Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
new things

TCP and non-TCP behavior in same queue?

You have to be more specific of your question.

in the same queue? This is QOS related question?

If I understand you correctly, you have a queue on an interface where TCP and non-TCP (UDP) packets are flowing. If the queue starts raising, there is FIFO algorithm inside this queue. If you match different protocols, then you can put them in different queues. Let's say 1queue for TCP, another queue for all others.

Please explain the question.

• Upvote 1

yes dudes it look bit confusing,

actually my question is if two packets(TCP and UDP) are there in same queue (i made a simple sim)

---------------------------------

| |TCP| |UDP| |TCP| |TCP| |UDP| |

--------------------------------

how the congestion algorithm (WRED) works on the queue.

is it possible to see the behavior of the queue(live traffic) visually, is there any tool?

if any need clarification please let me know.

WRED simply works according to the configuration you provided: if traffic bears some special class marking (AF xy, CS ab) then it will read extra config lines, if not it will follow the thresholds you set up.

Also bear in mind that UDP is not "supported" by WRED. For UDP you would better use FRED if your equipments knows about it. Just don't be shy to read some good Cisco doc. It's all there, there are no news since years now.

• Upvote 1

WRED simply works according to the configuration you provided: if traffic bears some special class marking (AF xy, CS ab) then it will read extra config lines, if not it will follow the thresholds you set up.

Also bear in mind that UDP is not "supported" by WRED. For UDP you would better use FRED if your equipments knows about it. Just don't be shy to read some good Cisco doc. It's all there, there are no news since years now.

thx laf_c, yes WRED doen't support UDP,

i am learner i don't know actual process applying WRED on queue or packets,

WRED operates on each queue or any other process?,

if it applies on each queue in queue have both tcp and udp packets how the behaviour of WRED.

is there any possiblity to see the perticuler queue have perticuler packets(UDP | TCP) in live or normal traffic.

Edited by new things

in the same queue? This is QOS related question?

If I understand you correctly, you have a queue on an interface where TCP and non-TCP (UDP) packets are flowing. If the queue starts raising, there is FIFO algorithm inside this queue. If you match different protocols, then you can put them in different queues. Let's say 1queue for TCP, another queue for all others.

Please explain the question.

how to put each one (TCP|UDP) in a separte queue, if avaliable please share configration.

It seems you just like to toy these packets ^_^ . If this is the case just read about Cisco queuing methods.

One example for you, use CBWFQ, there create two classes one for TCP packets, one for UDP packets then assign some BW for each class and here you are.

Still packets are not "for play"; try moving to real-life scenarios then use GNS to implement them or even real equipments.

Edited by laf_c

!
ip access-list extended TCP
permit tcp any any
ip access-list extended UDP
permit UDP any any
!
class-map UDP
match access-group name UDP
class-map TCP
match access-group name TCP
!