#1 faisal.saleem

faisal.saleem

$ïιεη† ⊕pεrα†⊕r

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1244 posts
  • Interests:IT/Telcom

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:08 AM

Consider me a noob, i just wants to know the major differences between them. Regarding salary, job, future career, which is best?

#2 faisal.saleem

faisal.saleem

$ïιεη† ⊕pεrα†⊕r

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:19 AM

Just curious if anybody on the board have at least both certs?

#3 deansmith

deansmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:48 AM

I have both ITIL Foundation and PRINCE2 Practitioner, outside the USA this is the way to go.

+ ITIL is good for anyone working in IT support, change management etc
+ PRINCE2 only makes sense if you are involved in change projects.

Money wise PRINCE2 is the most beneficial for your job prospects.

You can do both exams on the cheap by self study *** Link removed *** We do not tolerate any kind of advertising! ***

Edited by Sunfish, 06 April 2010 - 01:02 AM.

#4 faisal.saleem

faisal.saleem

$ïιεη† ⊕pεrα†⊕r

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply :). Well i did not see yet any PRINCE2 certified ( here in pakistan) as well as any job opening for this position. But for PMP i am pretty sure it is a bit hot choice for IT people having +5 experience.
You meant to say ITIL is more specific on PMO department side in the company?

Edited by faisal.saleem, 06 April 2010 - 11:08 AM.

#5 deansmith

deansmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

I’m curious on the PMP jobs; from my experience it tends to be US based companies.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply :). Well i did not see yet any PRINCE2 certified ( here in pakistan) as well as any job opening for this position. But for PMP i am pretty sure it is a bit hot choice for IT people having +5 experience.
You meant to say ITIL is more specific on PMO department side in the company?

#6 eriakmoos

eriakmoos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

I think that PMP offers elaborated knowledge on the techniques that can be used for doing project management activities like Determining what declaration to use earned value technique for reporting on scope, time and cost. And it's very popular in US.

PMP Exam Software

Edited by eriakmoos, 01 August 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#7 Jay Dhingra

Jay Dhingra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

The two are different. PMP and PRINCE2 list the core competencies of an effective Project Manager; these range from communications management to quality management. What is useful about the PMBOK is that it identifies key skills involving human resource management and soft skills; this is something Prince2 does not go into.

While the PMP teaches the core competencies of an effective Project Manager, Prince2 teaches you how to undertake an effective project.

Prince2 integrates a lot of what is present in the PMP and presents it all as a methodology; a plan of how to undertake the project - from start to finish.

The beauty of Prince2 is that it can be applied to any project; and it is not a rigid methodology, it can be tailored to suit the parameters of the project.

Essentially, PMP teaches you what you need to know, Prince2 teaches you how to do it. If you have to make a choice, I'd say go for PRINCE2...but PMP is equally important. Go for both ;)

I did mine from Firebrand. Recommended. They're quick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users