Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ITPro999

AIR-LAP1142 issue

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have a refurbished AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9 here. I need to wipe off all configs. After I log in to the LAP, it says the following msg:

%CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

So, does it mean I have to set up CAPWAP WLC to wipe it off?

Thanks.

This is normal, the device does not have layer 3 connectivity, so how can it send a packet to a controller.

The AP is not connected to a DHCP server right? You know this is a “light weight” AP?

This is normal, the device does not have layer 3 connectivity, so how can it send a packet to a controller.

The AP is not connected to a DHCP server right? You know this is a “light weight” AP?

Yes, true. It is a Light weight AP. It is not connected to anything. All I wanna do to wipe off its previous configs. FActory resret it. But I could not do it. Any idea?

It’s configured to be a true “light weight” AP, no IP, no nothing, your good!

It’s a “light weight” AP, what are you trying to configure?

It’s a “light weight” AP, what are you trying to configure?

I am not trying to configure it. All I want is to wipe off anything previously saved on it. It always have a config.text file. I deleted the file, restarted it and config.text is there again. why?

Do you know any e-resource about a basic level of config for a CAPWAP-enabled WLC? I can try to config CAPWAP WLC and then wipe this LAP off. What d u reckon?

As far as I have understood from all I have been reading, all config files sit in the WLC. And a LAP has nothing saved on it. As soon as a LAP connects to the WLC, it pulls its config from the WLC. Am I right?

Check out:

hxxp://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ohara-capwap-lwapp-04

Copied from the doc:

“This sequence of events must occur in order for an LAP to register to a WLC:

1. The LAPs issue a DHCP discovery request to get an IP address, unless it has previously had a static IP address configured.

2. The LAP sends LWAPP discovery request messages to the WLCs.

3. Any WLC that receives the LWAPP discovery request responds with an LWAPP discovery response message.

4. From the LWAPP discovery responses that the LAP receives, the LAP selects a WLC to join.

5. The LAP then sends an LWAPP join request to the WLC and expects an LWAPP join response.

6. The WLC validates the LAP and then sends an LWAPP join response to the LAP.

7. The LAP validates the WLC, which completes the discovery and join process. The LWAPP join process includes mutual authentication and encryption key derivation, which is used to secure the join process and future LWAPP control messages.

8. The LAP registers with the controller”

You can hard code a static IP on the AP that’s it, but since your AP is looking for a DHCP server there’s nothing on it. After step 8 the WLC sends a config down to the AP. The fact that the AP doesn’t save a config is a good thing from a security standpoint, as the theft of the AP does not compromise the enterprise.

Check out:

hxxp://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ohara-capwap-lwapp-04

Copied from the doc:

“This sequence of events must occur in order for an LAP to register to a WLC:

1. The LAPs issue a DHCP discovery request to get an IP address, unless it has previously had a static IP address configured.

2. The LAP sends LWAPP discovery request messages to the WLCs.

3. Any WLC that receives the LWAPP discovery request responds with an LWAPP discovery response message.

4. From the LWAPP discovery responses that the LAP receives, the LAP selects a WLC to join.

5. The LAP then sends an LWAPP join request to the WLC and expects an LWAPP join response.

6. The WLC validates the LAP and then sends an LWAPP join response to the LAP.

7. The LAP validates the WLC, which completes the discovery and join process. The LWAPP join process includes mutual authentication and encryption key derivation, which is used to secure the join process and future LWAPP control messages.

8. The LAP registers with the controller”

You can hard code a static IP on the AP that’s it, but since your AP is looking for a DHCP server there’s nothing on it. After step 8 the WLC sends a config down to the AP. The fact that the AP doesn’t save a config is a good thing from a security standpoint, as the theft of the AP does not compromise the enterprise.

Great! Thanks a lot!