Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marc Jones

Home made cables.

Just wondering how many of you make your own cables for your labs etc.

I made some a few years ago when I was in a CCNA academy for a bit and that was that.

However, the other day I decided to make all my crossovers for my Switch lab.

Honestly I can say I hated every minute of it, the first few where horrible but by the end I was flying through them.

Ordered a few more connectors and boots from eBay, will re-cable my whole lab so everything looks pretty but I think that will be the end of my cable making days.

• Downvote 1

I do not do them myself anymore. Now I only make them when I'd have to way for them to be shipped.

I cabled all my lab (twice) with home made cables and still use them from time to time when I don't have any patch/cable handy :) Just easier than go out and buy them... keep in mind I live in Zurich and nothing is cheap here not even cables :P

I'm pretty "skilled" in that as in my early days in IT, way tooooooo many years ago, I was making cables all the time for our customers and had to learn to be fast about making them ;)

L.

Done thousands of ethernet cables myself. With the proper tools, it is not so annoying. If it wasn't for the wire colours, I believe I can make them with eyes closed. I even done splitters and joiners. However if I had a choice, I'd rather buy them.

Never, ever, made any for personal use, always pro, you know like when the cabling contractor puts the drop 50 feet from where it’s really supposed to be, guess what, you make a 55 foot patch cable.

I’ll expand the question when was the last time anyone crimped LMR-800 with an N-Male connector, or any type of RF antenna cable with any type of RF connector?

0.30p on ebay

Mark

Ha ha ha I know...Im such a miser.

One of the Engineers in work looked at me like I was scum when I said I didnt make my own cables so I decided to give it ago.

I’ll expand the question when was the last time anyone crimped LMR-800 with an N-Male connector, or any type of RF antenna cable with any type of RF connector?

I did once for my PC-Card wifi I needed to change the connector (but I don't want to know the attenuation or that thing...). And than a bunch of coax and TV antenna cables :)