Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Dirizhor

My career, my rules

What do you want me to write about ?   9 members have voted

1. 1. Which are the items you'd want me to explore more on ?

• Career Options
    • Changing Careers from a field to another
    • Experience or Money- What do I choose?
    • Setting Career Goals- How to ?
    • Who do I trust to make a decision or can I have someone decide for me ?
    • Is Professional Resume writing a requirement, is it worth spending some $$ ?
    • Where do I start my career- Startup or a massive giant?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

Sadikhovians,

It has been a while since I actually wrote something meaningful rather worthwhile benefiting the community. It has always been about what I wanted to write or what I thought was most important. For a change, I'd like to try something new. What if, I were to write exactly what you'd want to know about.

Some ground rules are:

1. All material proposed to be written here will be based on a lot of research and online write ups from various articles floating around in the internet
  2. Source for all the articles will be shared and I will re do the poll again once I'm exhausted writing and responding to all possible questions
  3. I'd not want to give personal opinions on anyone's career or the choices you are willing to take. I can however provide my perspective and should be treated only as my view point and it would be up to you to take it seriously or not
  4. I'll try and address all Geographies and all age groups as a our forum has a global reach and we have members from everywhere and almost all age groups.

I need to hear from you if this will benefit you in any smallest possible way

Update: I only have 3 votes so far. Would it be too much to ask for more votes please ?

I liked the idea and as requested faisal, here you go:

Completed: Update: Where do I start my career- Startup or a massive giant?

Cheers,

Dirizhor

Edited by The Dirizhor

grate idea Dirizhor

im pretty sure beginners would like to know where they can start they careers (i know that from my own experience ) so article about that would be great for a starter! I know there is one already on the forum but i think that somebody could cover it in more detail.

And the second question i have chosen is: experience or money? Currently im looking for another job and i simply cannot choose the right one because i don’t know what will be better for me in future: more money or more experience? And i always end up thinking: maybe next week there will be a perfect job match with right money and possibilities to learn new stuff. But no! It never happens... so i would like to know how more expierienced guys deal with this kind of problems :)

Nice work mate and keep it up. As already mentioned by cr4zy1w4n i would also say that majority of our new members wants help on "Where do I start my career- Startup or a massive giant?"

And personally for me i have this one to deal ==> Changing Careers from a field to another

Faisal.

Great, that is a start. Now the plan is that I'll keep the poll open for a couple of more days, will wait for more votes and choose the most required item and go in that order....

Great initiative.

I am interested in all your suggested topics but especially in "Experience vs Money" one.

I am currently a little bit confused about my IT Career and I would really like some advice or at least to read more from others experience.

Where do I start my career- Startup or a massive giant?

Life out of college/ school sounds too early in life to chase our dreams ? I wouldn't think so. We start chasing our dreams when we want to start. Finding THAT ideal dream job with a corporation may at times get a wee bit hard to find, not impossible. You'd have a structured team with well defined process and procedures. Our ability to innovate or be creative in change will take its own time in a corporate world. Unlike startups where you have ownership and are more open to change as everyone there in a start-up is trying to make it work at the same time proving themselves.

Start ups won't pay big, but the experience you gain working for a startup is unmatchable. It is easy to make a buck with a corporate, have a party every weekend and sit down to scratch your head after 3-4 years to realise your dream and the career don't really match and you want to undo and get back to chasing your dream.

Remember both startups and corporations have their negatives and positives. Analyse the options you have in hand. Startups mean high risk and high return. Corporate is, I'd not say low but, medium risk and medium returns.

You may not be able to define your career the first day out of college, but you should be able to say where you'd like to be after 3 years, after 6 years and even after 9 years. Have short term and long term goals. Start consulting a much more experienced person to see how you can align your short term and long term goals. Your trusted professor can be a good start. You can ask your dad's friend too. No harm done in asking around to be sure of what you are doing or you have Sadikhov always to come and ask almost anything about IT, Certifications and Career.

Should I quit my job from the corporate I'm in and find a startup ? Not really, no. If you are already in a job, learn the traits of the job. Observer how well the structure and process works and where exactly does it break. Most corporations have everything built by its earlier employees and if they haven't revised, the processes would be old and even obsolete. Your ability to develop a horizontal skill knowledge base from a corporate and later working for a startup will also deem fruitful. You might have solutions to some problems a start-up might have if not all.

You are more dedicated to a smaller part of the business in corporate. In startups you end up doing more than just your part of the job as required in the company. Work at least once in a startup in your career. It will definitely be benefitting experience. Here are some articles from the web. I've only taken the latest (2011 or 2010) to ensure it helps all of us

Market Trend in America: http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/05/few-americans-work-in-startups.html

Article 1: http://learntoduck.com/startups/startup-life.corporate-life

Article 2: http://blog.startuproots.org/interning-at-a-startup-vs-a-big-corporation-5

Discussion in Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/answers/startups-small-businesses/starting-up/STR_STP/68314-3282716

-D

Simply great, i have just nominated this thread for post of the month May 2011. Ok dirizhor shall we expect the rest items of poll in future? If yes then i have a little suggestion that time to time you can edit your 1st post and write there as you wrote in post#6 so that readers would be easily find all the pool items in the first post. Anyway its up to you how you feels better to manage it...

Faisal.

@Faisal, done as requested. I'll continue to do for the rest of the poll items as well. However if you or rest of the members seriously require any other items you'd like me to write about, I can give it a shot..

-D

AMAZING article,

Can you speak about Job Hopping , I see some guy's switching Job's every year, and some guy's sticking to one company forever.................Any view's on that...........How do the guy's switching Job's every year manage to convince the HR .......... :P

Job Hopping in a modern world...

Hmmm.... Who you calling a job hopper?

Let's see...

1987-1994 - US Navy

1994-1995 - Mostly School, McDonald's, 7-11, and Computer Depot - Started my own consulting business doing computer repairs and even did my first professional networking gig for a doctor's office.

1996-1997 - Still working solo, Took a 3 month contract with a downtown firm. Then took the job with the city as a contractor

1998 - Accepted a full-time job with the city. Let my ego get in the way a little and so...

1999 - Took a contract with a company to do Y2K Assessments with Lasers. Went perm. Didn't like it as much. Took a contact with a college... finished out the year.

2000 - Took a contract with a book seller... didn't like the environment. Got offered a job but turned it down - CIO was not for me... nor was Technical Director... Took the job working for a smaller company - loved it. Pay wasn't great yet but it was acceptable at the time. Stayed for a year. Did everything and then moved on... to bigger and better things.

2001 - Next came... a software development company for... the mortgage industry or was it another book seller - but this time I was a hired gun with my CCNA still fresh... and working on my CCNP/CCDP... Yep. Good times. Lots of work, wireless, and new experiences...

Some dude got threatened and I figured I could find another job faster than he could - I left for greener pastures.

Came quickly... I tried another consulting company... The owner had an ego bigger than mine... I tried to quit and he asked me to stay... despite my refusal to agree to a non-compete. Lasted a whole weekend. I left.

2002 - The dark times... Spent 3 weeks between jobs... and then it rained... Got two jobs and 6 classes + all my MCSE exams paid for in a single shot!!! How kewl is that?

2005 - Left the school district and went to the big UO...

2006 - Spent 1.5 years more or less at a theme park and it was time to fly to a bigger company with more needs...

2008 - Took a chance on a local Cisco Partner... I lost. Then came another Fortune 500 Company for a whole two months... that was about all I could stand of being put in a corner and told to keep quiet...

2008 - Present... Got the best job of my life so far!!!

- Finally found a home!!!

- Decent pay, good team, lots of benefits, lots of training - just finished my 4th week inside of 12 months... going for another week next month and then to Cisco Live after that...

How did I handle the questions of "job hopping"?

Well...

1. I explained my position - I am an eager, dynamic, and non-stop learning kind of professional who produces top quality results and am highly self-motivated. I also explain that I am looking for a challenge. My biggest mission is to find a company I could settle down with.

And when asked why I left, I briefly explain why for each of the last 2-3 engagements - normally:

- Personal Growth and Direction

- Job may not have lasted or company changed direction (You'd be surprised)

- Boss's changed - I'm extremely loyal to the guy who hires me - it's a mutual "click" - never one way.

- Challenge - Some company's have no need or plans to change, grow, develop, or improve - can't stay - just not my idea of the perfect job.

- Should be moving up and improving or moving out and moving on... keep moving.

More advice:

- Never bash.

- Look to the positives and avoid the negatives.

- Know what your goals are and what kind of company you want to work for and be able to explain it clearly - if the job you are interested in thinks it fills the bill... you may get the job offer.

- Keep skills current, sharp as a razor, and portable.

- Take on the most exciting, new, and challenging projects you can handle.

- If there are none, work on the current environment and improve what you have.

- Be successful!!! Feel it, live it, breathe it... exude it from your pores!!!

Does that help a little?

FYI - I'm heading into my third year with the company and still going strong...

Find a home!!! Whatever you do find the right job for you.

Simply Superb , Very nice...................You left nothing for THE DIRIZHOR.............. :D ,I'll keep all your point's in mind when i start hunting for a Job ........... :P

Amazing Post Darby, I honestly couldn't have come up with anything like that! :)

Hi DIRIZHOr,

You can still add on ............If there is anything in your mind on that topic , Please feel free to express it............. :)