Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Qstyk

Strange IPv6 OSPF over Frame-Relay Error Meesage

2 posts in this topic

When working my way through a practice lab, I encountered the following scenario in a hub-and-spoke environment.

R5 (hub): point-to-multipoint subinterface

R4 (spoke): point-to-point subinterface

R6 (spoke): physical interface

My natural inclination is to force the physical interface (R6) to a point-to-point interface, the multipoint (R4) to point-to-multipoint, and have R5 be a point-to-point interface. Everything seemed to configure properly, until I entered in the neighbor statements. At that point, I received the message:

*Mar 4 20:02:28.945: %OSPFv3-4-CFG_NBR_P2MP_NEEDS_COST: Can not use configured neighbor: cost or database-filter option is required for point-to-multipoint broadcast network

From Cisco's error message decoder, this means that: The configured neighbor was found on a point-to-multipoint broadcast network. Either the cost or database-filter option needs to be configured.

Recommended Action: Check the configuration options for the neighbor command and correct the options or the network type for the neighbor's interface.

My first thought was that this was due to changing the type on the physical interface, but I received this message when applying the neighbor message to both spokes. My next thought was that this could be because the broadcast flag on my map statements was on the link-local address and not the physical, but this did not appear to matter, after switching.

My question is two-fold:

1. What caused the error message? The fact that the altered physical interface was a part of the network at all?
  2. My method of handling this topology was to use "ipv6 ospf network non-broadcast" on each interface. Is this the best method and if not, what should I have done differently?

Thanks in advance,

-Jon

Just write back and reload the messages will not be present

Error Message %OSPFv3-4-CFG_NBR_P2MP_NEEDS_COST: Can not use configured neighbor:

cost or database-filter option is required for point-to-multipoint broadcast

network

Explanation The configured neighbor was found on a point-to-multipoint broadcast network. Either

the cost or database-filter option needs to be configured.

Recommended Action Check the configuration options for the neighbor command and correct the

options or the network type for the neighbor’s interface.

Mark