Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
krnl

Broadcast storm

8 posts in this topic

hi everyone

Sometimes i face broadcast storm in LAN which has 1000+ users. so i want 2 about how can i stop broadcast storm in LAN

nd is there ny s/w to find out broadcasting device in the n/w?????

spanning-tree should block broadcast storms. but all switches should support it. it's hard to locate the source. most likely is some loopback. check fiber interfaces or some users that are connecing some cables to switches

spanning-tree should block broadcast storms.

oh really? spanning tree only cares about loop free topology. it does not give a s..t about IP.

@krnl depending on what are your switches you can configure storm-control and let it send you traps or even disable violating ports.

thnks a lot 4 your suggestions.

@MarkinManchester: split n/w into 2 vlan is not possible at this moment .

@ZigAA: STP is a good way to reduce b/c storm but i when b/c storm occurs at that time how can i find that?

STP stops loops in a L2 topology, broadcast. you have an issue at L3. If you have a well configured network e.g. access, distribution, core all you need to do is setup monitor ports and put an old PC with wireshark on this monitor ports and wait for the next incidence of this problem.

Examine the logs and find the culprit, if you have a flat L2 network with that many hosts you need to do something with it quickly as the problem will only get bigger.

Mark

Mark's first advice is the only best solution to start with. Think seriously otherwise, as Mark suggested the problem become an avalanche. Better hurry and avoid it.