Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mahin Al Rasheed

CD drive not working in exsi

The server will see the drive if you connect it as a "Client Device" and make sure you have "Connected at power on" ticked.

In most cases, you may prefer to use Datastore ISO File though.

The server will see the drive if you connect it as a "Client Device" and make sure you have "Connected at power on" ticked.

In most cases, you may prefer to use Datastore ISO File though.

Dear Admin,

Thanks your replay

I did all the settings as u said. But it is not working. We already install two server in that Exsi machine. Now when i created another VM, CD is not working. And i checked other server also in that also the CD is not working.

So any server in that platform the CD drive is not detecting. I think some options in the EXSI platform we have to change.

You didn't mention if it is a scsi or ide drive. As I understand, your virtual machines do not detect the drive.

This shouldn't however create a problem for you, since your esxi is connected to the network, you do not really need a physical drive, you can use ISOs or use a CD/DVD drive of your client machine.

Can virtual machines detect the drive if it is connected to anything other than servers?

just read an article yesterday, and they said that this problem occurs when your optical device is on the same channel with other devices, you may need to change the channel number. I don't remember all the details, so just google it.

Dear Admin,

Thanks your replay

I did all the settings as u said. But it is not working. We already install two server in that Exsi machine. Now when i created another VM, CD is not working. And i checked other server also in that also the CD is not working.

So any server in that platform the CD drive is not detecting. I think some options in the EXSI platform we have to change.

Dear friend,

I make ISO image and it is working on it.

Iam using IDE and before we install using physical drive and now i couldnt.

• Upvote 1

Does your motherboard support passthrough? You can check it in configuration tab in esx.

ESXi doesn't recognize IDE devices, either hard drives or CD/DVD drives. However, it will recognize a USB external drive; that's what i use for installation on all my ESXi machines. Hard drives can be SCSI, SATA, or SAS.

--

Barry

• Upvote 1