119 replies to this topic

#1 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

I just received the official announcement from Global Knowledge - one of the Cisco Certified Learning Partners - that the new CCNP track will be officially announced today.

Beside the already known - i.e. leaked - information some of the key facts are as follows:

• The current BSCI, BCMSN, ONT and ISWC exams will be replaced by the ROUTE, SWITCH and TSHOOT exams
  • The length of the new exams will be increased to 120 minutes each
  • The ROUTE and SWITCH exams contain 52 questions each, the TSHOOT exam 53 questions
  • The price of the new exams will be increased up to $ 200.00 each
  • The last day to test for the old exams is July 31, 2010
  • The new ROUTE and SWITCH exams will be available on March 10, 2010
  • The new TSHOOT exam will be available on April 30, 2010
  • If you do not pass ISCW and ONT by July 31, 2010 you have to pass the new TSHOOT exam
The official announcement from Global Knowledge can be found HERE.

UPDATE #1:

FastLane and ExperTeach - the other 2 Certified Learning Partners - also updated their websites this morning [GMT+1] with the same information.
So we can indeed expect the announcement from Cisco later today, i.e. once the US wakes up.

UPDATE #2:

Cisco just updated their website with the new CCNP Certification curriculum. Of course, the CCIP Certification and CCDP Certification pages got updated as well.

Cisco also released a special CCNP Exam Combination Tool which you can use to determine which exams you have to pass in case you are in the middle of the track right now.

UPDATE #3:

Cisco has now also updated The Cisco Learning Network with lots of information about the new exams. Below a selection of the ones that I found to be most interesting:

1) Special Beta Offer for CCNP TSHOOT Exam:

This exam will initially be released as a beta exam. You can register and take the beta (#643-832) from February 16 through March 26, 2010. All details can be found HERE.

2) The Blueprints aka exam topics of the new exams (login required):

642-902 ROUTE Exam Topics (Blueprint)
642-813 SWITCH Exam Topics (Blueprint)
642-832 TSHOOT Exam Topics (Blueprint)

Please note that these links require you to login to The Cisco Learning Network to access the content. Cisco does not allow to simply copy and paste this content! So please refrain from doing so! Thanks for your kind understanding.

UPDATE #4:

The study materials for the new exams are not yet listed at Cisco Press but this should be only a matter of hours. However, based on the available information you can expect to see the following official books to be released very soon:

• CCNP ROUTE Exam Certification Guide, February 2010
  • CCNP SWITCH Exam Certification Guide, February 2010
  • CCNP TSHOOT Exam Certification Guide, February 2010
In addition there will be so-called Cert Kits containing Video, Flash Cards and Quick Reference Preparation Packs for each exam (expected around February - April) and finally the Official Self-Study Guides for each exam (expected around April - July).

So it seems that at least the Exam Certification Guides will be ready in time to prepare you for the new exams as soon as they are available.

UPDATE #5:

There is a nice 10 minutes presentation regarding the upcoming changes at Cisco TV. Make sure to check it out. In contains a lot of additional information.

CiscoPress just started to update their site with information regarding the upcoming CCNP certification books. In addition to the above mentioned materials they also plan to publish Portable Command Guides for each exam as before. No scheduled release dates yet but those should be added pretty soon.

UPDATE #6:

Cisco has re-released the FAQ regarding the new CCNP curriculum on their Certifications & Communities Online Support website.

There you can find a whopping 27 Instant Answers regarding the updated track. Almost every question you can think of gets answered. Make sure to check it out.

This thread got pinned and will be updated as new information becomes available.

Please refrain from opening new threads for this topic. All information regarding the new CCNP curriculum must be posted here! This thread will be monitored and cleaned up if necessary.

Regards,
Sunfish

Edited by Sunfish, 27 January 2010 - 03:25 AM.

#2 meigloo

meigloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

ROUTE (Routing) 5 Days + 7.5 hours ELT ...7,5h stand for ?
lets say i take BSCI these days ... if i want to take CCDP or CCNP, how long its available BSCI exam ?

Edited by Sunfish, 25 January 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#3 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

ROUTE (Routing) 5 Days + 7.5 hours ELT ...7,5h stand for ?

The official ROUTE and TSHOOT courses include several hours of e-learning lessons and demos that students can absorb at their own pace. So these e-learning materials supplement the standard 5-day classes. For the SWITCH course no e-learning material is included at this point of time.

Your second question got answered with the updates from Cisco's website.

#4 meigloo

meigloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

The official ROUTE and TSHOOT courses include several hours of e-learning lessons and demos that students can absorb at their own pace. So these e-learning materials supplement the standard 5-day classes. For the SWITCH course no e-learning material is included at this point of time.

Your second question got answered with the updates from Cisco's website.

ok ok
last day to take the exxam...
but how log is available...3years ?

#5 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

ok ok
last day to take the exxam...
but how log is available...3years ?

Available??? I assume you mean how long it remains valid and counts towards the CCNP, CCIP and CCDP certifications if you pass it before July 31, right?

That's exactly 3 years as usual.

#6 meigloo

meigloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

Available??? I assume you mean how long it remains valid and counts towards the CCNP, CCIP and CCDP certifications if you pass it before July 31, right?

That's exactly 3 years as usual.

valid:D
thanks, mate

#7 satish_rsk

satish_rsk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

Hai Sunfish.

I have completed 3 CCNP Papers. Still i have ONT to complete.

If i complete the exam before this July 31st, whether i need to follow Old CCIE Syllabus or i have to follow new one.

Thanks,
Satish.

Edited by Sunfish, 26 January 2010 - 12:40 AM.

#8 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

First of all, you have to pass the ONT exam by July 31, 2010. If you miss this date then you have to pass the new TSHOOT exam.

However, this does not have anything to do with the CCIE curriculum because there are no formal prerequisites for this exam. You can take the CCIE Written at any time without having any previous Cisco certification. If you pass the CCIE Written then you can tackle the CCIE Lab exam. Furthermore, the old CCIE syllabus is gone for good anyway and you have to follow the new v4.0 blueprint.

So completing your CCNP and going for the CCIE are (at least formally spoken) completely independent issues.

#9 meigloo

meigloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:01 AM

no longer IS-IS... but what about CCIP ? IS-IS should be there..

#10 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:56 AM

I think that Cisco is right to take IS-IS out of the CCNP exams but, of course, it is still heavily used in the ISP world so that the next revision of the CCIP exams should take care of it.

However, I seems that IS-IS might return through the back-door in a few year to replace the old spanning-tree protocols. Watch out for TRILL to enter the world...

#11 fmX

fmX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:43 AM

Can you copy-paste the new blueprint please? :)

#12 arakaci

arakaci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:50 AM

if i will pass old bsci and bcmsn before jule 31 2010 and tshoot after jule 31 2010 , will i obtain certificate ???

#13 Brad_Chicago

Brad_Chicago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:55 AM

arakaci, the Cisco website has the answer to that. http://ciscocert.cus...etail/a_id/5815

Does anyone know if any Learning Partners in Chicago will be offering these new courses? Whenever I contact Global Knowledge, they say "Oh, well, we always cancel those classes, so why not fly out to California to train!", which seems a bit shady to me..

#14 raghaa

raghaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Wow. This is a great update to some very old material?
Forget it. is-is , ont ? Gone. TSHOOTING is great .
My only questions are when will there be a study library for these new exams? Cisco press hasn't been updated yet. Any classes, etc.?
How long does Cisco usually take to get this type of material out when they make a major revision? Thanks Cisco.

#15 0wn3d

0wn3d

Cisco TAC Expert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi All,

If not already posted. The exam combination tool is at.

http://cisco.com/web...combo_tool.html

Much like the CCSP changes, this should answer most combination queries.

Best,

#16 Brad_Chicago

Brad_Chicago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

Wow. This is a great update to some very old material?
Forget it. is-is , ont ? Gone. TSHOOTING is great .
My only questions are when will there be a study library for these new exams? Cisco press hasn't been updated yet. Any classes, etc.?
How long does Cisco usually take to get this type of material out when they make a major revision? Thanks Cisco.

The Cisco Press site was updated much earlier today. The info is on their homepage, ciscopress.com, or via this direct link: http://www.ciscopres...il.asp?st=44734 Also, the information you are asking about regarding classes is available on Cisco's website. Yes, there will be classes, but they are not searchable right now. Find a Learning Partner in your area and view their site or contact them directly and they will have the information.

#17 martinlo

martinlo

V.I.P. Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2669 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

So, what are new topics , if any, on New CCNP ?

#18 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

Can you copy-paste the new blueprint please? :)

Unfortunately, the answer has to be a clear NO!

It is strictly prohibited by the rules of the Cisco Learning Network to simply copy any of their content, even quoting them is limited to 50 words at maximum. So you need to register to get access to the blueprints. Sorry, but this is beyond our control.

#19 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

So, what are new topics , if any, on New CCNP ?

First of all, there are some general changes. The introduction of the CCNA concentrations caused a heavy overlap, especially the topics of the ISCW are almost the same compared to the CCNA Security and several topics of the ONT exam are also part of the CCNA Voice and CCNA Wireless. So everyone expected that this will be straightened out:

• All topics covered in the respective CCNA concentrations were removed
  • Coverage of more complex routing and switching configurations
  • The software and hardware requirements were updated
If you look at the topics for each exam you will find that they sound pretty role-based. So it is difficult to compare them with the current exams where the list of exam topics was more technology-based. Based on what I heard so far some of the differences are as follows:

ROUTE versus BSCI

• Configuring EIGRP in more complex scenarios, including MPLS and VPN connections
  • Configuring OSPF - same as above, more complex configurations
  • Implementing Layer 3 path control solutions
  • MUCH more IPv6, including interoperation with IPv4
SWITCH versus BCMSN

• Basically no major changes here
Of course, there will be some adjustments to include some features like network monitoring, VACL, PACL, the latest WLAN devices, etc. but it looks more like fine-tuning of the current switching exam.

The increased length of 120 minutes for the new exams versus 90 minutes of the current ones might point to more complex scenarios in the new exams. However, we have to wait until the new exams are actulally available before making a final judgement. Many people hope that the new track will be easier but I strongly doubt this. We will see in a few weeks time...

#20 fmX

fmX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:17 AM

ROUTE versus BSCI
  • No BGP
  • No ISIS
  • No Multicast

SWITCH versus BCMSN
  • No STP (???)

#21 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:35 AM

ROUTE versus BSCI

• No BGP
  • No ISIS
  • No Multicast
SWITCH versus BCMSN
  • No STP (???)

Why on earth do you think that topics like BGP, Multicast or STP got deleted from the new exams???? That's complete nonsense!!!!

I strongly recommend you to read the official blueprints for each exam before planting such rumors! Links were provided above.

Only IS-IS got removed from the topics because it is almost non-existent in today's enterprise world. It is still very popular in the ISP world which might be reflected in the next revision of the CCIP certification.

Edited by Sunfish, 27 January 2010 - 02:37 AM.

#22 Sunfish

Sunfish

Ciscoholic

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:23 AM

Cisco has re-released the FAQ regarding the new CCNP curriculum on their Certifications & Communities Online Support website.

There you can find a whopping 27 Instant Answers regarding the updated track. Almost every question you can think of gets answered. Make sure to check it out.

#23 fmX

fmX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

I've checked new blueprints from the 1st post. And there isn't BGP, MC or STP.

#24 bugme

bugme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:14 AM

So I just passed BSCI..... if I now take ONT/ISCW before 31st July (and pass).... can i take SWITCH after 31st July and still get CCNP?

#25 AsianDub

AsianDub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hi,

As a person who has passed the BSCI, BCMSN and ONT and is currently studying for the ISCW, I find the new track a joke and feel it degrades the CCNP. I have a choice now to either continuing to study the ISCW or take the TSHOOT. I will choose to sit the ISCW. I think that the new track TSHOOT is pretty pointless because you are supposed to know the material in the original tracks enough to be able to troubleshoot scenarios with show and debug commands and also via lab scenarios.

I also think that I can benefit more from the current CCNP track as more technologies/protocols are covered. This will make it easier when going onto other certification tracks such as CCIP, CCNA voice, CCNA wireless etc. Taking IS-IS, multicast and iBGP out of the routing track is wrong IMO. I work for an ISP and we use these protocols within in our network. IS-IS is making a comeback as MPLS/GMPLS becomes more popular. Maybe it will be in the CCIP but having it in the CCNP course too makes sense. It is a routing protocol after all.

Anyway, just my 2 cents! :)

#26 fmX

fmX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

As a person who has passed the BSCI, BCMSN and ONT and is currently studying for the ISCW, I find the new track a joke and feel it degrades the CCNP. I have a choice now to either continuing to study the ISCW or take the TSHOOT. I will choose to sit the ISCW. I think that the new track TSHOOT is pretty pointless because you are supposed to know the material in the original tracks enough to be able to troubleshoot scenarios with show and debug commands and also via lab scenarios.

I also think that I can benefit more from the current CCNP track as more technologies/protocols are covered. This will make it easier when going onto other certification tracks such as CCIP, CCNA voice, CCNA wireless etc. Taking IS-IS, multicast and iBGP out of the routing track is wrong IMO. I work for an ISP and we use these protocols within in our network. IS-IS is making a comeback as MPLS/GMPLS becomes more popular. Maybe it will be in the CCIP but having it in the CCNP course too makes sense. It is a routing protocol after all.

Anyway, just my 2 cents! :)

I'm totally agree.

#27 gonzokilla

gonzokilla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

just to be clear, ill ask. i read the cisco faq and it states that i can take bsci, bcmsn, and tshoot and become ccnp certified but it doesn't have a expiration date setting next to it. it assume it is july. i guess im just trying to make sure i can still take these two tests and have it count towards my ccnp certification. im halfway into my studies for bsci so im just a little worried.

#28 kaxa

kaxa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

this will be helpfull
http://cisco.com/web...combo_tool.html

By the way, anybody knows the Tshoot beta exam code? cause on vue.com i cant find this exam.

Edited by kaxa, 27 January 2010 - 04:05 PM.

#29 Demcom

Demcom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hello Sunfish,
I need a suggestion from you, i want to start CCNP with BSCI and BCMSN now (before 31 Jul 2010) then later TSHOOT :ph34r: (will have 3 years time to complete).
Will this a good idea????

Waiting for the reply

Thanks in advance.....

#30 CertBuster

CertBuster

Cisco and MS Security

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

well, Guys, if you have all books, cbts and everything to clear CCNP. Why not do it? Why would you eait for higher exam fee and cost of new books? Go for it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users