Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
faisal.saleem

CCIP Study material recommendations

Very nice list! :)

For BGP I would definitely add the following book:

Internet Routing Architectures, Second Edition, Sam Halabi, Cisco Press

Hi everyone,

I realized that most books I got for MPLS and VPN architectures are kinda... old. Volume 1 I got a version from 2001 and Volume II from 2003... Does anybody know if there is any more recent edition for these books?

Thanks in advance!

Well, there are quite a few things to consider so that there is no short answer that covers all aspects.

First of all, the major change at Sadikhov happened quite some time ago, i.e. back in February 2009 to be more specific. I recommend to take a look at the official statement of the admin. BTW, this link is also included in my signature. ;)

Secondly, using braindumps and/or disclosing actual exam content is illegal! There is absolutely not doubt about it. It's a fact!

Have you ever read the Cisco Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement? You have to accept and acknowledge this agreement prior to achieving any Cisco certification. Section 4.1 Candidate Conduct Policy clearly states that

You agree to adhere to such rules and agree not to engage in any action to subvert, or attempt to subvert, the examination process (“misconduct”) including but not limited to:

• Disseminating actual exam content by any means, including, but not limited to, web postings, formal or informal test preparation or discussion groups, chat rooms, reconstruction through memorization, study guides, or any other method.

• Seeking and/or obtaining unauthorized access to examination materials.

• [...]

If you violate any of these rules, the sanctions may include a "permanent ban on future Cisco examinations, and the cancellation of previously earned Cisco certifications" (section 4.2). So you'd better not take this agreement lightly even though I know that most people simply click "acknowledge" without reading a single word.

Therefore, you do not tolerate any discusssions about the actual questions or simulations you'll face in the exam nor posting any braindump crap.

This leads to the question how people will benefit from this forum now: Technical discussions, guidance on labs/exams/literature, ask questions, discuss problems, clarify any doubts, etc.

Of course, people can still share their experience as long as you don't go into the specifics of the exam questions and simulations. It's not a secret at all that you'll face some questions regarding redistribution or OSPF over frame-relay in the ROUTE exam. ;)

There is a very easy way to avoid trouble: USE YOUR OWN WORDS! So if you come across some difficult question/lab then spend some time to phrase your own question. No one learns anything if people copy screenshots taken from braincrap materials and request "gimme answer". Instead let us know what you did, what went wrong, what your doubt is, and I'm sure one of our TE's or members will be able to help you.

So this forum is still all about technical discussions and sharing knowledge. The only thing that really changed is the fact that we eliminated all that braindump crap. Discussions on whether or not to use braindumps are of course officially allowed. :) That's definitely covered by the freedom of speech.

Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask and/or share your comments with us!

Because so many stuff already out there and it is difficult to chose the best one. I tried to summarize the best deals regarding CCIP, any suggestions/corrections are more than welcome.

###########################################################################

Qos

Videos

Cbtnuggets cisco 642-642 CCVP QOS

Books

1.CCVP QOS Quick Reference Sheets (Digital Short Cut)

2.Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide, Second Edition

3.Cisco Press CCIP CCVP QoS Student Guide V2.2 Vol I and Vol II

Workbooks

Cisco QoS v 2.1 Lab Guide

Narbik The Foundation 2.0 - The Gap from CCNP to CCIE

Narbik Advanced CCIE Routing & Switching 2.0 Work Book

CCNP Optimizing Converged Networks (ONT 642-845) Lab Portfolio

=====================================================

MPLS

Videos

Netmasterclass MPLS COD / Cisco 360 CCIE R&S MPLS Lessons

Books

1.Cisco Press configuring MPLS Student Guide V 2.2 Vol 1 & Vol 2

2.Cisco.Press.MPLS.Fundamentals.Nov.2006

3.MPLS and VPN Architectures, Vol. II

Workbooks

Cisco MPLS v2.1 Lab Guide

Cisco MPLS v2.2 Lab Guide

=====================================================

BGP

Videos

1.Netmasterclass BGP COD / Cisco 360 CCIE R&S BGP Lessons

2.Internetwork expert CCIE R&S COD V4 Day4 (BGP)

Books

1.Cisco Press configuring BGP Student Guide V 3.2 Vol 1 & Vol 2

2.Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook (CCIE Professional Development) - W. Parkhurst - Cisco – 2001

3.Internet Routing Architectures, Second Edition, Sam Halabi, Cisco Press

Workbooks

Cisco BGP v 3.1 Lab Guide

Narbik The Foundation 2.0 - The Gap from CCNP to CCIE

Narbik Advanced CCIE Routing & Switching 2.0 Work Book

Good list. I've used Narbik's workbooks a lot for all three.

I have to add that the Cisco 360 BGP, MPLS, and Cat QoS Labs (when repeated a few times) offer quite a "base-level" skillset that can be used for more diverse configurations.

I'd like to add the Sybex CCIP MPLS book - it is now out of print but you'll see that the step by step practical lab examples are amazingly similar to those used by Narbik and INE... even if the Sybex books pre-dates both of our esteemed vendor's products.

I like the Sybex CCIP MPLS book and it helped me finally pass the MPLS the first time. I'll use it again.

BGP can be found mostly everywhere and I must say some of the videos available for BGP are top notch.

Prefix-list Mastery and RegExp need to be added to the must-haves to know and know well.

The SRND v3.3 and the Cisco Press Frame Relay book are my picks for QoS - for the primary foundation for QoS.

The NMC/Cisco 360 Product is concise and to the point for QoS.

I'm going to take all three exams and be reviewing my materials I compiled the first time I finally passed each of these exams.

And yes, I've failed some of them too. Ouch!

Has been replaced by an other exam?

It has been replaced only in case of regarding CCVP and CCNP Voice

But for CCIP still it is valid.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le8/learning_certification_type_home.html

CCIP Exams & Recommended Training

Required Exam(s)

Recommended Training

642-902 ROUTE Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE)

642-642 QOS Implementing Cisco Quality of Service (QoS)

642-661 BGP Configuring BGP on Cisco Routers (BGP)

642-611 MPLS Implementing Cisco MPLS (MPLS)

OR

Required Exam(s)

Recommended Training

642-902 ROUTE Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE)

642-642 QOS Implementing Cisco Quality of Service (QoS)

642-691 BGP+MPLS Configuring BGP on Cisco Routers (BGP)

Implementing Cisco MPLS (MPLS)

Just in case when it would be invalid then they will tend to mention it in CCIP section. For example here in CCSP you can see some of the exams are being retiring in this year..

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le54/learning_certification_type_home.html

Cisco Certified Security Professional Exams & Recommended Training

Required Exam(s)

Recommended Training

642-504 SNRS

Last day to test: 04/08/11 Securing Networks with Cisco Routers and Switches (SNRS)

OR

642-637 SECURE v1.0 Secure v1.0 Securing Networks with Cisco Routers and Switches (SECURE v1.0)

642-524 SNAF

Last day to test: 04/08/11 Securing Networks with ASA Foundation (SNAF)

OR

642-617 FIREWALL v1.0 Deploying Cisco ASA Firewall Solutions (FIREWALL v1.0)

HTH.