• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 syedabbas

syedabbas

Hardware & Microsoft

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Interested in Microsoft Products and in the field of networking and security. Have completed my A+,MCP,MCTS and now hoping to get my RHCE soon.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

Google Accidentally Resets Over 500,000 Gmail Accounts

The unthinkable has happened. If you have a Gmail account, you might wanna go check it right now, because Google has just confirmed that as many as 500,000 Gmail users (or 0.29% of the total as per Google) have just had their accounts reset. Effectively, they have, as of now, lost a whole lotta emails, attachments, labels, folders and chat logs!

This reset, which was first reported by the Huffington Post, is apparently the result of some bug. Those affected by this unfortunate accident are now greeted with Gmail’s welcome messages, with their previous data missing. The latest update from the Google blog tells us that the Google engineers are currently working on the problem, and that the missing data should be restored asap.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of the post, this incident is truly unthinkable, for the simple reason that Google and its services are THE most reliable ones amongst all that is available. To see such kind of a horrible accident happen to Gmail, a mail service majority of the world uses, is worrying and foreboding. An accident of this nature makes it clear that even cloud computing may not keep our data reliably safe and sound. I can personally confirm that I have not been affected by this reset. What about you?

Source: [code]http://gigjets.com/02/google-accidentally-resets-over-500000-gmail-accounts/[/code]

Regards,
Syed Abbas

#2 kamtec1

kamtec1

Microsoft Servers Expert

• Technical Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:MCSE/MCSA/A+/MCTS
    Microsoft Servers
    Microsoft Products
    IPTell
    CEH
    CISCO
    Microsoft® Certified IT Professional ﴾MCITP﴿

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

[quote name='syedabbas' timestamp='1298899587' post='904046']
[b]Google Accidentally Resets Over 500,000 Gmail Accounts[/b]

The unthinkable has happened. If you have a Gmail account, you might wanna go check it right now, because Google has just confirmed that as many as 500,000 Gmail users (or 0.29% of the total as per Google) have just had their accounts reset. Effectively, they have, as of now, lost a whole lotta emails, attachments, labels, folders and chat logs!

This reset, which was first reported by the Huffington Post, is apparently the result of some bug. Those affected by this unfortunate accident are now greeted with Gmail’s welcome messages, with their previous data missing. The latest update from the Google blog tells us that the Google engineers are currently working on the problem, and that the missing data should be restored asap.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of the post, this incident is truly unthinkable, for the simple reason that Google and its services are THE most reliable ones amongst all that is available. To see such kind of a horrible accident happen to Gmail, a mail service majority of the world uses, is worrying and foreboding. An accident of this nature makes it clear that even cloud computing may not keep our data reliably safe and sound. I can personally confirm that I have not been affected by this reset. What about you?

Source: [code]http://gigjets.com/02/google-accidentally-resets-over-500000-gmail-accounts/[/code]

Regards,
Syed Abbas
[/quote]

Yes , Google is Google ... to many things Google wants creates and the value of the things is decreasing ...

#3 chrcel

chrcel

Cisco Voice and Apps Expert

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

and one more unthinkable happened Google have gotten the count down to .012% and perhaps to all the rest as well. nicely done! http://gmailblog.blo...r-everyone.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users