Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
John Lockie

Lab Pics....

I would recommend starting your own CCIE 15 days or 30 days boot camp rather than just rack rentals.

This sounds quite fruitful to me.

1. Boot Camps for 15 days (refresher before lab) level very intense

2. Boot Camps for 1 month ( refresher before lab) level intense

3. 2 months boot camps

4. Rack Rentals for Students.

Ofcourse we need some good ccie trainer aswell

Hey MarkinManchester, thanks for the information. Sounds like you had quite an adventure.

Personally, I can assure you I would never dive without a lot more research. I would probably leverage one of our datacenters for this, but not without calculating cost per sq ft for utility. To me, the hardest thing to determine is how many clients one could get with such a service. The workbook vendors all have labs....but there is room for a cheaper guy I think.

You mention the web interface not being a big deal. I do agree, except in order to be competitive one would need to have a professional web portal. Personally, I see no use for this except to power on the equipment (or power cycle).

I want to raise an idea here though....because I agree about GNS3. What if somehow I could have hosted GNS3 that ties in to a layer 2 network....? First of all, would I be breaking GNU (I assume GNS is GNU) license to charge for such a thing? Secondly, would there be a market? Thirdly, would it be cheaper to run a hybrid lab vs. purely physical.....these are the things that make me wonder.

There is a good business model underneath all this talk.

Hi

I was thinking about co-loaction once and made some enquiries, the upshot was that a 42u rack with 20a was going to cost circa 750gbp per month. I would be possible to just about squeeze three pods into this but power then becomes an issue as insurge if all devices were powered a the same time would trip the power.

Even without the power issue it would be to costly at 250gbp pre rack pre month, the gns/dynamips thing would be good if it were not for the licence issue. Remember you need an IOS image for each virtual device which in theory you would have purchased, the cost of servers and provision of a decent switched environment would be high.

Then you have to compete with companies offering 30 days exclusive rack time for 800usd, very difficult to compete against US based companies as accomodation and utility power costs are very small.

The reallity is that you could make more money selling beany babies on ebay! remember that making a hobby horse into a business is not usually a successful business model especially where high levels of investment in equipment are required.

My Thoughts

Mark

P.S The web interface is easy just post details on http://www.freelancer.com/ and you would find someone to do it at a reasonable cost.

I am in US :)

I know guys doing 30 day for $400USD!

Yes, I wonder what Cisco would think about that IOS thing...LOL

The datacenters we use and that people I know use (for colo) in the west coast are charging per square foot....I don't think a 42U rack full would cut it. They won't allow that much power per square foot to be used. =O

Time for bed...been up all night (330am here)

Hey guys,

I was just thinking about GNS3 myself recently. So basically you can try to virtualize as many devices as you can, this would save power. Then, the only physical equipment would be L2 devices that is lacking in GNS3.

But as John said, I suppose there are IOS legal issues to be concerned about.

It would be nice to know if these CCIE bootcamp vendors are making any money at all with rack rentals.......

I would say that the likes of INE etc do make money as their rates are significantly higher, most others will make profit but its definately a long haul proposition. If a rack costs you £3K and your net is maybe £300 you can do the math.

However getting that level of business is difficult

Mark

However getting that level of business is difficult

Exactly...that is my only serious concern. This is always the section of any business plan where the designer takes a lot of "liberty". Doing the science to find out the potential business is next to impossible. Every business friend I have has told me their "business plan" never panned out the way they expected (edit: these are successful people, basically saying that they ended up doing something radically different than what they set out to do). So you can crunch numbers all day, but the base of any business is the ability to drive new business, new clients, marketing, and sales. Who cares what your costs are if you can't turn that in to sales? Sure it looks good on paper if I could book 12 hours a day 10 racks....but the EXECUTION of actually GETTING THEM BOOKED is what sets the men apart from the boys.

I would venture to say these guys all make money. Some of them are definately subsidizing their racks through other channels like workbooks, boot camps, and even professional services consulting.

Regarding GNS3 I was more concerned about GNU licensing. But I think the IOS issue that Manchester brought up is probably more of a liability than GNU. People make money off GNU open source licensing, such as Red Hat. So there is probably a decent loop hole for that, but I seriously doubt there is a loophole for providing remote access to virtual instances of REAL IOS. I am sure Cisco would shut that down in a flat second.

Edited by John Lockie

I am sure Cisco would shut that down in a flat second.

Having that in your business plan pretty much kills any chance to even get started. It is very valid though and if you get popular enough, Cisco will get you...

I guess our Utopian idea of hosting racks 24/7 is just about finished.... :blush:

^^^That is an awesome setup. I saw something similar on the Neogaf forums.

I've been contemplating building "Cistopia" my personnel CCIE/CCIE Voice lab. But at the moment my plans are to first complete my CCNA Voice (IIUC), CCDA and CCDP.

I'm probably going to build a nice desktop with 3 PCI slots for the quad nics. I'm debating between the AMD X6 vs. Intel 980/930. With the X6, I can buy a AM3 motherboard and upgrade to bulldozer. However, Intel's cpu performance even on the lower-end I7s is higher.

But I want to buy 4X 3560 (24 port 10/100). I'd like 3750 Switches, which I have access to at my job but they're pretty expensive.

For the routers, I'd like to have access to IOS 15.0 and up so I've been looking at the 19XX and 29XX and maybe a couple 2800 and 1800.

So I'd guess I'd be at the $10,000+ cost you gentlemen have been mentioning. But IF and big if Cisco one day updates their exams to support 15.0, GNS3 users may be SOL unless someone can update it to support it (switch support would be awesome too). Man, Cisco should just higher the project lead and charge users an okay arm and leg to legally practice labs and what not.

Attached is the current lab I'm using for CCNA Voice. I'm a network academy instructor.

post-217632-008009900 1279440948_thumb.jpg

post-217632-042472400 1279440958_thumb.jpg

Edited by spiderjericho

Hi guys

I'd like to introduse my sexy LAB :D

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

2 - 3560

2 - 3550

1 - Terminal Server 2511

2 - BB routers 2501

1 - FR 2522

2 - 2610x

1 - 2611x

3 - 1841

Edited by alvaneli

http://t.cn/RDf3WX2  我之前为考试做好了准备,我通过其他人的建议在这里找到了。这方面的信息可以说是非常全面的。我以前找到过其他的东西,但没有一个有全面的信息。我购买了210-250问题库,现在我已通过考试,我已经练习了90%的考题。