Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
pepe30

Is Possible to Registrar a MAC Address in a VPN

Hi Gurus of Networking, I have a question:

I have a connection VPN to my Branch Office, but some day the Network administrator send an e-mail and he tell me that I must be disconnected the VPN. But In that moment I don't use the VPN, Someone was coneccted to the VPN I think.

The Question is:

I want to know if exist a System or tecnology that when you access a VPN, the firewall (or equipment that manage the VPN) register the MAC address of the Station/PC that use the VPN?

For example If someone know my user/pass of my VPN can do anything in my branch Office, and the Network Administrator would think that I do it. When I'm not the person that use the VPN.

Thantk gurus for your suggestions or advice

Andres

Hi Gurus of Networking, I have a question:

I have a connection VPN to my Branch Office, but some day the Network administrator send an e-mail and he tell me that I must be disconnected the VPN. But In that moment I don't use the VPN, Someone was coneccted to the VPN I think.

The Question is:

I want to know if exist a System or tecnology that when you access a VPN, the firewall (or equipment that manage the VPN) register the MAC address of the Station/PC that use the VPN?

For example If someone know my user/pass of my VPN can do anything in my branch Office, and the Network Administrator would think that I do it. When I'm not the person that use the VPN.

Thantk gurus for your suggestions or advice

Andres

I suppose you re using a PPTP VPN type, right? If we're to speak about this type of VPN or even more: SSL, the base rule: the client receives an IP address from the VPN server. Now, some VPN servers, either it's PPTP or IPSEC offer you the possibility to configure a DHCP server for it. For these VPN Servers (PPTP - Windows Servers, IPSEC - different appliances, eg: Fortigate) you can make reservations based on your Mac address.

Except those, I doubt you can do a MAC binding VPN authentication. I can only suggest you to use strong passwords/change them regularly and few issues will "meet you" from now on.

Remember A MAC address is left at Local Data Link when you cross a Router to another Subnet or Network. Your Datalink address is deleted from your Data Payload. So you can't configure it through VPN in General Networking concepts. But Microsoft gives its VPN clients a Digital Certificate to identify a true Machine (PC) please read about Microsoft Policies.

Mac is that the operative software system utilized by Apple computers, however currently contains a newer version referred to as the Mac OS X. This software system is distinctive, however still has all the constraints the other operative software system has once it involves surf boarding round the web. For this reason, several Mac users ar turning to a Mac VPN. This is often a Virtual Private Network that produces it safe to travel onto the online without concern regarding intruders attempting to examine what you're doing or stealing any data from you.

Mac is that the operative software system utilized by Apple computers, however currently contains a newer version referred to as the Mac OS X. This software system is distinctive, however still has all the constraints the other operative software system has once it involves surf boarding round the web. For this reason, several Mac users ar turning to a Mac VPN. This is often a Virtual Private Network that produces it safe to travel onto the online without concern regarding intruders attempting to examine what you're doing or stealing any data from you.

Not really about apple macs! Its about MAC address's see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Mark

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2012 at 11:38 AM, alanwade said:

Mac is that the operative software system utilized by Apple computers, however currently contains a newer version referred to as the Mac OS X. This software system is distinctive, however still has all the constraints the other operative software system has once it involves surf boarding round the web. For this reason, several Mac users ear turning to a Mac VPN . This is often a Virtual Private Network that produces it safe to travel onto the online without concern regarding intruders attempting to examine what you're doing or stealing any data from you.

Thanks for sharing this helpful information.