Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
Patiot

From CCNA to CCIE

Hello Experts,

Yes it is true that CCIE is one of the hottest topics. I appreciate all the CCIE`s and the one who are aspiring to do that. We all know that it is hard.

Leaving all those negative things aside, please recommend and share your ideas about how a guy/girl with just a CCNA should proceed to get a CCIE and be a winner.

Please refrain from discouraging and using words like it is hard.

If you can share your ideas a lot of people will be befitted.

Thank you ,

Patiot

Hi

Read, Practice, Read, practice .... repeat until you can do 99% of all tasks without refering to documentation. There is no fast track anymore.

Mark

Yes I absolutely agree and appreciate your point. I am not looking for fast track all that is needed is how to start from CCNA and go forward. At first it seems that there are a tonne of books for an example if you see bgp you have a tonne of books and Halabi. It would not be worth while sitting on one topic and reading a topic for 2 months indeed ( which i did ). So we would expect a book reference and how to proceed .

Patiot

Yes I absolutely agree and appreciate your point. I am not looking for fast track all that is needed is how to start from CCNA and go forward. At first it seems that there are a tonne of books for an example if you see bgp you have a tonne of books and Halabi. It would not be worth while sitting on one topic and reading a topic for 2 months indeed ( which i did ). So we would expect a book reference and how to proceed .

Patiot

I know it sounds boring but reading one topic alone might take two months (easily). Learning to perform all the tasks associated with a technology might take another 1-2 months alone per technology (easily).

Some people made it look quick and easy but it never was "that" easy. It's the CCIE.

I would recommend that you go for your CCNP first. The CCIE is a long long journey and most of us need smaller goals to help keep us motivated. Once you complete your CCNP you should have a good foundation to build your knowledge on. CCIE takes everything you would have learned from the NP and goes deeper, much deeper.

But as the others says its a lot of reading. Most people start straight for labbing which is the wrong approach. "Learn the technologies!!!" as Narbik would say. Immerse yourself in the DocCD...you should know it like the back of your hand. For v4 you'll need to know how to configure a good portion of the blueprint from memory because time is very limited.

Good Luck on your journey!!

I have a different approach. Off course i respect and fully agree the that the traditional approach works. But that should not stop any one from employing their own approach to learning.

See i look at it like this. You learn to drive a car not but studying how the engine works or the transmission or the electronics. You just try your practical approach first and over time you start learning about how different things work in an engine.

I have seen, (and a lot of our members will attest to this) admins with no CCNA or CCNP and handling huge and complex networks, that in writing a CCIE should handle. These people never studied what a CCIE would study. They got to the point by applying the technologies.

So CCNA to CCIE is not impossible. By all means go for it. And use whatever approach suits you. You don't have to follow the rules, you don't have to follow anyone. Make your own plan of action. And be flexible to change whenever needs be.

I had Done My CCNA,CCNP and CCIE at Excel,Where i get all the Details and after i joined got a Very good Training on CCNA and CCNP.

For CCIE R & S Mr. Abid Khan is Excellent. he is a very good Trainer.

My Suggestion is just check the web site www.excelnet4u.com.

I have a different approach. Off course i respect and fully agree the that the traditional approach works. But that should not stop any one from employing their own approach to learning.

See i look at it like this. You learn to drive a car not but studying how the engine works or the transmission or the electronics. You just try your practical approach first and over time you start learning about how different things work in an engine.

I have seen, (and a lot of our members will attest to this) admins with no CCNA or CCNP and handling huge and complex networks, that in writing a CCIE should handle. These people never studied what a CCIE would study. They got to the point by applying the technologies.

So CCNA to CCIE is not impossible. By all means go for it. And use whatever approach suits you. You don't have to follow the rules, you don't have to follow anyone. Make your own plan of action. And be flexible to change whenever needs be.

WOOW yo surprise me Darklord....very few people(no CCNA or CCNP) i know of do like a CCIE do depends only on practise from varies projects they involved ...but almost an overwhelming numbers , man, road map CCNA to CCIE is inevitable .....Except for those of guys 130+ IQ or those lucky Engineers works on new technology every other day....almost every body else should follow the READ, PRACTICE , READ, PRACTICE...rules i reckone.

Cheers ,

Edited by lala272

WOOW yo surprise me Darklord....very few people(no CCNA or CCNP) i know of do like a CCIE do depends only on practise from varies projects they involved ...but almost an overwhelming numbers , man, road map CCNA to CCIE is inevitable .....Except for those of guys 130+ IQ or those lucky Engineers works on new technology every other day....almost every body else should follow the READ, PRACTICE , READ, PRACTICE...rules i reckone.

Cheers ,

Why does this surprise you? I know many guys who administer and design far bigger networks than I do who are CCNA's, hell, I'm only a CCNA and I have more certified guys working for me. I have a friend who has a outdated CCNA from maybe 10 years ago who technically advises a couple of CCIE's for a large enterprise (the man knows his stuff.) I have heard of a guy who worked for a Telco who went from CCNA to CCIE. I can't recall his name (as i didn't work for the Telco,) but I could find out. Fact is, regardless of certs, if you want to learn more you will. If you just want to cert, you'll cover the requirements. There is a hell of a difference between completing a cert and executing it.

Best,

Why does this surprise you? .... There is a hell of a difference between completing a cert and executing it.

Best,

That what surprise me 0wn3d....in a completely different angle and perception if yo see it . i mean when CCNA'S or no-certs comfortable on doing things what the CCIE supposed to do is coz that is the technology they used to do day to day(repetitively executing specific projects say it WAN ,SP or voice / security) .....but cert CCIE's got it the full package mostly not only project specific technologies but also the ability to see the big picture better (i believe that is the real CCIE's job all about )......i dont have problem with awesome engineers without certs , they can be a damn geniuses but i believe certs guide with a road map one can step with THEORY ,PRACTICE and Combined technologies these days ....

Anyways the Requester about this topic (From CCNA to CCIE)is i reckon looking for answers on how to climb the ladder all the way to CCIE...i have no concern if a newbie goes great length to cover Theory, Practice and the ability to perform on new Technonolgies with out cert or CCIE....but if some one starts this technology because an awesome Engineer with out cert perform better in a firm , so that He/She could do the same , that is the problem lies for an overwhelming numbers......

Cheers

Edited by lala272

It really depends on the individual, the motivation, and the amount of resources a person has to dedicate to the task.

A properly earned CCIE will be achieved by a person who actually learns the theory, understands the command systax to an almost immediate level of recollection, and finally is able to understand both the implications and the outcomes of one's own actions. This is what makes the expert.

Some CCIE's will tell you that the CCIE Written is "Only Theory" however... I will tell you to look at that exam very closely - while there is some theory - 90% of it is PRACTICAL. It amounts to a written CCIE Lab. That is what it is. Look a person in the eye if they tell you different.

That's why passing the CCIE Written serves little purpose unless one is lab-ready in the first place. After the exam the clock is ticking.

Any person who is methodically analyctical can do well in I.T. - with or without a certification. This is true and most of us know it to be true and have seen it many times.

A CCIE should be a bit of a scientist and should practice the "Scientific Method" to be more successful most of the time... versus "Luck". A perfect scientist will perform more perfectly and gain pristine experience.

However, study groups, forums, and even study aids can hurt and do hurt the majority of candidates - since we take the shortcut to earn the certification and we miss things along the way.

It's so common-place one might even say it is normal. That's sad.

So there is no reason to even take the CCNA to earn a CCIE to be truthful and correct. However, the stepping stones will help to build a firm foundation when used properly.

Everyone picks their own path.

Do CCNP and then CCIP, try to lab a technology every time you have read about it.

If you don't have real equipment, use dynamips/GNS3....it works just fine.

We tend to understand and renember theory better when we have hands-on.

Don't read 5 book without labbing...you won't be able to renember or truely understand.

.....Unless you have a incredible memory ...

Edited by a61971