Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
madhan77

Interview question regarding email

Users in a company can send mail to all domains but can't send mails just to 1 particular domain

Answer:

1. Security policy prevent access to that domain

2. The remote domain exchange server is down

3. Our Mail exchane IP address is blocked

I'm not sure about the last answer I suggested. Could there be any other reasons as well. Thanks

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Short answer it depends, there could be quite some good reasons for this to happen and as usual with this kind of questions without being able to check logs, trace the connection or read any NDR that is generate you can only best guess what went wrong. Among the possible causes I can think on top of my mind (in addittion to the above):

- Remote server with incorrect configuration or some services flapping.

- Aggressive filters that are grey listing your domain effectiely holding the message in a temporary quarantine

- Wrong MX configuration for the remote domain

- Wrong Firewall configuration on the other side

- Some host in the middle that is blocking your mail

There are more but well it would take too much time to think about all possiblity here :) The last answer could be totally correct, while it is not the best filtering method you can statically or dynamically, and yet for a limited amount of time or in a permanent way, block messages coming from a specific IP with silent drop...

I could go on talking about this for hours but the short answer is still, it depends.

If I can help you any further let me know.

Cheers Lethe.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Users in a company can send mail to all domains but can't send mails just to 1 particular domain

Answer:

I'm not sure about the last answer I suggested. Could there be any other reasons as well. Thanks

No, i don't think there are anymore reasons.. You got everything in your pocket... :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

SMTP Spam Black-lists are possible.

Answer:

Hi .

There is many things why email that sends could not reach the needed destination so Darby Weaver and Lethe are right .

But , there could be a local reason for the problem like block lists in outlook or domain in block list and cannot be reached because your exchange is blocking .

Many reasons :)))

P.S. There is n short answer in that kind of question :) )

Good luck .

Recipient mail server which checks for “Reverse MX A records (PTR)” can also block the mail if the same is missing;