Site Offline

The community is currently offline and only accessible to those with permission.

Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
abdu_mka

Problem with AD 2003 and 2008

Dear all

I Have am existing 2003 domain , one server that is a dns server "active directory integrated " and Domain controller , I wanted to change that DC with another one 2008 standard edition

what I was planing to do is put the 2008 server as an additional domain controller with the 2003 , in the installation 2008 asked me to do some commands adprep.exe /domainprep and adprep.exe /forestprep and adprep.exe /rodcprep all of them went well except rodcprep it gave me this error message

Adprep could not contact the Domain Naming FSMO to read the partitions. The Domain Naming FSMO must be reachable for this operation to proceed.

[status/Consequence]

The Active Directory Domain Services DNS partitions are not prepared for Read Only DCs.

[user Action]

Check the log file ADPrep.log in the C:\WINDOWS\debug\adprep\logs\20110525112022

directory for possible cause of failure.

Adprep encountered a Win32 error.

Error code: 0x54b Error message: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted..

so I continued without this command , and I made the new 2008 server an additional domain controller and a dns server , the new 2008 server had all of my AD objects and i can create new objects , but when the 2003 DC is down I can't use the 2008 I can't even login and all of the workstation can't login and no one can use the internet " I'm using ISA server "

some pics :

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9263/error2o.jpg

error1r.jpg

error2o.jpg

error3dh.jpg

can Any one help me please ??

• Downvote 1

It's is quite difficult to diagnose what exactly the problem is at this stage, as a matter of fact the 2008 domain controller (despite the fact that AD has been installed) cannot replicate with the 2003 sysvol.

What I was wondering is the following :

- how much time did you wait after the schema extension?

- I assume this is a small 1 site deployment with no branch sites

- Did you remove any domain controller in the past?

- Are you able to see the FSMO role holder for the domain and forest?

The error you got about the Domain Naming master FSMO is pretty bad as it is the server responsible to allow the addition/removal of domain in the forest. What I would start checking is the above and follow this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949257/en-us which should at least help you starting somehwere.

Cheers Lethe.

It's is quite difficult to diagnose what exactly the problem is at this stage, as a matter of fact the 2008 domain controller (despite the fact that AD has been installed) cannot replicate with the 2003 sysvol.

What I was wondering is the following :

- how much time did you wait after the schema extension?

- I assume this is a small 1 site deployment with no branch sites

- Did you remove any domain controller in the past?

- Are you able to see the FSMO role holder for the domain and forest?

The error you got about the Domain Naming master FSMO is pretty bad as it is the server responsible to allow the addition/removal of domain in the forest. What I would start checking is the above and follow this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949257/en-us which should at least help you starting somehwere.

Cheers Lethe.

Dear Lethe

thank you soooo much for your reply , but can you please tell me more about the first step you mentioned " time after schema extension ?"

i have a small site no branches ,,, I used to have another DC "dc01" , but i transfered the five operation master to an additional 2003 "dc02" server which the one I talked about , then I shutdown the old DC "dc01"

then added additional 2008 server

from the 2008 server I can see that dc02 is the holder for 4 operation masters , but when I try to add the schemma snap in to the mmc it gives me this error

RegSvr32

[Content]

The module "schmmgmt.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040201.

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

[OK]

ok I can see from my 2008 server all operation masters are in the dc02 "2003 server"

will it help if i transfer all operation masters to the 2008 additional domain controller ?

The time I was talking about is the fact that usually there is a lag time between the transfer of a FSMO role to a serer and the time tht AD needs to aknowledge this, that's why I asked you if you did wait some time.

For the errors you are getting I suspect you are suffering of poor network communications and/or name resolutions as all the errors you mentioned leads to this kind of problems.

I would have a look at this article to make sure you have everything that is needed in the DNS side for AD http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759550(WS.10).aspx

Let me know cheers Lethe.

I have another problem :

---------------------------

Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard

A delegation for this DNS server cannot be created because the authoritative parent zone cannot be found or it does not run Windows DNS server. To enable reliable DNS name resolution from outside the domain AGOCOHQ.COM, you should create a delegation to this DNS server manually in the parent zone.Do you want to continue?

Yes No

??? can anyone help ?

to raise it to 2008 functional level all your DOMAIN CONTROLLERS must be win 2008 server if any of your DC's are 2003 functional level must be 2003