Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaniG

Does a Switch have one MAC Address or many MAC Addresses?

19 posts in this topic

I know that every ethernet port on a router has different MAC address.

What about a switch? Does a switch have one identical MAC address to all of its ethernet ports or every ethernet port in a switch has different MAC Address?

Thanks...

I know that every ethernet port on a router has different MAC address.

What about a switch? Does a switch have one identical MAC address to all of its ethernet ports or every ethernet port in a switch has different MAC Address?

Thanks...

One per interface, per vlan, there maybe other functions that require MACs.

<!--quoteo(post=843136:date=Jun 12 2009, 08:26 PM:name=martinlo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (martinlo @ Jun 12 2009, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=843136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One per interface, per vlan, there maybe other functions that require MACs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Martinlo, When I learned Spanning Tree Protocol, I saw that each Switch is identified by only one MAC Address, How is it possible?

Oh, The MAC address which is shown near every switch in STP questions is not its only one. This MAC Address is the lowest MAC it has of many, right?

Edited by Sunfish

The "only" mac adresse you refer is the respective adress of the port which is connected to the STP topology. So if you would put the cable into another port into the switch it would have another MAC related to STP.

Maybe its easier to understand when we talking about designated and blocked ports. In a failover trunk, or lets say an alternate link you have a designated Port at one end of the link and a blocked port at the other. How the STP decides which port used as DP and which as blocked. Answer, its doing the same as Root election, the respective ports are compared and the lower MAC adress wins and becomes the DP.

So in a STP topology you have several ports on switch that are "doing" STP and each single port has an own MAC adress that is considered when an election takes place.

<!--quoteo(post=843137:date=Jun 12 2009, 03:30 AM:name=DaniG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaniG @ Jun 12 2009, 03:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=843137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Martinlo, When I learned Spanning Tree Protocol, I saw that each Switch is identified by only one MAC Address, How is it possible?

Oh, The MAC address which is shown near every switch in STP questions is not its only one. This MAC Address is the lowest MAC it has of many, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Spanning Tree Protocol per Vlan 1 will use Vlan 1 MAC address. Vlan 1 is created by default, Right? There U Go, that is your switch MAC address used for STP.

are u study for CCNA?

Edited by Sunfish

I hope this will help...

post-220109-1244807293_thumb.jpg

Anyway I don't understand what was you Q. You don't understand Root Bridge electing process or what?

Edited by bella_

hmmm I have a question

why does switch need a mac address? after all it's going to build the mac table from the address it learns from others so whats the need for the MAC address?

does not make any sence ;)

When is connected with another L2 device frames originated by SW(BPDU,LLDP,etc) has to have a source MAC, right?

Am I wrong? :blink:

When is connected with another L2 device frames originated by SW(BPDU,LLDP,etc) has to have a source MAC, right?

Am I wrong? :blink:

dont think complicated please ... ;)

assume 2 pcs (PC1, PC2) are connected to the port f0/1 and f0/2 of SW01 and SW01 is connected to SW02 to it's port f0/8.

so in this case the SW02 will have 2 mac address right... from PC1 & PC2.

so then why does a switch needs to have a mac?

For the new model switches

They got 1 MAC on teh Board, while assigning virtual MACs to all the switch interfaces.

to check the Real mac, do sh int vlan 1

And for fun, do cmd sh interface

and check the MAC address of each interface, you will find them all in ascending order from the Physical switch MAC.

in response to first question .. yes all switches have a MAC address on EVERY Port

with regards question "why does switch need a mac address?"

think about it .. the switch creates its own MAC Table to be able to know where it has found routes and hosts

a switch by nature only sends out data to the port where the destination is to be found except when searching for a host (in which case it broadcasts)

Every hardware port is designated a unique MAC Address, whether it's on a complex multiport device or a simple NIC.

in response to first question .. yes all switches have a MAC address on EVERY Port

with regards question "why does switch need a mac address?"

think about it .. the switch creates its own MAC Table to be able to know where it has found routes and hosts

a switch by nature only sends out data to the port where the destination is to be found except when searching for a host (in which case it broadcasts)

Every hardware port is designated a unique MAC Address, whether it's on a complex multiport device or a simple NIC.

yup i'm agreed...every Ethernet or fast ethernet on the switch has its own Mac Address...

why does the switch needs a MAC address?...cause in order to communicate it's frame it has to know where the frame needs to be delivered and who was the deliverer...i hope that's right..hahahaha...

So, if 2 switches are connected to one another, with their own respective hosts, so,when the switch is building up its mac table, does it consider the mac addresses of the other switch or its own switch (ie mac addresses of every single switch ports)? If no, then why not and if yes, what's the need? I mean after all, they may just be connected to each other with just a single cable...I am confused...

There is a MAC on every interface. Sh inter fa0/1 | i bia should show you this, I think that's the command. Also, there is a base MAC address. If you do a sho ver you can see it there.

HTH

There are ethernet MAC address on each PORT

FE-Module manufacturers usually take a board with 8 or 12 or 24 or 48 ports and assign them Mac addresses in the same series with usually last bit varying

so if my mac address of one port is 001d.70cd.536a and i have four port FE-Module

i would have

on FE/ 001d.70cd.536b

on FE/ 001d.70cd.536c

on FE/ 001d.70cd.536e

For the new model switches

They got 1 MAC on teh Board, while assigning virtual MACs to all the switch interfaces.

to check the Real mac, do sh int vlan 1

And for fun, do cmd sh interface

and check the MAC address of each interface, you will find them all in ascending order from the Physical switch MAC.

Hi Dark Fiber ;)

Assume we have 2 Switches connected with 2 cables ( so we have a loop ) , and assume both of the has same Priority , and all ports are in VLAN 1 .

What will be each switch MAC Address keeping in mind we have in that case ( 2 MAC Addresses contributing in the PVSTP from Each Switch )

Glad to see you here &

Thanks for your feedback

Shinnawy ;)

So, if 2 switches are connected to one another, with their own respective hosts, so,when the switch is building up its mac table, does it consider the mac addresses of the other switch or its own switch (ie mac addresses of every single switch ports)? If no, then why not and if yes, what's the need? I mean after all, they may just be connected to each other with just a single cable...I am confused...

hi..

yes, i have the same question.

somebody help us ...plz !

answer that why sh mac-address-table doesn't show all of macs? -just show pc macs?-

:(