Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sunfish

New CCNP curriculum v6 - ROUTE, SWITCH + TSHOOT

122 posts in this topic

I have completed CCNA exam(640-801).I will be able to follow new CCNP track??Is there any constraint for old CCNA holder????

It doesn't matter which version of the CCNA exam you passed. You simply need to have a valid CCNA certification. The last day to test for the old 640-801 CCNA exam was November 6, 2007 if I remember correctly.

So you can definitely use the upcoming ROUTE or SWITCH exam to recertify your CCNA and start your journey towards the CCNP if you passed your CCNA exam around mid or end of 2007.

Guys,

Am really very anxious for the new CCNP. Meanwhile, it would be my first time studying from cisco press official books, so i would like to ask about what shall i buy to start with route, then switch , then Tshoot. I will buy the whole package at once, but i donno what to buy and whether these books will come with video training, extra labs, hands on, CD's DVD's softwares...

Appreciate your help.

Thank You

It depends on your current knowledge level.

If you know already the basics of the advanced topics then you might want to go straight for the Official Cert Guides that will be published around next week. These books always include a test engine that you can use to check whether or not you are ready to go for the exam. Additionally, for the ROUTE and SWITCH exams Cisco Press already released their Cert Kits which include about 6 hours of videos each, flash cards and the Quick Reference Guides.

However, if you are currently at CCNA level then you might want to wait for the Foundation Learning Guides which will be released around May/June for the ROUTE and SWITCH exams. These books cover the basics and are designed to pick you up right after passing the CCNA. They have much more detailed explanations of the background and basic technologies but are not enough to pass the exam. The Official Cert Guides on the other hand cover everything you need to know for the exams but expect the reader to have a sound knowledge of the technologies already.

The full list of all released and upcoming Cisco Press materials can be found HERE.

There are some new pieces of information that you may find interesting:

Wendell Odom (I simply trust that everyone here knows him :)) took a closer look at the new ROUTE exam and published an article at networkworld:

The New ROUTE exam: More Difficult than the Old BSCI?

There is also an interview with Wendell Odom over at Cisco Press:

How Does Cisco's Overhaul of the CCNP Certification Affect CCNP Candidates?

Finally, the article by Kevin Wallace at networkworld that got published already last week:

The scoop on the New TSHOOT Course and Exam

Sunfish,

Thanks for the information i appreciate it. Regarding my knowledge i am CCNA & CCSP. Before heading into CCSP i studied a little bit of CCNP in Sybex collection for CCNP, then when i reached the IS-IS protocol i want to commit suicide. I've been into the field of cisco since 3 years and gaining lots of experience. Yet, i don't think i know a lot about CCNP neither its available protocols and t0pics. So what do u advise me to buy, and if possible from where to get them. I would like some videos + books + practice scenarios and so on.

I appreciate your help.

:rolleyes:

... then when i reached the IS-IS protocol i want to commit suicide.

So the good news for you is the fact that IS-IS is no longer a topic of the new ROUTE exam. :) IS-IS is completely gone for now. However, I think that IS-IS is not difficult at all, it is just different from the other routing protocols we typically use so that people have a difficult time to understand the concepts of IS-IS. Once you get over this hurdle it is really a great protocol! It appears to be some kind of human nature that we do not like anything that is different from what we are used to...

Talking about books you should take a look at the Official Cert Guides at Cisco Press. They are still listed for pre-order but shipping should start any time soon. If you need to start from the very basics, i.e. right at CCNA level, then you may want to wait for the Foundation Learning Series which will be published around May/June or so. Those books will pick you up right after passing your CCNA exam, while the Cert Guides assume that you know the basics already and are designed to bring you up to exam level.

I did not notice any announcements from well-known vendors like CBT Nuggets or TrainSignal regarding upcoming videos for the new exams. It is simply too early as they will need some time to review the changes and decide about any new products. Cisco Press already ships the new Cert Kits which include about 6 hours of videos for the ROUTE and SWITCH exam (TSHOOT is scheduled for end of March) but I have absolutely now idea about the quality of those products.

However, looking at the exam topics there seems to be almost no difference between the new SWITCH and the old BCMSN exam. Comparing the new ROUTE with the old BSCI exam they also cover a lot of the same topics. Main differences are that IS-IS and Multicast were replaced with MUCH more IPv6 stuff. So you can still go with the current vides series from TrainSignal or CBT Nuggets without missing too much, except the added IPv6 topics. Personally, I prefer Jeremy's videos even though he sometimes misses a few important details. The TrainSignal videos cover the topics in greater technical detail but I was always bored to death quickly whenever I tried to watch those. Jeremy's presentation skills are just sooo much better! He's awesome! I know that Internetworkexpert also released a CCNP Bootcamp series recently but do not know how they compare to the other products.

HTH

There are some new pieces of information that you may find interesting:

Wendell Odom (I simply trust that everyone here knows him :)) took a closer look at the new ROUTE exam and published an article at networkworld:

The New ROUTE exam: More Difficult than the Old BSCI?

There is also an interview with Wendell Odom over at Cisco Press:

How Does Cisco's Overhaul of the CCNP Certification Affect CCNP Candidates?

Finally, the article by Kevin Wallace at networkworld that got published already last week:

The scoop on the New TSHOOT Course and Exam

AWESOME BROTHER!

Even though I've subscribed to networkworld newsletter bombardment :D , I was so occupied gathering info&stuff about building up my Voice lab, it totally slipped away and here you consolidated the whole bunch... Really appreciate your exceptional services for this specific thread/subject.

Sunfish,

Thanks again for the help. I already have the CCNP Bootcamp, i will study from it and execlude the IS-IS & Multicast, Yet, which books shall i buy to accompany the bootcamp. Regarding the starting level i have some experience in Routing & Switching so i prefer to go for the certification guides. So which books do u advise me to go for?

Thank You :blush:

Simply start with the Official Cert Guides which are already available. So you can start right away.

If you have any problems to understand some advanced topics, e.g. route-maps, then you can start digging into the Cisco Universe which contains a lot of helpful stuff like the configuration guides or post your questions right here, of course. ;) Should you still feel the need for some detailed foundation learning stuff to fill in some gaps then you can still take a look at the Foundation Learning Series once it's available.

Sunfish

i am thankful for the help.

Can you post for me a safe link to buy the 3 books from.

thanks in advance.

:rolleyes:

Simply start with the Official Cert Guides which are already available. So you can start right away.

If you have any problems to understand some advanced topics, e.g. route-maps, then you can start digging into the Cisco Universe which contains a lot of helpful stuff like the configuration guides or post your questions right here, of course. ;) Should you still feel the need for some detailed foundation learning stuff to fill in some gaps then you can still take a look at the Foundation Learning Series once it's available.

Can you post for me a safe link to buy the 3 books from.

The best deal is probably the Official Certification Library which includes all 3 books at a discounted price. Scheduled to ship at the end of next week. On that page you will also find the links to each book under "Related Products" if you prefer to order them one by one. Depending on where you live you might be able to get the books even a bit cheaper at some online stores.

The new CCNP books are out (at least for the exam guide while it seems the Self-Study books will come out later).

Which ones do you recommend if anyone has to buy one? I would go with the Self-Study. Has anyone seen the new books?

I'm curious looking at ciscopress.com's table of contents of the books appear to be exactly as Wendell Odom had described

since he wrote the exam cert ROUTE book and there's an big emphasis on documenting your work. I'm reluctant to buy the

new books (not much of a choice) since I just know they are tons of bugs. I bought one CCNP quick guide and one page has

the illustration missing!

I just received the official announcement from Global Knowledge - one of the Cisco Certified Learning Partners - that the new CCNP track will be officially announced today.

Beside the already known - i.e. leaked - information some of the key facts are as follows:

•  
  • The current BSCI, BCMSN, ONT and ISWC exams will be replaced by the ROUTE, SWITCH and TSHOOT exams
  • The length of the new exams will be increased to 120 minutes each
  • The ROUTE and SWITCH exams contain 52 questions each, the TSHOOT exam 53 questions
  • The price of the new exams will be increased up to $ 200.00 each
  • The last day to test for the old exams is July 31, 2010
  • The new ROUTE and SWITCH exams will be available on March 10, 2010
  • The new TSHOOT exam will be available on April 30, 2010
  • If you do not pass ISCW and ONT by July 31, 2010 you have to pass the new TSHOOT exam

The official announcement from Global Knowledge can be found HERE.

UPDATE #1:

FastLane and ExperTeach - the other 2 Certified Learning Partners - also updated their websites this morning [GMT+1] with the same information.

So we can indeed expect the announcement from Cisco later today, i.e. once the US wakes up.

UPDATE #2:

Cisco just updated their website with the new CCNP Certification curriculum. Of course, the CCIP Certification and CCDP Certification pages got updated as well.

Cisco also released a special CCNP Exam Combination Tool which you can use to determine which exams you have to pass in case you are in the middle of the track right now.

UPDATE #3:

Cisco has now also updated The Cisco Learning Network with lots of information about the new exams. Below a selection of the ones that I found to be most interesting:

1) Special Beta Offer for CCNP TSHOOT Exam:

This exam will initially be released as a beta exam. You can register and take the beta (#643-832) from February 16 through March 26, 2010. All details can be found HERE.

2) The Blueprints aka exam topics of the new exams (login required):

642-902 ROUTE Exam Topics (Blueprint)

642-813 SWITCH Exam Topics (Blueprint)

642-832 TSHOOT Exam Topics (Blueprint)

Please note that these links require you to login to The Cisco Learning Network to access the content. Cisco does not allow to simply copy and paste this content! So please refrain from doing so! Thanks for your kind understanding.

UPDATE #4:

The study materials for the new exams are not yet listed at Cisco Press but this should be only a matter of hours. However, based on the available information you can expect to see the following official books to be released very soon:

•  
  • CCNP ROUTE Exam Certification Guide, February 2010
  • CCNP SWITCH Exam Certification Guide, February 2010
  • CCNP TSHOOT Exam Certification Guide, February 2010

In addition there will be so-called Cert Kits containing Video, Flash Cards and Quick Reference Preparation Packs for each exam (expected around February - April) and finally the Official Self-Study Guides for each exam (expected around April - July).

So it seems that at least the Exam Certification Guides will be ready in time to prepare you for the new exams as soon as they are available.

UPDATE #5:

There is a nice 10 minutes presentation regarding the upcoming changes at Cisco TV. Make sure to check it out. In contains a lot of additional information.

CiscoPress just started to update their site with information regarding the upcoming CCNP certification books. In addition to the above mentioned materials they also plan to publish Portable Command Guides for each exam as before. No scheduled release dates yet but those should be added pretty soon.

UPDATE #6:

Cisco has re-released the FAQ regarding the new CCNP curriculum on their Certifications & Communities Online Support website.

There you can find a whopping 27 Instant Answers regarding the updated track. Almost every question you can think of gets answered. Make sure to check it out.

This thread got pinned and will be updated as new information becomes available.

Please refrain from opening new threads for this topic. All information regarding the new CCNP curriculum must be posted here! This thread will be monitored and cleaned up if necessary.

Regards,

Sunfish

Hello,

I passed BSCI and BCMSN. Now I am preparing for TSHOOT.

But, on Cisco web site it is written that:

Path 3: Candidates substitute the new TSHOOT exam (or TSHOOT beta exam) for ISCW and ONT, passing three exams to complete CCNP certification. This is the recommended path for candidates who have not yet taken the ISCW or ONT courses or exams and will become the only available path after July 31,2010.

It means, that I must wait till July 31, to pass TSHOOT, not earlier?

It means, that I must wait till July 31, to pass TSHOOT, not earlier?

No, it simply means that you have to pass the TSHOOT exam if you do not complete your CCNP until July 31.

You can either go for the TSHOOT beta now (available until March 26) or wait for the final TSHOOT exam which is scheduled to go online on April 30.

No, it simply means that you have to pass the TSHOOT exam if you do not complete your CCNP until July 31.

You can either go for the TSHOOT beta now (available until March 26) or wait for the final TSHOOT exam which is scheduled to go online on April 30.

Many thanks for explanation!

I find the Self-Study to be more detailed since the Exam Cert guides have to focus on exam questions. I don't understand why the Exam Cert books and even the Video Mentor kits are out while the Self-Study will come out late Spring or Summer. What's your take on buying which series? Self Study Official Curriculum or the Exam Cert guide?

Q1) i have passed COMP exam. if i choose not to go for ONT and ISCW, then, do i only need to pass TSHOOT exam to complete my CCNP certification? (means only two exams to become a CCNP)

Q2) after my CCNP i have planned for CCSP(for which, first i need to pass IINS ). As TSHOOT will be available from 30th april. so in the mean time can i take IINS exam and do my TSHOOT afterward. is it ok??? or will it effect my certification path.

Q1) Yes, COMP + TSHOOT --> CCNP

Q2) You can pass exams of different certification tracks in any order you like. So yo can go for the IINS exam in the meantime if you like. No problem at all.

Hey Guys,

I gave my

1) CCNA in Feb 2006,

2) BCRAN in July 2007 (Remote Access Networks)

3) Building Converged Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks in June 2008

Now I am preparing for BSCI. I have been told by a colleague that I need to give my complete CCNP before July 2007 else my CCNA will expire and I will have to give all the papers again including BSCMSN. I have 3 years to finish/complete the certification track of CCNP after giving my first CCNP paper. Is that true?

I am planning to give BSCI next month and Tshoot probably in June.

Just wondering should I give Tshoot or ONT and ISCW............. any views on it?

Just a summary:

1) CCNA feb 2006

2) BCRAN, July 2007 (probably not valid for CCNP now)

3) BCMSN June 2008

4) BSCI Apr 2010

5) Tshoot June 2010 --> CCNP complete

Does this sound correct? any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,

Himanshu

Edited by himanshum

The short version: Passing BSCI and TSHOOT by June 2011 will complete your CCNP certification.

The detailed version:

You never need to complete a whole track to renew any certification. Passing any single exam will renew all your certifications that are at the same level or below.

So when you passed BCRAN and BCMSN the validity of your CCNA was reset to 3 years again. So your CCNA is currently valid until June 2011 and if you pass BSCI next month then it will be automatically extended to some date in April 2013.

The individual exams count for 3 years towards the corresponding certification(s). You passed BCMSN back in June 2008 so that it will count towards the CCNP certification until some date in June 2011.

Hence there is no need for your to rush! You can take either the BSCI exam until July or the new ROUTE exam and then complete your CCNP by passing the TSHOOT exam before June 2011. The TSHOOT exam is all about hands-on experience so that you definitely want to make sure that you practice all technologies and lab as much as you can before taking this exam.

ROUTE versus BSCI

• No BGP
  • No ISIS
  • No Multicast

SWITCH versus BCMSN

• No STP (???)

What? Every topic you listed is still in the new certifications.

I'm totally agree.

I agree as well, I have passed Routing & switching & was half way through to my ISCW but now have to change it & go for TSHOOT, although I need one exam to pass to become a CCNP but changing things over n over again is not a good idea specially for a Multi National Company like Cisco

How are the new exams as far as difficulty compared to the old exams? I guess it would be hard to compare unless one has taken both - duh.

really helpful info , thanks for sharing

hi ppl..

i passed my ccna a while back and got lazy. now that i am starting to study again for my ccnp, i have a question.

i know its a dummy question.. but i got bsci/bcmsn/iscw/ont books from somebody. the look pretty new. can i use these books to study for the ccnp exams? or do i have to buy new books again??

i guess the concepts are pretty similar.. any inputs?

thanks.

hi ppl..

i passed my ccna a while back and got lazy. now that i am starting to study again for my ccnp, i have a question.

i know its a dummy question.. but i got bsci/bcmsn/iscw/ont books from somebody. the look pretty new. can i use these books to study for the ccnp exams? or do i have to buy new books again??

i guess the concepts are pretty similar.. any inputs?

thanks.

Yes, you can use them. Concept is the same, there are only minor changes in concept. For example there no QoS in switching anymore and no IS-IS in routing, etc... If you want more details, look here

http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/ccnp-curriculum-update-route-switch-tshoot-exams/2010-02-17/

:D

please any one send to me < braincrap >; i hear no one pass this exame so i need your support

*** MODERATED *** We do not tolerate any requests for braindump materials!

Edited by Sunfish