Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
faisal.saleem

Achieving coordinates of an object

Hi,

I am just curious if there are some other methods except GSM through which exact coordinates of an object could be achieved in an ad hoc communication system.

I mean can CDMA or any other technology provide this facility? thanks.

FS, location services are available for any mobile phone network, even AMPS; it’s just a matter of implementation on the back end. As to 802.11, yes you can implement a “real time location system” however the design requirements for it compete with the requirements for WLAN coverage, so integrating an RTLS and WLAN in the same frequency band either 2.4GHz or 5GHz is really hard if you’re seeking the maximum of available RF bandwidth for the network.

Didn’t understand the reference to ad-hoc, please elaborate.

@Mark, thanks for this one, it looks like all in one solution :).

@sirkozz, here "ad hoc" means just to meet a particular need a temporarily connection is established between two or more wireless nodes( without having a base station). Well as per your statements what i understood is that we can implement RTLS by using other wireless technologies like CDMA, Wi-Fi, Wimax etc but on the back hand we tend to use GIS for tracing exact location via GUI interface.

Is this^ make any sense?

Faisal.