Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
gerg

Two tunnel interfaces and HSRP

We have one router which connects to two other routers on the remote end.

We have multiple setups with tunnel interfaces. So ideally i would have two tunnel interfaces to the two remote locations, both /30.

Is it possible to activate HSRP for the two tunnel interfaces? If not, is it possible to make one shared subnet/vlan between three routers, and then use Tunnel interfaces?

Or do the tunnel interfaces have to be a point to point link, a /30 always?

What's your connection on the WAN side? Basically R1 connects to R2 and R1 connects to R3, is that your setup?

What's your connection on the WAN side? Basically R1 connects to R2 and R1 connects to R3, is that your setup?

yeah r1 is the hub, r2 and r3 are spokes

now: /30 gre tunnel from r1 to r2, and /30 gre tunnel from r1 to r3

wanted: failover between the routers, if r1->r2 goes down, traffic should flow from r1->r3

so i was thinking hsrp address for r2 and r3 but don't know if this is possible

r1 is a 3750, r2 and r3 and 7200 routers

You want IPSEC tunnels or GRE? With GRE you can achieve this without any HSRP config. If not IPSEC&HSRP will work fine.

You want IPSEC tunnels or GRE? With GRE you can achieve this without any HSRP config. If not IPSEC&HSRP will work fine.

no ipsec needed

it's just sorta like a transit segment

so gre with redundancy

GRE with redundancy?

Just use a routing protocol and loopbacks interfaces as source/destination for the GRE tunnels.

GRE with redundancy?

Just use a routing protocol and loopbacks interfaces as source/destination for the GRE tunnels.

yeah exactly this is what the setup was

i guess the mpls network doesn't route to the loopback interfaces.. it's like we just add in some networks on r2 and advertise it, but service provider doesn't know how to route to the loopbacks is my guess

yeah exactly this is what the setup was

i guess the mpls network doesn't route to the loopback interfaces.. it's like we just add in some networks on r2 and advertise it, but service provider doesn't know how to route to the loopbacks is my guess

Is a layer 3 VPN? Are the loopbacks advertised to the SP?

Maybe your provider have some route filtering in place, and you'll have to ask them to allow routes to your loopbacks.

Edited by kecho

Is a layer 3 VPN? Are the loopbacks advertised to the SP?

Maybe your provider have some route filtering in place, and you'll have to ask them to allow routes to your loopbacks.

im not sure what type of vpn it is, yeah i advertised the routes to the loopbacks on r2 to r1 and i see them coming in on r1

i guess the service provider is either filtering them or does not route to them somehow

im not sure what type of vpn it is, yeah i advertised the routes to the loopbacks on r2 to r1 and i see them coming in on r1

i guess the service provider is either filtering them or does not route to them somehow

If you run a routing protocol with the PE routers, must be a layer 3 VPN...

No need for HSRP here if you are runnign mpls and have gre with ipsec. I assume you have a dynamic routing protocol on the LAN networks connected to the spoke router. The routing protocol will work to route the LAN traffic over which ever tunnel is up or primary. If you want to pick which tunnel is primary use the delay statement for EIGRP. I am not as good with OSPF. I can't come up with a reason for HSRP on the WAN interfaces of your spokes.