have dreamed of a radio like a 7131 being possible.

Good Luck!!!

Rukus is good but not the best...

With Aruba it just awsome what you get when you combine them with their switches... Everything is centralized, you can even do Zero Touch Switch provisiioning... just as you do with Instants APS or Remote APs biggrin.png Zero tocuhc meaning that you plug it, it download the config and autconfigure itself... Reducing your IT operational cost

Even more the same rule that you use for the 802.1x for wireless also works on the wired part, on teh vpn clients, what else you need? haha

Anyways just an opinion here laugh.png

Edited by NightShade